lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-05-2021, 09:50 PM   #1
BiPolarBear
Not Yet Wild

Default Differences in Club Car DS Spindles for Lift

G’day from Australia,

I have a 1993 CLUB CAR DS Gas, which I have had for over 12 months, using it as a utility vehicle around my 30 acre, hilly farm. It caught me off guard how capable these are for this purpose and how reliable they are. The time has come where I need to get some new tires and a lift, as I have been bottoming the rear out occasionally.

From what I can see Jake’s kits are well made and truthfully they are the only option here in Aus, without having to pay $300 for shipping alone.
There is a sale on over her at the moment on specific spindle lifts from a Jake’s distributor but it a seems the correct kit for my model isn’t available.
I really would like more clarification on what the differences are between the years and models in regards to the spindles and the way the hubs mount ect

I am hoping that one of the other kits could fit or if I am be able to modify one of the other kits to suit the gas models?

On one hand I have read that the dust covers being plastic or metal is the tell and that there are only 2 styles but at the same time there is a seperate kit for the Gas DS versions from 84-96 when you look online.

Also I am unsure whether do go the 3” or 6” inch spindle lift. I have a lot of rough terrain so I don’t want it to be unstable. What do you guys think?

As for wheels what is the max size on the 3” and the 6” lift that will fit? What would be a good offset for added stability?

Thanks in advance for any assistance given. This is an awesome resource.
BiPolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-06-2021, 04:07 AM   #2
BiPolarBear
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Differences in Club Car DS Spindles for Lift

Also will bigger wheels have a dramatic effect on speed up hills? As I am already maxing the old girl out already at times.
Thanks
Old 06-06-2021, 06:53 AM   #3
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Going with bigger tires will effect the torque negatively, but will give you a higher top speed. There is a mathematical formula for this, but I don't know it. I believe site member Johhnieb(sp?) has spelled it out in some posts in the the past. If I can find it, I'll link to it.

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/show...6&postcount=11

I can not remember what the difference is exactly as to the differences in the spindles. Might be different type of bearings used, but not sure. Yes the metal caps or plastic caps are the tell as to what you have.

For use of a GC for utility on a farm, I would not recommend a spindle lift. I would go with an a-arm lift. As they are stronger.

As for what height lift to go with, in your situation I would go with the lowest possible to achieve your goal of not bottoming out. Since you have hills that the GC is already struggling on. Unless you plan on upgrading your drive train.

Hope this helps. I'm sure others will chime in with opinions soon...

Last edited by BBBHC; 06-06-2021 at 07:44 AM.. Reason: added link for torque loss formula
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 05:37 PM   #4
BiPolarBear
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the reply.
I’ve been thinking that most of the rear lift kits are essentially just raising the body to allow for bigger tires and that the gear box itself will still be fairly low. I have recently added a scrape plate to avoid hitting the gearbox directly which has helped.
So I’m assuming you only get the axel lift by bigger wheels?
Has anyone had success doing a DIY body lift to accommodate bigger tires?
Thanks
Old 06-06-2021, 11:44 PM   #5
BiPolarBear
Not Yet Wild

Also I think I have figured out why there is a different kit for the electric and gas versions of the same year.
The rear suspension is slightly different between the gas and electric models.
The electric has a thread on both ends of the shock and I the gas has a eye at one end.
Therefore the kits should be the same bar the new shock mount that comes with it.
It should be easy enough to modify if I decide to go down that route.
I just googled the diagrams on the golf cart parts direct website.

Why do you say that spindle lifts are t the best option, just because they arent as strong or are they unstable?

Ta
Old 06-08-2021, 05:35 AM   #6
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

For the rear lift, it relies on one and/or two things to lift.
One, you mount the leaf springs on top of the axle, instead of on the bottom of the axle. So depending on the amount of lift you are doing to the vehicle, this may be the only thing needed to lift the rear. Obviously this is not the case for vehicles that come stock with rear springs already mounted on top of the axle.
Two, a lift kit will come with lift blocks to mount between the axle and the leaf springs to achieve desired lift. (I have not seen any kits for GCs, but for trucks, in the higher quality kits, they will replace the springs with aftermarket springs that are longer and arched more. Instead of utilizing blocks.)

Yes, the only way to raise the axle higher from the ground, is to install taller tires. Not wheels. However, most lift kits I have seen for GCs require a minimum size wheel of 10 in.
Old 06-08-2021, 05:54 AM   #7
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiPolarBear View Post
Also I think I have figured out why there is a different kit for the electric and gas versions of the same year.
The rear suspension is slightly different between the gas and electric models.
The electric has a thread on both ends of the shock and I the gas has a eye at one end.
Therefore the kits should be the same bar the new shock mount that comes with it.
It should be easy enough to modify if I decide to go down that route.
I just googled the diagrams on the golf cart parts direct website.

The kit I bought came with appropriate shock mounts for both style shocks. So it didn't matter which style shock I had. Not sure if they all do this.

Why do you say that spindle lifts are t the best option, just because they arent as strong or are they unstable?

They are not as stable. The a-arm lifts are stronger, yes. They also have better/new suspension, as they replace the factory spring and sometimes shocks mounting points depending on the kit you buy. However, they also have the ability to adjust camber. I do not believe the spindle lifts have the adjustable camber built in.

Ta
Two other things to keep in mind. You might need to buy shock extenders, depending on the amount of lift you go with. Also you might need to modify the end of your swing arm (engine cradle). Been long enough since I looked into this that I can't quite remember if these things are necessary for a gas GC or not. As I swapped mine over to an electric system.
Old 06-08-2021, 03:59 PM   #8
BiPolarBear
Not Yet Wild

Thanks BBHC.
Yeah I will need shock extenders or a new bracket for the top of the axel for the U bolts.
For laughs yesterday I threw a 2” block of HDPE in the front and installed 21” tyres off my quad.
Seems to work okay other than the steering is a bit tighter.
The 20” rear quad tyres fit the rear without a lift but with someone standing on one side of the rear it rubs a bit.
I think I may attempt extended shackles at the rear just until I figure out what kit will suit me best. Unfortunately the gas models shackles have bends in them to clear the chassis so that complicates it a bit but I’m sure I’ll figure it out.
I’m thinking of getting stiffer springs in the rear which should stop potential rubbing also.
Thanks for your help mate.
Old 06-09-2021, 07:43 AM   #9
swm63
Gone Wild

Dave @ RevolutionGolfCars can get you the longer shackles with the bends. He got me a set for my daughter's DS. Dirt cheap too.
swm63 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
club car ds lift, different years, spindle lift
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts