lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-02-2021, 05:05 AM   #1
MaxOut
Not Yet Wild

Default Subaru EX400 Problems Starting

Looking for Subaru EX400 experts!! I have a very low hour 2018 Club Car Precedent Limo with a Subaru EX400 EFI having an intermittent problem. The engine will run perfect with no issues and then I will stop and it wont restart. It has never cut out while running and doesn't seem to matter if it's hot or cold. When it's in the no start mode it will turn over and depending on how I throttle it it will fire a little and spit and sputter a little. then with no consistency will start and run normal. It will run completely normal for a few days or a few hours and out of nowhere it wont start. I haven't been able to keep it broken long enough to fully trouble shoot it. I drained the fuel and refilled. I changed the plug with OEM. Checked all the connections to computer and sensors and everything looks perfect and clean. I finally got a chance to check it out a little while it was broke and pulled the plug. It was firing and had fuel. Seem like the timing it off or its over fueling. I have the shop manual and before I go further into diagnosis I was hoping someone has encountered this issue and could give some advice. Thanks in advance for your help.
MaxOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-03-2021, 04:04 AM   #2
MaxOut
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Subaru EX400 Problems Starting

“Bump”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-03-2021, 12:51 PM   #3
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Have you made any adjustments to the governor or the throttle linkage to make it faster?
If the throttle is being pulled open slightly while it is trying to start it can cause a similar issue to this.
Press the pedal slowly until it just clicks and make sure the lever on the throttle body does not move until After the pedal clicks.
If it moves before, then you need to readjust the throttle cable or governor.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 04:52 AM   #4
MaxOut
Not Yet Wild

I’ve got some time today I plan to check it out. It’s a limo that was stretched by a dealer. That being said the throttle cable was extended and I’m sure it was adjusted because it running 29mph on 23” tires. When it runs right It never backfires and has tons of power. I drained the fuel tank and flushed the filter/pump and refilled with fresh fuel yesterday. It ran great for about 5 runs then… it had trouble starting and would not accelerate. It would spit and sputter depending on how I feathered the throttle. I got it back to my shop and ran out of time to inspect it. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. It almost seems like a intermittent timing issue?

Old 06-08-2021, 06:00 AM   #5
MaxOut
Not Yet Wild

Still no luck… any help appreciated

Old 06-24-2021, 07:18 PM   #6
matt1382
Not Yet Wild

I am having a similar issue on a 2015 Precedent with the subaru EFI. I took it out for golf, and sometimes it would take off no problem and sometimes it would hang up. Pumping the go pedal always seemed to work. I thought I might have a worn set of starter brushes, but to pulled the starter apart and the brushes had plenty of life left. It does have a sip tie on the throttle spring, so I am going to remove that to see if theres a change.
matt1382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 06:25 PM   #7
Oscaromar2006
Not Yet Wild

MaxOut, did you ever resolve your issue?
Oscaromar2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 06:28 PM   #8
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Does the Check Engine light flash when it stops working? (the oil lamp is also a diagnostic light). This is the kind of failure that usually involves the EFI system, most of the time the fuel pump is dying (not building enough pressure) but if it's any part of the electronics, the sad part is they're all 'serialized' which means if one part is bad, you have to replace all of 'em. That can run upwards of 3,000 dollars.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 07:31 PM   #9
Oscaromar2006
Not Yet Wild

My oil lamp is not indicating any issues/error codes. I'm getting spark, and I also tested the coil with a multimeter, and it's within spec. I've also installed a new spark plug with the proper gap and a new fuel injector. I've done all the voltage and continuity tests per the service manual. This cart has been a nightmare. I'm hoping MaxOut found a solution.
Oscaromar2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 03:10 PM   #10
StreetRod
Not Yet Wild

Did anyone ever figure this out? I am having the same problem with my 2017 Street Rod golf cart that is built on a Club Car chassis.
StreetRod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
club car subaru, efi, ex400, subaru
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car