lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-07-2016, 04:28 PM   #1
SuMeRbOaRd
Not Yet Wild

Question Motor runs, cart won't move. Not a stripped hub bearing

Hi everyone,

I've been doing some research on a problem we have with our golf cart and I'm trying to see if someone may be able to help me out in the right direction. We had 4 people on the golf cart the other day and we were accelerating after pulling out of a yard and it sounded like a belt or something popped off. We couldn't get the golf cart to move forward or backwards, and frankly while the motor was running slow, I switched it from Forward to Reverse a few times and it made a very slight sound, but nothing like what it would if things were working right!

I thought it was at first just a belt popped off, but upon inspection it looks like the belts are fine. The back secondary clutch also seems to be spinning and moving as expected, along with the primary clutch coming off the motor. Today I jacked it up and tried to move it in gear but didn't see any movement at the wheel ends of the shafts. I noticed the drives side was a little bit loose when I first touched it, and then while I was trying to get the wheel off, the whole wheel and axle pulled straight out!!! The splines don't look the best on the wheel side, but the inner splines where it goes into the differential look good.

The bearing that's inside the axle housing looks like it is destroyed, along with the CircleClip that holds the axle in. I purchased a replacement oil seal, circlip, and bearing in hope that if we put the shaft and everything back inside the axle and the wheel and all stays on, that the problem will be resolved, however I am concerned maybe there's something further in it that we may have messed up? I didn't notice any metal shavings anywhere on the input shaft.

Any help would be much appreciated! The parts I ordered should be in within a few days.
SuMeRbOaRd is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-07-2016, 07:02 PM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: Motor runs, cart won't move. Not a stripped hub bearing

What model car?
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 07:17 PM   #3
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Your good on your fix. The bearing fell apart and the axle came out. Not really a big deal.
Hardest part is getting the outer shell of the old rear wheel bearing out. Other than that you wont have any other damage.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 07:29 AM   #4
SuMeRbOaRd
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblock450sl View Post
What model car?
G16 Gas
Old 09-08-2016, 07:31 AM   #5
SuMeRbOaRd
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf cart guy View Post
Your good on your fix. The bearing fell apart and the axle came out. Not really a big deal.
Hardest part is getting the outer shell of the old rear wheel bearing out. Other than that you wont have any other damage.
Yeah, it looks like the bearing was completely destroyed and like melted in. I got part of it out but not all of it yet. Should I just pull it out with something? I couldn't tell if it was the remnants of the bearing or something else broken, but yeah, I think it's just the bearing. The little balls were falling out and stuff. Thanks for the help
Old 09-21-2016, 06:57 PM   #6
SuMeRbOaRd
Not Yet Wild

Post Re: Motor runs, cart won't move. Not a stripped hub bearing

Since this stuff was so torn up I was able to get the whole shaft out without needing to remove the circle clip because the bearings were chewed all up. The problem I have is that I cannot tell what I need to try to pull out now. I removed both the outside circle clip as well as the inside 2nd one I found. Now there's just a hole and some stuff where I think the bearing housings are still there.

Any suggestions how to remove the remaining parts?

http://postimg.org/image/jkgbez2sl/

http://postimg.org/image/b3gt41y3p/

http://postimg.org/image/6iump4eed/
Old 09-21-2016, 07:26 PM   #7
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Looks like the bearing outer race is still in the axle housing. No real way to "grab" it, like on G29's when they explode, you need to cut the outer race with a carbide demil bit to get it out. Not fun
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 07:50 PM   #8
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

To remove a bearing race in a blind pocket where there is no room to get the jaws of a puller behind it you can lay a bead of weld in the center of the race about half way around it. Be careful not to weld it into the tube. When its cooled off the race or outer bearing shell will slide out. Welding on the inside of the race or shell will make it shrink when cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHuiAzwdMkg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmnXDGlbmgI
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 08:03 PM   #9
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Its not really that big of a deal. I'm sure the seal is trash, so you will need a new one of those and a bearing.
Get the race out and put it all back together.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 09:38 PM   #10
cfherrman
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepard View Post
To remove a bearing race in a blind pocket where there is no room to get the jaws of a puller behind it you can lay a bead of weld in the center of the race about half way around it. Be careful not to weld it into the tube. When its cooled off the race or outer bearing shell will slide out. Welding on the inside of the race or shell will make it shrink when cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHuiAzwdMkg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmnXDGlbmgI
Plus a million, i weld a bolt in there as a handle as well, if its a small item just hold in water afterwards, if not 15 minutes

Reason this works is metal expands but cant expand outward because the steel the race is pressed into, when cooled metal shrinks in all directions
cfherrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha