lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-12-2022, 06:28 AM   #1
Stevowevo
Not Yet Wild

Default What upgrades do I really need? Duromax 440

Thanks for looking. I’m trying to put a 97’ club car DS back into service for the wifey. She’s by no means a speed freak so I’m looking more for reliability and ease of maintenance. I’m trying not to go down a rabbit hole where one upgrade leads to another and then another and another if you know what I mean.
From what I’ve gathered reading here the factory carb is not really good for a golf cart application. I’m not really sure how to spec something better. And maybe I’ve already read too far into this but it seems like; new carb leads to new valve train which leads to new cam etc. Forgive me if I have that out of order.
So all that being said, where’s it end? If anyone can help me out with a starting point that would be awesome. Cart will have a 6” lift and 23” tires if that matters
Stevowevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-12-2022, 09:51 PM   #2
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Default Re: What upgrades do I really need? Duromax 440

Keep the revs below 5000 and a set of HD valve springs and push rods will suffice. A good source for a carb would be ARC racing's Genuine Honda unit part # DJ 3225 which has an adjustable idle mixture screw that can have the limiter cut off. If you really want to tune add an adjustable main jet from either ECcarbs or NRracing.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 02:59 AM   #3
Stevowevo
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Ray! That’s what I was looking for. I have some experience with small engines years ago in a landscape business. All that was just stock for stock replacement work so we didn’t have to worry about the effects (as much) the new parts would have on the rest of the engines or drive train. Man those guys could tear stuff up on the regular 😂
Stevowevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 07:47 AM   #4
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

One other note. IF you want an extra layer of protection add a billet connecting rod
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 07:06 PM   #5
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

I had a cart with that very same engine in it. It was stock. It was quiet, had lots of torque, and would go 30mph on the top end, although 25 mph was a more comfortable speed. It still had the stock carb the day I sold it. Ran flawlessly. The only complaint I had was the charging system wasn't that great, so if I was building another I'd install a small Kubota style one wire alternator, or use the factory starter/gen.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps