lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-08-2017, 04:48 PM   #11
hunt365
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1996 EZGO - Has Lift, Lots of Wandering in Steering

Mike, as raystar said you want about 1/8 toe in. Once you have the line on both front tires, measure from line to line on the back of tires about even with centerline. Without moving tires, measure line to line on front side of tires. Adjust tie rod to get the 1/8 toe in. Push or drive the cart back and forth a few times and recheck. In my experience a vehicle that is toed out will wander quite a bit. Ive set many lifted trucks using this method and it works pretty good. Also will keep from wearing the tires. Good luck.
hunt365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-11-2017, 06:55 PM   #12
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Toe out tends to make them wander and vague steering. Toe in to much and they get darty and nervous. This at higher speed on pavement. I finally took mine out on a road (since I have hit 38mph gps) and left he tie rods loose, I turned them in a little, out a little, figured out what I had, set them where it goes straight but steers when you turn it, locked them down. Oh yeah I turned both and got the wheel straight while I did that. Make sure when you start you turn the wheel both ways all the way and count turns, then turn it half way back, that is straight or your stuff is out of whack.

On top of all that you need to make sure you do not have play in your steering box or rack, tie rod ends, wheel bearings, suspension. If the rear suspension is soft and high and rocks side to side easily, that will not help you.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 11:19 AM   #13
BurntClutch
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Just a partial update here, found I had a bad front wheel bearing. Looks like the grease seal failed and had let some badness in there. Someone had played around, and the axle nut was pretty loose, to the point that once I pulled the cotter pin the nut came off without using a socket... Replaced bearings and races, and tightened the nut (with the tire actually on, not just the hub) and things seem to be OK.

I did notice that if I pick up the wheel, I can see the play in the greaseable joint. Ill have to see if there is a bushing or something that can be replaced, but getting the play out of the front I figure can only help things steer better.
BurntClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 11:39 AM   #14
Raystar57
Gone Wild

Club Car

On my 2003 Club Car D'S with new king pins and bushings
there is a very small amount of up and down play.
On mine this is normal. There is no tilt type of play.
Raystar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 07:47 PM   #15
BurntClutch
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ill have to see if I can get a video or a photo of the movement that Im seeing.

And after reading the shop manual Im wondering if I need to go back in and loosen the castle nut on the spindle. I went to resistance and went tighter to get the pin in.....the manual says go the other way. (Or maybe Im over thinking it.....)
BurntClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 08:43 PM   #16
brivy1900
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntClutch View Post
Ill have to see if I can get a video or a photo of the movement that Im seeing.

And after reading the shop manual Im wondering if I need to go back in and loosen the castle nut on the spindle. I went to resistance and went tighter to get the pin in.....the manual says go the other way. (Or maybe Im over thinking it.....)
You had to actually loosen the nut?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
brivy1900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 05:56 AM   #17
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by brivy1900 View Post
You had to actually loosen the nut?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
If the castle nut is tight it will burn up the bearings, snug up then back off a quarter turn, then to the next slot in nut for the cotter pin.
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts