lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-10-2018, 04:45 PM   #1
brewyourown4life
Not Yet Wild

Default g2 stalling

my g2 just started stalling. it starts fine, runs for 20-30 seconds then dies. usually starts up again and does the same thing. other times have to let it sit for a minute and then starts and dies after 20-30 seconds
brewyourown4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-10-2018, 08:22 PM   #2
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: g2 stalling

Spark plug, fuel issue, fuel hoses or pulse hose cracked. I'd check that first, make sure airbox is sealed.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 08:49 AM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

if it runs for 20-30 seconds and dies then i would bet dollars to donuts either your ignition coil, or the ignitor is failing/failed. mine did the same thing when I got it.

Do you have a timing light? easy way to check for the loss of spark is to use a timing light. It doesn't have to point at anything or reference anything, just flash the light. Then put the cart in neutral, hit the gas and squeeze the trigger on the timing light. the engine will start and the timing light will flash. It should steadily, every time the spark plug fires. You will probably notice that as the engine stalls, the flash becomes irregular for a second, and then stops flashing all together. IF this happens then you are losing spark. IF it still flashes constant and regular, then it is a fuel issue or something else, but i really doubt that is the case.

ignition coils and ignitors are both common to fail once they get hot. Sometimes it may take a minute or two, sometimes just 30 seconds. Then after resting for a minut will work again for a minute and then stop

You can check the ignition coil by resistance. book states to check at 68 degrees, but that's not always possible. but i'd check it with cold engine, should be close to the values below. Then check it when it's hot and the engine stops running. There's a good chance it will register off the charts if the coil is bad.

Resistance between the 2 spade terminals on the ignition coil should be about 4 ohms.
Resistance of the spark plug cap (it screws on to the end of the wire, just unscrew it off the wire) should be 3.75-6.25 kilo ohms
Resistance between the spade terminal to the end of the plug wire where the cap screws on should be 11-15 kilo ohms.

unfortunately there is no test for the ignitor. A new one is in the range of $400 for an OEM one. I certainly wouldn't pay that. And I can't strongly enough recommend AGAINST buying one of the aftermarket ones all over ebay and amazon. They suck, plain and simple. if you search my name I started a thread probably 6 months ago "g9 sputters and dies... stumped". I spent $30 at o'reilly and bought a couple parts and rewired the cart to throw out the factory ignitor. Much better than spending $400 on a new ignitor, and the cart is still running like a champ today. I've not had one problem with it since I put the Chrysler parts in. I put all of the details, drew a better wiring diagram, parts, etc are all near the end of the thread.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 05:27 PM   #4
brewyourown4life
Not Yet Wild

thanks
brewyourown4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 09:45 PM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

yes, you used to be able to get a spark tester for $5 at most auto stores, it just goes on plug and wire and makes spark jump so you can see it. Anyway you can use one of those see if it loses spark when it quits. Then you know its an ignition issue not a fuel issue.(assuming your plug is good, because I have had them do that to me).
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:48 PM   #6
griffo002
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Poor fuel flow also can do that...Check your filter/line is not dribbling fuel thru....When the motor is stopped it is enough to fill the fuel bowl,run ok until the bowl is empty. When motor running the fuel flow can't keep up starving the engine ...hence stall.
griffo002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 04:25 PM   #7
ShawnQ
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
if it runs for 20-30 seconds and dies then i would bet dollars to donuts either your ignition coil, or the ignitor is failing/failed. mine did the same thing when I got it.

Do you have a timing light? easy way to check for the loss of spark is to use a timing light. It doesn't have to point at anything or reference anything, just flash the light. Then put the cart in neutral, hit the gas and squeeze the trigger on the timing light. the engine will start and the timing light will flash. It should steadily, every time the spark plug fires. You will probably notice that as the engine stalls, the flash becomes irregular for a second, and then stops flashing all together. IF this happens then you are losing spark. IF it still flashes constant and regular, then it is a fuel issue or something else, but i really doubt that is the case.

ignition coils and ignitors are both common to fail once they get hot. Sometimes it may take a minute or two, sometimes just 30 seconds. Then after resting for a minut will work again for a minute and then stop

You can check the ignition coil by resistance. book states to check at 68 degrees, but that's not always possible. but i'd check it with cold engine, should be close to the values below. Then check it when it's hot and the engine stops running. There's a good chance it will register off the charts if the coil is bad.

Resistance between the 2 spade terminals on the ignition coil should be about 4 ohms.
Resistance of the spark plug cap (it screws on to the end of the wire, just unscrew it off the wire) should be 3.75-6.25 kilo ohms
Resistance between the spade terminal to the end of the plug wire where the cap screws on should be 11-15 kilo ohms.

unfortunately there is no test for the ignitor. A new one is in the range of $400 for an OEM one. I certainly wouldn't pay that. And I can't strongly enough recommend AGAINST buying one of the aftermarket ones all over ebay and amazon. They suck, plain and simple. if you search my name I started a thread probably 6 months ago "g9 sputters and dies... stumped". I spent $30 at o'reilly and bought a couple parts and rewired the cart to throw out the factory ignitor. Much better than spending $400 on a new ignitor, and the cart is still running like a champ today. I've not had one problem with it since I put the Chrysler parts in. I put all of the details, drew a better wiring diagram, parts, etc are all near the end of the thread.
CP241,

Do your Chrysler parts account for the factory timing retard/advance of the stock ignition?

I am having an issue where my cart will run great for a while...then all of the sudden it will stall. Then I can't start it for weeks. One day I'll go out, it will fire right up and run for a few days followed by weeks of stalling.

Fuel system is all new with an electric pump, new filters, new plug, airbox is sealed, etc.
I'm fed up with it...but don't want to invest in a clone/BB conversion yet. As cheap as your part options are, I'm tempted to try them.

Thanks in advance
ShawnQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 04:34 PM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

G2 does not have advance ignition to begin with from what I understand. I dont think it does anything for advance but I'm certainly not hurting for performance. My G9 is on 20" Tires and will run 20mph all day, and the governor is NOT tightened down.
Old 10-17-2018, 04:39 PM   #9
ShawnQ
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
G2 does not have advance ignition to begin with from what I understand. I dont think it does anything for advance but I'm certainly not hurting for performance. My G9 is on 20" Tires and will run 20mph all day, and the governor is NOT tightened down.
I read somewhere that changing to a hei will cause me to lose my factory timing retard/advance. I honestly dont know if it has it from the factory or not.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
ShawnQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 04:41 PM   #10
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

If you have a G2 then from all the information there is no advance from factory. But even though my G9 had it, I have more than enough power. It pulls hills way harder than my ezgo txt with the 2 cylinder robins.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha