lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-08-2023, 01:58 PM   #1
cssnms
Getting Wild

Default Performance enhancement - motor replacement?

I upgraded the controller and selanoid last year which was a nice improvement in speed for my G29, going from
16 mph to 21/22 mph. Torque is very linear.

My question is, would upgrading the motor add some additional speed and torque?

What motor is recommended as a step up from stock? I'm not looking for anything dramatic and would prefer to keep my stock battery cables. I think I got the most basic controller upgrade from the vendor on this site.

Cart is a 2014 G29 w/Alltrax 400 amp controller.
cssnms is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-08-2023, 02:14 PM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Performance enhancement - motor replacement?

What size tires? What gears? (regular - 12.5:1, high speed can be 9:1) Almost any motor will be better than the stock Hitachi motor. I have a D&D in both of my carts but one has high speed gears with a high torque motor and the other has 12.5:1 gears with a regular motor (Both are D&D) With the stock controller, you will probably not gain speed with a different motor though.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 09:18 PM   #3
cssnms
Getting Wild

I don't have a stock controller I have 400 amp Alltrax and upgraded selanoid.

I'm not sure what gears I have? My cart is lifted and I think on 22's.
Old 04-09-2023, 05:08 AM   #4
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms View Post
would prefer to keep my stock battery cables.
Why not? This should have been the first thing to do, including cables to controller and motor. Any other upgrades would see this as a bottleneck for amps available.

I would suggest upgrading cables and try different settings on your alltrax before changing the motor.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 07:23 AM   #5
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

As cartmaster mentioned above,

The idea of a higher amp controller is to make more current for the motor, The faster or higher torque motor uses that extra current do deliver these gains... The current cant effectively get from point A to point B without large losses and heating up the cables because of resistance, Unless you upgrade the cables to the correct cables rated to support the higher amount of current (amps) from the battery to the controller and from the controller to the motor.

Stock cables are sized for cost saving reasons to only support the 250-325A peak power those controllers output.
IMO you would feel more of an upgrade in lithium batteries without the voltage sag that lead acid has, vs a new motor. Your either going to get more speed with less power or more power (torque) with the same speed with a motor upgrade. Your 22" tires already cost you a decent percentage of the power your cart had stock since it changed the rear end gear ratio.. you gained a few mph from it but lost torque. The controller likely gave you that back but now your using the battery up faster.
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 07:25 AM   #6
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

The 9.5hp Riot motor from Plowmans, with your controller, will get you into the mid 30's...

Call Don. He will set you up with what you need...

https://plowmanscarts.com/parts_36_38_volt.html
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 08:18 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I want to go 35mph in a golf cart like I want to go 150 mph in my car.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 08:28 AM   #8
cssnms
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in VA View Post
The 9.5hp Riot motor from Plowmans, with your controller, will get you into the mid 30's...

Call Don. He will set you up with what you need...

https://plowmanscarts.com/parts_36_38_volt.html
Thank you for this information. I'd prefer to keep the speed under that for my lifted cart. Mid 20's or a smidge over would be the goal.

Appreciate the other helpful responses. When I bought thr Alltrax it wasn't suugeted that i needed to upgrade the cables at the time. I guess I can do that with the new motor.

The question is, will the Alltrax need to be reprogrammed for a different motor or will the existing settings work (programmed by Scottyb)?
Old 04-09-2023, 08:40 AM   #9
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Thank you for this information. I'd prefer to keep the speed under that for my lifted cart. Mid 20's or a smidge over would be the goal.

Appreciate the other helpful responses. When I bought thr Alltrax it wasn't suugeted that i needed to upgrade the cables at the time. I guess I can do that with the new motor.

The question is, will the Alltrax need to be reprogrammed for a different motor or will the existing settings work (programmed by Scottyb)?
it shouldnt need to be adjusted unless it was turned down for some reason. Honestly though, checking and adjusting the settings is extremely simple with a laptop and usb cable.. There are you tube videos that explain what setting do what. And you can even drive around in monitor mode to get a real idea of how much power your cart is actually requiring and using in real time.. You might want to do that now because you might be surprised.
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 08:47 AM   #10
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Quote:

Well, you don't have to go that fast. I've got that motor and a 300a Alltrax in a G22. Cruise at 25, 30 if I want it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51708820686_10ec7176d0_k.jpg (614.7 KB, 0 views)
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha