lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts
Gas golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-23-2021, 02:28 PM   #1
sgtsmee
Not Yet Wild

Default Ignition/Electrical compatibility help needed for old Shuttlecraft

I have a Shuttlecraft 2500sg and the key was lost. Hence I am installing a new ignition but getting the exact part I need has been more difficult than I thought and hoping someone here can help me with an electrical compatibility question. The existing ignition is a 4-Pin, and I bought a 5-pin from the auto parts store, wanting to make it work but some the codes are different on the new ignition and I am having trouble matching them up. To make it harder, I can only see a few of the codes/labels on the old 4-Pin ignition, but I also traced some of the wires up to a point so I sort of know what they are. The question is, will the 5-pin work?

First, here is a summary of the old ignition:
Pin 1 - Faintly labeled "M" - Black wire, went straight to a ground on the frame. From research I gather this is M for Magneto and is the kill/ground. (Note for later, the new ignition does not have an M label)
Pin 2 - Faintly labeled "A" - Red wire and orange wire. The red wire goes up to the front of the cart where lights, radio, etc are. The orange wire runs to the back of the Forward/Neutral/Reverse gear lever. This seems to be the standard "Accessory" terminal.
Pin 3 - Label is super faint and could be an "S" or a "B" - This has a thick red wire running right to the solenoid where the battery also directly connects.
Pin 4 - No visible label - Two blue wires connected. Blue 1 runs over to a small switch near the carb/solenoid, eventually running to the opposite terminal of the solenoid/carb from the red S or B wire. Blue 2 runs to a small black box on the other side of the engine compartment, not sure what it is or where it goes after that.
Summary: dealing with a "M, A, S/B, ?" ignition.

Now, the new 5-pin ignition has clear labels, they are S, B, R, A, I.
S - stands for Starting. My first thought would be to attach the Red wire that was on Pin 3 from the old ignition, but that wire is also the only connection from the ignition to the positive pole on the battery. So should I actually attach that red wire to B?
B - stands for Battery. See above.
R - stands for Relay. I did not have an R on the old ignition so I am not sure what I would put here. Would this be the ground?
A - Accessory just as above. This one I would match the wires on A for the old ignition. Should be good.
I - stands for ignition, not sure what I would put here either.
Also there is no M or G so i don't know where I would attach the black ground from the old ignition.

That should cover it. Ive looked all over the internet and can't quite get a solid answer on this, please help! I've attached some pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3905.jpg (20.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3906.jpg (16.1 KB, 0 views)
sgtsmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts