lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-09-2021, 09:46 PM   #1
leichardti
Not Yet Wild

Default Electric EZGO to Gas. 16hp Vanguard. Passenger side clutch rear end. 50%done

Converting my lifted electric EZGO to GAS
16HP Vanguard
Engine cradle from vegas carts
Newer style rear end with the passenger side clutch
780 low pro drive clutch from vegas carts
Stock driven clutch

I still have a long way to go. Feel free to chime in with any input. I will list my basic questions if anyone could be of help, it would be appreciated.

Distance from the center of the clutches is a range of 11 3/4" - 14"
1 3/16" wide belt+ 780 clutch + stock driven clutch + clutch center distance = Dayco HP3001
Using the belt calculator, I believe that is the correct length belt.

F/R Shifter: I have a perfect length push-pull cable, F/R level and ball joint. The Stock shifter level and mount for this rear end is a little pricey, I might just fab one up. (also to skip the worry of shipping and back orders these days).

There is a small output shaft/tab on the top of the rear end near the shifter and vent cap. I don't know what it's for but I believe it may be a locker for the rear end. Does anyone know? Also, how I would connect a knob or cable to it?

Any ideas on how to hook up a throttle cable from the stock electric pedal to the 16hp vanguard? A custom length cable, mounts, connectors and springs should get the job done.

Could anyone recommend an aftermarket fuel tank?

I have a few stock mufflers for the 16hp vanguard. I was planning to cut the headers and weld up a custom exhaust. Any recommendations for a silencer/muffler? I have a few from motorcycles and dirt bikes.

Thank you for your time.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20211209_100027.jpg (211.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20211209_100200.jpg (206.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20211209_100213.jpg (212.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20211209_100231.jpg (216.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20200109_164453.jpg (221.5 KB, 0 views)
leichardti is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-10-2021, 07:48 AM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: Electric EZGO to Gas. 16hp Vanguard. Passenger side clutch rear end. 50%done

Very cool project! I love the 16hp Vanguard engine, very nice smooth running and pretty quiet with the right exhaust. Nice off idle torque too.

Yeah you have a lot to do there, but it looks like you have a good start.

For the accelerator pedal, I would try and find a gas model pedal if you can, that will make it much easier to connect the cable to it. I'm sure you could rig it up, but I've never done it, never seen it done, can't help you with that one. Post some pics of your pedal and lets see if we can come up with something.

Mufflers....I've used a bunch. The one I liked the best was a muffler from Tractor Supply for a Thermoking generator. You can get it there, Rural King, Summit Racing, all over the place really. Walker #22022

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/w...hoCvFAQAvD_BwE

I liked this one because it is very quiet. Semi trucks have on board generators and they need to be quiet since they run all night long at the truck stops while drivers sleep. The real "Thermoking" brand is outrageously expensive but it likely even more quiet. The one I used was a Walker knockoff.

Another favorite was the stock Briggs Vanguard square muffler that mounts right to the engine. This one is very quiet and super easy, not tailpipe to run. I've done a few this way, turns out great. The only downside is they are only for stock performance levels, if you want more power you'll want a larger pipe. (see photo) I can't locate the part number at the moment, but they are out there. I have sourced ebay, small engine shops, and amazon for these before with good success.

On a couple engines I have tried stock atv mufflers, and they sound great, just like a stock atv. The thing with those is the input pipe is usually a 45 degree angle and I could just never get it right without cutting it all up and welding it, but they did work and sound fantastic. If you have several, I'd experiment with those. The one I liked the best was from a Yamaha Raptor 660, still have it lol.

Fuel tanks.....done a couple of those. I just ordered 3-5 gallon fuel cells from summit with a bottom sump pickup. I removed the foam, don't like that stuff. I actually have a 5 gallon aluminum fuel cell leftover from a project, new in box, if you're interested. I can get you the dimensions. I also have a thread about adding one to an old Yamaha.

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=153195
Attached Images
File Type: jpg walker 22022.jpg (40.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg briggs muffler.jpg (14.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg raptor muffler.jpg (37.5 KB, 0 views)
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 10:41 PM   #3
3doghouse
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Electric EZGO to Gas. 16hp Vanguard. Passenger side clutch rear end. 50%done

Quote:
Originally Posted by leichardti View Post
There is a small output shaft/tab on the top of the rear end near the shifter and vent cap. I don't know what it's for but I believe it may be a locker for the rear end. Does anyone know? Also, how I would connect a knob or cable to it?

Thank you for sharing your build Leichardti. Please keep the ideas and pictures coming.

If this is what you're talking about, it looks like it might be for the governor. If so, you probably just want to leave it unhooked.
3doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 08:36 AM   #4
kellett5261
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3doghouse View Post

Thank you for sharing your build Leichardti. Please keep the ideas and pictures coming.

If this is what you're talking about, it looks like it might be for the governor. If so, you probably just want to leave it unhooked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leichardti View Post
16HP Vanguard
Engine cradle from vegas carts
Newer style rear end with the passenger side clutch
780 low pro drive clutch from vegas carts
Stock driven clutch

I still have a long way to go. Feel free to chime in with any input. I will list my basic questions if anyone could be of help, it would be appreciated.

Distance from the center of the clutches is a range of 11 3/4" - 14"
1 3/16" wide belt+ 780 clutch + stock driven clutch + clutch center distance = Dayco HP3001
Using the belt calculator, I believe that is the correct length belt.

F/R Shifter: I have a perfect length push-pull cable, F/R level and ball joint. The Stock shifter level and mount for this rear end is a little pricey, I might just fab one up. (also to skip the worry of shipping and back orders these days).

Any ideas on how to hook up a throttle cable from the stock electric pedal to the 16hp vanguard? A custom length cable, mounts, connectors and springs should get the job done.

Could anyone recommend an aftermarket fuel tank?

I have a few stock mufflers for the 16hp vanguard. I was planning to cut the headers and weld up a custom exhaust. Any recommendations for a silencer/muffler? I have a few from motorcycles and dirt bikes.

Thank you for your time.

I agree this is for the governor within the transaxle. I left mine unhooked with zero issues, I probably have few hundred miles on it by now
kellett5261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!