lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-30-2023, 05:37 PM   #11
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Cause of 'overcurrent' ?

I have D&D motors in both of my Yamaha carts with several thousand miles on them with not an issue! They are way better than the stock Hitachi motors and I have had a good experience working with D&D when I needed motors.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-30-2023, 09:01 PM   #12
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

All I've dealt with are ones that either have intermittents (shorts, mostly), don't work at all, or make very bad arcing noises and fail during test drives (mainly on the ones that replacing stock motors on the infamous Tomberlin E-merges). Their customer care line has been rather hostile and claims that the serial numbers don't exist and that the motors are counterfeit. How do you react to such nonsense?!

It's enough to put me off 'em. I don't care if they're a site sponsor, I tell it how it is, I don't fall victim to propaganda.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 09:16 PM   #13
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Not my experience at all. My first motor has been in my cart for 7 years. My other cart has a 3 year old D&D. I got them directly from them and I got great customer support. I treat them right and IMO the quality is fine.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 10:30 PM   #14
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

I just ordered one of these motors for a friend of mine. It was highly recommended by a person that deals with electric carts everyday.
I know many people here have had great luck with D&D. Now I read this negative report.
Maybe this might help some. I am not worried about D&D because I don't think my friend would have told me to buy D&D if he thought they were bad.
Here is an older post on this subject.

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=152813
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 10:50 AM   #15
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Keep in mind we never order them (we have our own supplier who rebuilds or upgrades motors) but we've definitely had a ton come in with dead or intermittent D&D motors and have not had the best relationships with their CSRs over the phone. Each time we have provided the data that's on the motor itself they claim it's 'counterfeit' and not in their system and act all angry. It's sort of ridiculous as who would in their right mind want to 'counterfeit' a damned motor?

The problem with site sponsors here is that there's tons of bias to positively promote them and ignore anyone who claims otherwise. I have no love of the Lester Summit II either for it being made in China and non-repairable (and a solution in search of a problem much like all so-called 'smart' chargers) but tell that to anyone here and it's grounds for banning or something...

In either case, I'm speaking from my own experience of over 15 years being a golf car mechanic. I still ain't seen it all yet. But I can with full honesty say the back of our building is chock full of dead D&D's as well as a mountain of Powerwise QE, Yamaha JW2, ERIC, Delta Q QuiQ, and Summit II e-waste.
Old 05-01-2023, 10:58 AM   #16
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell1 View Post
Keep in mind we never order them (we have our own supplier who rebuilds or upgrades motors) but we've definitely had a ton come in with dead or intermittent D&D motors and have not had the best relationships with their CSRs over the phone. Each time we have provided the data that's on the motor itself they claim it's 'counterfeit' and not in their system and act all angry. It's sort of ridiculous as who would in their right mind want to 'counterfeit' a damned motor?

The problem with site sponsors here is that there's tons of bias to positively promote them and ignore anyone who claims otherwise. I have no love of the Lester Summit II either for it being made in China and non-repairable (and a solution in search of a problem much like all so-called 'smart' chargers) but tell that to anyone here and it's grounds for banning or something...
That's crazy. I'm not surprised though. We used to be a dealer. The 506 and 502 sepex motors ended that. Huge failure numbers with those. Dealer service was confrontational at best. I ended up just gifting Admiral motors to all my D&D customers with these failed motors. Oddly enough not one of the replacement motors failed so we have stayed with Admiral over the years now.
I do have one D&D series motor that works good seeing daily use in an industrial cart.

As for Lester - it carries a 4 yr factory warranty. No other charger comes close to that warranty. Like Alltrax with it's 2 yr no question replacement warranty, I don't see anything better out there. And Admiral has the same 1 yr warranty as everybody else in the motor industry. Only they have real customer service and every failure is not the customers fault. They will replace a motor which I have never heard of D&D doing.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 11:24 AM   #17
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

As for Lester, It's part that I'm miffed they went non-repairable made in China as they were the last holdout left who stuck with Made in USA repairable, simple, reliable ferro-resonant chargers that always did their job, and another part being you didn't need a warranty as the old ones lasted well over 50 years and I got a few in my shop that still work. You never had issues with cars coming in en-masse because the timer on the front ensured they'd always charge batteries no matter how dead they were, while these crazy 'smart' chargers can't handle a pack that's below 20% SoC and always fault or interrupt for ridiculous reasons, causing many to come back angry when in truth it's the junk charger that came with the cart that caused the issue.

Every spring we have over 50+ cars come in from winter storage at customer's homes that are not charging because the stupid 'smart' charger refused to bother, which is ironic when I can boost them fine with my vintage chargers. but it's a waste of space, waste of time, and takes time from more involved work because they designed a charger that tries to be more than it should and cannot do the simple task of charging a set of batteries. They had the problem solved 50 plus years ago, and for some asinine reason they decided to fix what wasn't broken and ended up fixing it until they broke it.

We never had issues with the classic ferro-resonant design. It worked, it didn't need improving, and it costs a lot less to replace a $20 capacitor or $15 timer than replacing a $450+ 'smart' charger which is not only too complicated for its own good, but will fail in a few years time again, and again, and that encourages e-waste and not something I want any part in.

I also fail to grasp why on earth something as simple as a battery charger needs Bluetooth, but then they make toasters with Wifi...crazy clown world...

I refuse to allow a 'smart' charger (otherwise known as a high-frequency charger) in my shop because they fail to do the job they're designed to do far too often requiring constant baby-sitting (which is charging batteries). I got more things to do than watch a flashing LED for a few hours hoping it finishes without complaint. I'd rather plug in one from the '60s, set timer and ensure ammeter is pointing to 20 or so, and check it at the end of the day.
Old 05-01-2023, 11:43 AM   #18
CartsRFun
Gone Wild

Myself as well have had issues with Lester Summitt II chargers....

The Dual Pro Eagle Pro chargers are the USA made field repairable..

Here is the link....cannot reiterate this enough...

https://www.dualpro.com/golf-segment

Happy Cartin'
CartsRFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 12:50 PM   #19
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Yeah we use Eagles all the time. They're still 'smart' though and tend to fault out (not because the charger is bad though) and need babysitting. They also can't boost a car that's below 15VDC. So the vintage ones still come out. The only thing I hate about them is the bad habit they have of giving up due to 'float/bulk stage timeout' and wish they could just program them to work like ye olde ferro-resonant, as in go to a certain voltage and turn off like the old PowerWise did. I am also not fond of them not having an ammeter. The DPI's do at least. But all I want to see in a charger is a capacitor, rectifier, transformer, ammeter and mechanical timer. Flashing lights or LEDs trigger my anger.

In the end, a charger's job is to charge batteries. If it cannot do that, it's no good to us. They create chargers today that can't even do that job correctly. If the 'new' product is in any way worse than the one it replaces, it's not worth the upgrade to me.

I have similar views of Digital over the air TV. How is it an upgrade when the signal goes pixelated and out if you just look at it cross-eyed? Analog would work no matter what with some snow. Plus all those 'extra channels?' they're full of either informercial crap or alt-right propaganda. Shango066 on YouTube uses those 'extra' filler channels to demonstrate TV resurrections since YouTube can't content-ID them, and the commentary is priceless.
Old 05-01-2023, 12:58 PM   #20
cssnms
Getting Wild

Lester aside,,, getting back to my initial question,,, I dunno, I just took the car out for a 2+ mile ride and the problem did not replicate.

My steering colum shakes/vibrates like a mother at this new faster top speed though...
cssnms is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha