lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-01-2023, 01:06 PM   #21
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Default Re: Cause of 'overcurrent' ?

It's a golf car. Not a F1 racer. It's not going to ride perfectly smooth at higher speeds it was never designed for. It's gonna be a lot like stuffing a HEMI into a Chevrolet Chevette.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-01-2023, 04:36 PM   #22
cssnms
Getting Wild

Yea I get that, but this is a violent shake of the steering column/wheel on relatively smooth asphalt. Seems like a tire out of round.
cssnms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 04:43 PM   #23
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

My experience with golf cart tires is that they suck. The ones on both of my carts are far from round - and they were that way from brand new.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 05:26 PM   #24
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms View Post
Yea I get that, but this is a violent shake of the steering column/wheel on relatively smooth asphalt. Seems like a tire out of round.
If your alignment is out enough it will cause this too.. Easy to check and adust
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 05:36 PM   #25
cssnms
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
My experience with golf cart tires is that they suck. The ones on both of my carts are far from round - and they were that way from brand new.
I've read a few threads on steering vibrations and it seems more often than not it turns out to be a bad tire.

I guess these tire manufacturers can get away with it or least they could get away with it before all of these higher speed/modified cars hit the streets.

Are there tire brands that are known to be better than others?

Can these wheels be balanced?
Old 05-01-2023, 06:36 PM   #26
cssnms
Getting Wild

I have these tires in this size.

https://diygolfcart.com/arisun-23x10...-4-ply-rating/

Noticed they are rated to max 30 psi. I checked my pressures today and they are all over the place with the rears being at 15 and the fronts being at 16 and 18. Seems like they are inflated to low.
Old 05-01-2023, 07:24 PM   #27
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

If the car is lifted, and you're on aggressive enough tires you won't get rid of that 'wheel hop'. Especially if the tires say 'not for highway use' on them. They get worse with speed. We are dealing with a customer who refuses to accept it with a lifted Olympus (Chinese Fairplay) golf car. He swears it's a bent axle as he 'started feeling it' after ramming a tree with it, although the hit was on the brush guard and had nothign to do with the rear end.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 06:50 PM   #28
cssnms
Getting Wild

Well as a follow up, I greatly reduced the vibration that caused my steering wheel/column to shake bad at higher speed.

I lifted the front loosened the wheel lugs and then cross tightened them with a torque wrench. I also increased tire pressure to 22 psi. The lugs seemed like they were on too tight which based on the amount of force required with my impact wrench.

More importantly and what I think was largely contributing to the excessive and movement in the steering assembly/column, I noticed that when I was working on the passenger front wheel, there was some excessive wobble/play in the wheel as it was lifted off the ground. Upon closer examination, I noticed there was a lot of play in the Rhox control arm assemble, particularly at the joint where the bolt runs vertical attaching the control arm to the steering linkage. The drivers side did not have this movement. I could see how if this wheel hit a bump and started wobbling how it could cause what I experienced.

So I took a wrench to the bolt and it was really loose. I tightened both sides down which greatly firmed up the steering feedback. Overtightening these bolts made the steering too stiff, so I backed off the tightness a tad to where I felt the steering felt best.

Moral of the story, if you experience excessive vibration, make sure to rule out the steering and suspension components, check all the nuts and bolts!

Hopefully this helps someone else.
Old 05-04-2023, 12:37 AM   #29
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

And always bear in mind this cart was engineered and built for golf with a maximum speed of 14 mph. Brakes too are designed for 18" tires at 14 mph.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 08:34 PM   #30
cssnms
Getting Wild

Bumping my old overcurrent thread back up. Seems this eas/is a lingering problem.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha