lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-31-2020, 11:56 PM   #1
Mfierce
Not Yet Wild

Default Installing "Street Legal" kit/lights HELP

So here's the story:

Bought a 97 Club Car ds (48V).
Car ran fine but I did a paint job and wanted to add newer lights and signals, horn, etc. in order to get a permit to drive around the city streets.
Ordered the 200$ amazon kit. Looked great and only slight alignment of the housing needed on the headlights. Wired it all up, everything worked fine. I installed a 48V to 12V, 20 amp step down regulator as the kit was to run on 12v. About 30 minutes of drive time after the initial install I went to have the cart inspected and the horn suddenly didn't work. Thankfully got a slide on that and got the permit.

Drove it for around 30 minutes and after that none of the lights work. No signals, no horn, nothing.

Returned it and got the replacement, wired it up, busted out the multi-meter and tested everything. the down verter was putting out 12.4 V.
Lights and everything worked for about a day and now I've got nothing. Checked all the wiring everywhere to make sure nothing was shorting out or touching and I'm stumped. Finally returned that second kit and ordered the Modz kit from buggies unlimited. Hooking it up tomorrow.

Has anyone experienced something similar? Any advice? This new kit also calls for 12V and I planned to hook up to the step down, but I also read I can hook it up to two of the 8V batteries? This was mentioned in the item listing.

I just want working turn signals and lights =)

Thanks in advance. I tried searching the forum but wasn't able to find a listing on this. If one exists please send me that way.
Mfierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-01-2020, 02:13 AM   #2
R&TBabich
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Installing "Street Legal" kit/lights HELP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfierce View Post
.... This new kit also calls for 12V and I planned to hook up to the step down, but I also read I can hook it up to two of the 8V batteries? ....
Our 2003 Pathway came with a 16v to 12v voltage reducer connected to 2 batteries which I replaced.
A 48V to 12v reducer is a better setup.
Tapping accessories off 2 batteries will drain them more than the others.
The charger will charge the whole pack, but if 2 of the batteries are drained more than the others the charging will be uneven.
R&TBabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 05:38 AM   #3
97ccds-custom
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Maybe a 20A step down converter isn’t enough? I have headlights, accent LEDs and a stereo running off a fuse box connected to a 30A 48V to 12V step down converter. I paid about $37 for it on Amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
97ccds-custom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 12:08 PM   #4
Mfierce
Not Yet Wild

Hmm. I’m not sure how much the overall harness pulls for the whole setup but it has a 15amp fuse inline. Both times the kit has stopped working the fuse was not blown. Which is what I don’t get. Like how is it going out but the fuse is fine?
Mfierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car