lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-29-2023, 04:42 PM   #1
cssnms
Getting Wild

Question Cause of 'overcurrent' ?

So as some of you know, I recently installed a new Admiral D2 motor, all new 2 gauge cables, I installed a 400 amp Alltrax last year and HD selanoid.

This week took the cart for a brief drive, to break in motor. I noticed at at near WOT, the cart seemed to lose power briefly then picked back up again.

Took the cart out again all seemed fine. 3rd time I drove the cart I noticed it seemed to repeat the loss of power behavior, so I hooked up the Alltrax took kit and drove it.

During one drive I noticed at about 76% throttle the cart seemed to lose power for a brief second. At WOT, it going along find then lost power for a brief second and I noticed on the toolkit an "overcurrent" flag/red light, which went away after the cart picked back up again.

I'm assuming it's cutting power in response to the overcurrent? Any ideas as to what could cause the overcurrent?
cssnms is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-29-2023, 04:48 PM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Cause of 'overcurrent' ?

What currents are you seeing in your log file when driving? It sounds like the Alltrax is hitting a protection for overcurrent. The log file will show battery and motor current while driving. Record a run where this happens. It's possible that you do not have the correct field map for this motor as I would not expect you to get overcurrent even at WOT. You can also set the max current in the Alltrax setup that should just limit the power without going into any protection mode.

Correct Field Map is very important.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 05:24 PM   #3
cssnms
Getting Wild

The field map is correct from Alltrax, scotty sent it to me.
Old 04-29-2023, 05:29 PM   #4
cssnms
Getting Wild

Let's see if I can upload a picture of the log - this one is not from the overcurrent event. 2nd pic is at 60's to 100% throttle. Column O is motor current, battery current is column M.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20230429_183320_Excel.jpg (76.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20230429_183511_Excel.jpg (86.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-29-2023, 06:02 PM   #5
cssnms
Getting Wild

Found this thread which turned out to be a bad Alltrax controller.

It's interesting this all started after the motor and field map install. Coincidence? Maybe...

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=144858
Old 04-29-2023, 07:55 PM   #6
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I would talk to Alltrax about it. They like to look at the logs. It would be great if you can get a log during one of the "overcurrent" events. Your logs look pretty normal to me.
I would also verify with Alltrax that you have the recommended field map - but you probably do.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 08:09 PM   #7
cssnms
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
I would talk to Alltrax about it. They like to look at the logs. It would be great if you can get a log during one of the "overcurrent" events. Your logs look pretty normal to me.
I would also verify with Alltrax that you have the recommended field map - but you probably do.
I had a log during the overcurrent event but for some reason I could not find it on my PC for attach it. I could see the location where it was saved but when I would go to the folder it was not there.
Old 04-30-2023, 07:31 AM   #8
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms View Post
Found this thread which turned out to be a bad Alltrax controller.

It's interesting this all started after the motor and field map install. Coincidence? Maybe...

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=144858
In my case I bought a used 72v alltrax that has overcurrent errors every other time I hit the pedal and it was a bad controller. I was able to get the errors with the motor disconnected though to determine this.
augiedoggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 03:41 PM   #9
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

If it's like Curtis (the error then would be Controller Overcurrent) it's always a bad controller. Sometimes bad motors can EOL a controller so be wary of that--we spent months on a TXT48 that kept blowing the controller after going about 50ft down the road, and while the motor passed all the tests, something was shorted inside it. Each time it would fault the controller with 'controller overcurrent' and it would be bad.

If your car has a motor with branding such as "D&D Motor" replace it--I've come across so many with that brand that are bad, or intermittent, causing a myriad of controller issues, and the company is pretty hostile with us--even telling us that the serial # of the motor is not on their list, or labeling it a 'fake counterfeit', which is kinda ridiculous as who'd take the effort to counterfeit a crappy motor anyway and why?
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 04:23 PM   #10
cssnms
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell1 View Post
If it's like Curtis (the error then would be Controller Overcurrent) it's always a bad controller. Sometimes bad motors can EOL a controller so be wary of that--we spent months on a TXT48 that kept blowing the controller after going about 50ft down the road, and while the motor passed all the tests, something was shorted inside it. Each time it would fault the controller with 'controller overcurrent' and it would be bad.

If your car has a motor with branding such as "D&D Motor" replace it--I've come across so many with that brand that are bad, or intermittent, causing a myriad of controller issues, and the company is pretty hostile with us--even telling us that the serial # of the motor is not on their list, or labeling it a 'fake counterfeit', which is kinda ridiculous as who'd take the effort to counterfeit a crappy motor anyway and why?
It's an Admiral D2 motor and brand new bought from a site sponsor. From what I've read they're known to be reliable. I did not recall seeing a "controller overcurrent" option on the Alltrax log list, only "overcurrent."

I drove it some more day before yesterday with the laptop on the seat recording my trip log seeing if it went into overcurrent again but it did not. It's been raining all weekend so I couldn't run it some more. Plan to take it out again when the weather clears.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha