lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-30-2021, 04:18 PM   #1
wesarch
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Predator 212 Clutch

I have a Yamaha G2 that I am looking to replace the original motor with a Predator 212 motor but can't find a clutch that will work on the 3/4 keyway shaft. Looking for recommendations from others. I would like to keep using the starter/generator so it will need to be a motor with the starter pulley. Thanks
wesarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-30-2021, 04:31 PM   #2
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Default Re: Predator 212 Clutch

You could use a 3/4 to 1" sleeve found all over E Bay and then use a comet 780 clutch. Vegascarts has a billet S/G pulley to go with the 780 BUT with the 212 you are giving up almost 100 cc compared to the stock engine.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 06:43 PM   #3
wesarch
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks Ray. That is very helpful. Sounds like the 212 is not the way to go. Do you recommend the 301 or the 420 for a neighborhood cruiser? (I notice the VegasCarts only has mounting plate for 420 unless it also works for 301 - it didn't say)

Also, do I just put the pulley and clutch back to back or do I need a spacer or anything?
wesarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 08:22 PM   #4
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

I would just spent the few xtra $'s for one of the 390-460 engines as speed parts for the 300 cc unit may not exist. With the 390-460 the clutch slides on after the S/G pulley with no need for a spacer. BUT I just did a quick tally with the engine and S/G mounts along with the 780 clutch and S/G pulley from VC and a cheap $320 15 HP clone off E Bay. That came up to $955. That doesn't take into account exhaust system or air cleaner mods if you need them. I don't know what your budget is that is is a pretty realistic figure for a G 2 conversion.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 08:20 PM   #5
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesarch View Post
Sounds like the 212 is not the way to go. Do you recommend the 301 or the 420 for a neighborhood cruiser?
Depends on what you want to do with the cart.

If you just drive on pavement and no large hills, the 212 will do just fine. You won't win any races, just basic driving with this engine, very simlar to a stock golf cart engine as far as power goes, maybe slightly less power.

A Predator 420, for example, will be quite a bit more power than a stock cart. With minimal modifications you can go 30 mph or more. You can climb hills fairly well with the torque these engines make, much better than stock engine torque.

If it were me, and I was on a budget, I'd go Predator 420 or equivalent.

Here's a thread about engine upgrade options.

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=172255
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 06:19 PM   #6
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I used a Torq-a-verter on a cart I put a 212 into a couple years back. Bolted right up. I did basic mods to the 212 (governor, exhaust, new "high performance spark plug") and that cart would launch nicely! No wheelies but from 0 to 18 was pretty quick and if you ran it WOT for two city blocks you'd reach 23 mph. I thought that was impressive for a 212 in a metal bodied cart! The 420 is certainly better though. But I got the 212 for $30 and the cart for free and very little $ to play with back then.

I found my build thread if you wanted to see the 212 in an 85 EZGO.
https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/show...all+blockin%27

I had a blast in this cart but the 212 really showed it's weakness when you add people. I had two grown men and three little kids on the cart and acceleration really took a hit.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 12:25 PM   #7
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsonj View Post
I used a Torq-a-verter on a cart I put a 212 into a couple years back. Bolted right up. I did basic mods to the 212 (governor, exhaust, new "high performance spark plug") and that cart would launch nicely! No wheelies but from 0 to 18 was pretty quick and if you ran it WOT for two city blocks you'd reach 23 mph. I thought that was impressive for a 212 in a metal bodied cart! The 420 is certainly better though. But I got the 212 for $30 and the cart for free and very little $ to play with back then.

I found my build thread if you wanted to see the 212 in an 85 EZGO.
https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/show...all+blockin%27

I had a blast in this cart but the 212 really showed it's weakness when you add people. I had two grown men and three little kids on the cart and acceleration really took a hit.
Agree. All vehicles are the same this way.

Heavy vehicle with small engine = slow and no pulling power
Light vehicle with big engine = fast with no traction
Medium vehicle with the right engine = best of both

Gotta have the right combo of weight, torque, hp, and traction to get the work done. For making slow laps in the neighborhood....different story. Any engine will do that.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clutch, predator, yamaha g2
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps