lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-09-2020, 02:13 PM   #11
Notsoezgo
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Needing high speed gears

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjastram View Post
In my search for gears, for my 2001.5 EZGO, I was told by 2 venders that I needed to disassemble it and measure the bearing size before I order. There were 2 different sizes used. I would think that with the serial number of the gear box you could tell what size is needed.
I also have a question about gear choice. I replaced the stock motor with a Vegas Carts 460. I am not sure if I should go for 8:1 or 6:1. I don't like running it at 5,000 rpm to maintain speed and would like to keep the motor at a lower rpm.
Sounds to me we are in similar circumstances wondering about gear ratios and replacement seals bearings
Notsoezgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-09-2020, 08:01 PM   #12
Low-Tec
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notsoezgo View Post
Ok I'm not sure if I did this correctly, with one wheel down the other up I rotated the tire 1 turn and got 4 1/2 turns on the driven clutch.
I sure do appreciate your insight and advice Slonomo.

Chris
You cannot leave one tire on the ground, both must be off the ground and turned equally. Or just roll the cart for one tire revolution and count the turns of the secondary.
Low-Tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 03:10 AM   #13
Notsoezgo
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low-Tec View Post
You cannot leave one tire on the ground, both must be off the ground and turned equally. Or just roll the cart for one tire revolution and count the turns of the secondary.
Ok thanks I'll give that a try.
Old 08-10-2020, 09:56 AM   #14
Notsoezgo
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low-Tec View Post
That seems to work better around 14:1
Old 08-10-2020, 02:54 PM   #15
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
That seems to work better around 14:1
14:1 is what I would expect a utility machine to have. Going to 8:1 will be a huge difference.

At 3500 rpm your cruising speed would be around 25-28 mph.

At 4000 rpm around 30-32 mph.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 04:45 PM   #16
Notsoezgo
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
14:1 is what I would expect a utility machine to have. Going to 8:1 will be a huge difference.

At 3500 rpm your cruising speed would be around 25-28 mph.

At 4000 rpm around 30-32 mph.
This is a campground cart so speeds will be generally be 10 to 20 mph, just want to keep the rpm's down. I'll look to buy the 8:1 gears from a site sponsor, where can I get seals and bearings gaskets?
Old 08-11-2020, 06:34 PM   #17
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
This is a campground cart so speeds will be generally be 10 to 20 mph, just want to keep the rpm's down. I'll look to buy the 8:1 gears from a site sponsor, where can I get seals and bearings gaskets?
You should be able to get everything you need from the same sponsor. Most of them are Nivel dealers so they have access to all the same stuff.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 02:48 PM   #18
kellett5261
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I actually pulled my ST Sport apart this past night, the case came apart fairly easy and the gear install is very simple, just make sure you have the proper pullers to remove the bearing for the larger gear and same with the smaller bearing.

I installed the 8:1 gears from Cart Parts Plus, came out to like $360 something with 3 day shipping.

i just stuck my axle tubes back together like 20 mins ago, see picture below for the finished product.

I did notice a strange sound coming from the driver side axles housing when you spin the axle, not entirely sure where is coming from. cant tell if its the driven clutch or coming from inside the case??

was thinking about pulling the drum and axle back off and try spinning it again and see if that does anything?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg axle.jpg (227.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg axlle.jpg (136.1 KB, 0 views)
kellett5261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 04:19 PM   #19
kellett5261
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I cant figure out how to upload a video so show you the sound its making. if i had to guess its coming from either the input shaft assembly or the intermediate shaft .

my thoughts are the intermediate because that's the shaft i changed out the gear.

thoughts? i really dont want to pull this a part but i also dont want to listen to this clanking while im at high speeds. nor do i want to break anything.
Old 08-12-2020, 06:11 PM   #20
kellett5261
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

figured it out the 2 of the weights on the input shaft came out somehow? .

sucks i had to rip it down but just free spinning it now no issues.

all fixed. DONT MAKE MY MISTAKE

Luckily i didnt install the axle yet.
Attached Images
File Type: png input shaft.PNG (30.1 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps