lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-15-2020, 01:48 PM   #121
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Default Re: VRX460 Magnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
Is that with the Ross forged piston ? That looked like the best way to go .
That's my plan.
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-15-2020, 04:52 PM   #122
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

That is going to be so Cool when you are done
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 08:41 PM   #123
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

When it's finished l'm putting it in Blue and run it. l hope it's worth the effort and money. lt's been a fun build - l want to thank Mike Black for giving me the incentive to do this. l was the one who said it wouldn't work -- whoo was l wrong.

This is Blue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN6710.JPG (232.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-15-2020, 10:07 PM   #124
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Mikey educated a few us on that one. BUT just taking the 420 hemi and beefing it up would be a WHOLE lot easier. I realize in your case going to the max is where you want to be.
Old 07-20-2020, 09:48 PM   #125
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Quote:
Mikey educated a few us on that one. BUT just taking the 420 hemi and beefing it up would be a WHOLE lot easier. I realize in your case going to the max is where you want to be.
There was a time back when no one knew what fit on the 420 Hemi. Now there are performance parts for the whole setup. NR racing now covers the head - valves - valve cover - roller rocker arms. The rest is standard 390 parts except the piston's 90mm bore.
Thank you Mikey Black - the results have been amazing so far.
Old 07-21-2020, 10:13 AM   #126
BIKERMIKEYBLACK
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Glad you got it going Shepard I’m hoping to get mine in my club car later this year the yammy vanguard sorta sidelined me lol
BIKERMIKEYBLACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 11:32 AM   #127
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

I received my long rod from Bullfrog and l was extremely disappointed. There was no info on torque and there is no Bullfrog logo on either side. I contacted them to see if it had been finish because of the lack of any logo and was told there not doing any engraving on any of there products so they can be more in line with pricing. What does a few lines of codes and a fine tooling bit cost in the overall picture of a $100,000 CNC machine?
It's beefy and looks good otherwise but if you were to sell it you couldn't prove where it came from. Now it's tear down time to install the Phantom rod and machine the pistons top into a dome instead of flat. I have been looking at the Dyno Cam's 275 grind in the billet tool steel version because it's adjustable -- 4 degrees advance 4 degrees retard and 2 degrees advance. It all depends if l can get my ignition system figured out and set as this cam has no compression release.

https://www.dynocams.com/item/275-gx.../cams-clone13/
Old 08-18-2020, 06:51 PM   #128
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Well today I torn down my hemi to install the longer connecting rod that came from Bullfrog Performance. When the side cover came off there was a mess inside, there was a ton of iron debris on the bottom. Checking the parts as I pulled them out I found my Vegas Carts cam was junk - less then 30 minutes run time. The lifters that came in the VC builders kit were destroyed and the intake lobe on the cam has the most damage.
I used assembly lube when building the engine - when I filled it with oil I rolled the engine up on the valve cover long enough to be sure everything was wet with oil. Now I have to get a new cam - I have a set of Genuine Honda lifters si I'm ready.
The piston can be domed and still have enough metal above the compression ring to be safe. I measured my head gasket - .050 -- I have to keep .030 clearance between the piston and head and .080 between the valves and piston. Lots more to do....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN6785.JPG (235.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6796.JPG (231.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6792.JPG (225.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-21-2020, 06:55 PM   #129
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

It looks like somewhere along the time VC sold those camshafts a quality problem arose. I bought one when they first offered them and that has been in my engine since 2016. Valve lash with it and the NR shaft roller rockers has not really changed since I built the engine signifying ( I hope ) that there has not been any cam/ lifter wear. Another idea here is that I use my magnetic dip stick cleaned daily to remove any iron contamination from the crankcase that might cause wear issues to the cam/lifter/rod bearing. I almost always find some of that fine silvery black particles that appear to be at the bottom of your crankcase. I have always feared that magnetic drain plus might add to the crankcase build up. I still have the original 2014 lifters with 360 + hours on them and am nearing 200 hours on the camshaft.
Old 08-21-2020, 07:10 PM   #130
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Quote:
It looks like somewhere along the time VC sold those camshafts a quality problem arose. I bought one when they first offered them and that has been in my engine since 2016. Valve lash with it and the NR shaft roller rockers has not really changed since I built the engine signifying ( I hope ) that there has not been any cam/ lifter wear. Another idea here is that I use my magnetic dip stick cleaned daily to remove any iron contamination from the crankcase that might cause wear issues to the cam/lifter/rod bearing. I almost always find some of that fine silvery black particles that appear to be at the bottom of your crankcase. I have always feared that magnetic drain plus might add to the crankcase build up. I still have the original 2014 lifters with 360 + hours on them and am nearing 200 hours on the camshaft.
I don't know if they harden the cam lobes but the intake is razor sharp on the sides of the lobe tip. Its hammered down - all I know is I'm shopping.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps