lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-28-2016, 12:47 PM   #1
hondarider203
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default 20 up Honda gx 620 swap

I just picks this motor I had lots of questions scattered all over this form so I'm just going to start a new build thread. So here is where I'm at I was told vc would have te exhaust I need and was recommend by folks here that I go with a comet 780 clutch. The problem is my shaft on the motor is 1 1/8 so I did a such and found that I can get the 94c for a 1 1/8 shaft. I'm looking now for input on this clutch.. will this clutch work? It also looks like I'll need to replace the driven clutch to accept the larger belt?
Reason for going this route is so I don't have to have my shaft milled down it would cost as much as a new driven clutch and I would have to pull a good running motor apart and I don't want to if I don't have to. So input on all that would be great
Next question this motor doesn't have an intake on it right now. Will the stock intake fit under the seat or is there a different option? Thanks for looking and thanks for any and all helpalready. everyone here has been a great help already and I appreciate it
hondarider203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-28-2016, 01:56 PM   #2
hondarider203
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 20 up Honda gx 620 swap

Oh rookie mistake I should also add it is going I a 1988 club car ds with a 6" lift
Old 03-30-2016, 09:53 AM   #3
hondarider203
Gone Wild

Club Car

Really nobody
Old 03-30-2016, 10:22 AM   #4
pleighdammet
Professional jerry rigger

Club Car

have the shaft turned to 1" and get the 780. you can use the chance while its apart to pull the governor out. not many people here run hondas. i have one for another cart but its been put on hold until my precedent is done. not sure on the 88 ds but newer CCs have a governor in the rear axle that needs to come out also.

people with 94c seem mixed on how they like them. dont hear many complaints about the 780 tho
pleighdammet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 01:48 PM   #5
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Not many Honda's at all. Hopefully someone will chime in. I agree with pleighdammet on the 780 clutch.

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 03:01 PM   #6
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Agree on the 780 vs 94c. Been there done that. 780 is way better for the golf cart. 94c is more of a sled clutch. It'll work, but not really well. Some guys have had success with them though. However, I don't know of anyone that has used both and prefers the 94c.

Also know from a friend with a Club Car that the aftermarket driven clutches don't really like the 94c. He's using a Kohler engine, but rpm is rpm etc. Not sure he likes his 94c. He also used it for the same reason, has the 1 1/8" crank. I think now he wishes he would have machined it down and used the 780.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 04:33 PM   #7
chevydmax6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
Agree on the 780 vs 94c. Been there done that. 780 is way better for the golf cart. 94c is more of a sled clutch. It'll work, but not really well. Some guys have had success with them though. However, I don't know of anyone that has used both and prefers the 94c.

Also know from a friend with a Club Car that the aftermarket driven clutches don't really like the 94c. He's using a Kohler engine, but rpm is rpm etc. Not sure he likes his 94c. He also used it for the same reason, has the 1 1/8" crank. I think now he wishes he would have machined it down and used the 780.
U got that right Andy but I do have it working better then I did before so we will see and u came up with a good idea to try and have the 780 bored out to fit a 1 1/8 crank
chevydmax6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 07:32 PM   #8
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevydmax6 View Post
U got that right Andy but I do have it working better then I did before so we will see and u came up with a good idea to try and have the 780 bored out to fit a 1 1/8 crank
If you want to try boring a 780, I can take mine off and we can look at it to see if there is enough meat on there to do it. I think the problem might be the keyway, but I'd have to look at it.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 08:46 PM   #9
pleighdammet
Professional jerry rigger

Club Car

I have one in my garage I can get a picture of. As someone that does machine work I'd rather turn the shaft than bore the clutch. That being said my motor and clutch came in a kit from cpp and has a half key for them. Both keyways are cut short and the key is half height.

Unless I get 500 requests I'd be glad to turn any shafts needed done. You pay shipping both ways and I'll do it.
pleighdammet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 09:06 PM   #10
chevydmax6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
If you want to try boring a 780, I can take mine off and we can look at it to see if there is enough meat on there to do it. I think the problem might be the keyway, but I'd have to look at it.
They put the keyway in there for the 1"
Only be taking out 1/16 out I don't think it would hurt it and u could cut the keyway down a little
chevydmax6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!