lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-04-2023, 02:54 PM   #11
cssnms
Getting Wild

Default Re: Trojan battery alternatives...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCo View Post
Bite the bullet and just go lithium now…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cost benefit analysis in-coming...

What does going Lithium get me?

What are the upfront costs for a 48v car?

Avg lifespane of a Lithium battery in a golf car application?
cssnms is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-04-2023, 03:22 PM   #12
jasonojordan
Gone Wild

Club Car

What does going Lithium get me?- Less voltage sag so better performance especially on hills and loose soil. No battery maintinance.

What are the upfront costs for a 48v car?- Depends on how large of battery you go with and your use for the cart. Could be as cheap as $1800 for a lower capacity battery and new charger can get as high as $3600 for a higher capacity battery, new charger, charge port and voltage reducer.

Avg lifespane of a Lithium battery in a golf car application?-10-15 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms View Post
Cost benefit analysis in-coming...

What does going Lithium get me?

What are the upfront costs for a 48v car?

Avg lifespane of a Lithium battery in a golf car application?

jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 03:36 PM   #13
cssnms
Getting Wild

Sounds like too much work and cost for my intended uses.

I have a bigger motor and controller upgrade so I'm good with the current performance.
Old 05-04-2023, 09:07 PM   #14
SouthCo
Gone Wild
Yamaha

In addition to what Jason noted, lithium benefits also include close to 300lbs weight savings, much quicker charge times and longer range. I also felt self discharge while sitting unused was a good bit slower with the lithium.

For my uses the upgrade was great and I wouldn’t own an electric cart that wasn’t lithium. But I understand it may not be of interest/benefit to some…

SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 09:09 PM   #15
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

It's not much work but it is more expensive in the short term. If you factor in battery life, it's really not more expensive. I too would never own a Lead Sled cart again.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 10:04 PM   #16
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCo View Post
In addition to what Jason noted, lithium benefits also include close to 300lbs weight savings, much quicker charge times and longer range. I also felt self discharge while sitting unused was a good bit slower with the lithium.

For my uses the upgrade was great and I wouldn’t own an electric cart that wasn’t lithium. But I understand it may not be of interest/benefit to some…

Lithium isn't for me as I don't care to spend that much money on an old golf cart. The warranty is not transferable , at least that what I was told. Lead acid batteries have worked for years, they just need a little care. I just replaced a set of 36 volt NAPA lead acid batteries today that lasted almost 8 years. When the cost comes down maybe but not now.

I installed six 6-volt US batteries two months ago in my 1995 Medalist cart. I spent less than a grand plus I already had an almost new Pro-Fit charger that I got in a cart I bought four years ago. I sold the cart for much more than I paid for but I kept this charger.
Just couldn't see spending what they wanted for the Lithium batteries and charger. No way for me to spend that kind of money on a golf cart that is almost 30 years old.
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 10:24 PM   #17
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

personally Id rather have an old cart running on lithium than a new cart running on old school flooded lead acid... This is why I bought a cheap old (30 years ironically) cart that needed batteries to start with. If you ever tried to use a 20year old nicad cordless drill and then went to a newer lithium drill it kind of gives you a bit of an idea of the difference between the two. the lithium is just stronger and it doesnt start off good and go noticably downhill both lifespan and powerwise from there..

Also you dont have to sell your battery with the cart if your the type to not hold on to anything long.. It can always be moved to the next cart if you hung up on things like warranties.
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 07:59 AM   #18
cssnms
Getting Wild

I drive maybe a couple of miles per week, on a good week. Relatively flat, well except the hill coming up from the boat dock. My lead acids have more than enough capacity for my purposes.

I took my car to an island in NC and used it for 2 weeks straight, never an issue with run time or with anything else for that matter that lead me to think I need a new battery system.

I guess the weight savings is nice but again, that doesn't really accrue me much benefit other than say being a little quicker off the line and maybe slightly more nimble but reality is this is a golf car at the end of the day, so im not road racing and im certainly not taking my lifted csr on 23" tires through a slalom course. After my controller and motor upgrade, again I'm never left thinking, gee, my car feels to heavy and sluggish.

While I'm sure all of the cumulative positives lithium provides under the right heavy use circumstances are noticeable and beneficial, but again, according to my cost benefit calculator I'd rather put the savings towards some other upgrades that I feel would be more beneficial for my uses. I'm not just going to do it just because it's only a few more $ than replacing my batteries or because it's all the rage right now.

I see guys going lithium in the offshore fishing boat world. That I get for all of the reasons mentioned and the benefits when it comes to converting to lithium in say 29' center console offshore boat. I have not made the leap yet due to physical and logistical issues that still exist including insufficient alternator output to adequately charge the batteries while underway etc. So right now my 3 Group 27's will have to continue to serve my purposes and other than having to replace batteries every +/- 4 yrs which is a PIA, the set up has served me well. Heck, I haven't even put in AGM's, just solid reliable Deka lead acids.
Old 05-05-2023, 08:21 AM   #19
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Everyone has different priorities which is why there are lots of alternatives when it comes to buying stuff.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 09:26 AM   #20
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
Everyone has different priorities which is why there are lots of alternatives when it comes to buying stuff.
I have converted 3 of my carts to Lithium, each with an onboard charger. The 2 things I enjoy the most is the power increase and the end of battery watering and corrosion removal
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha