lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-21-2023, 02:11 AM   #1
Djkringe
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default 99 G16 Questions

Got a new to me G16 a few weeks ago and quickly learned it had a bunch of problems. I wasn't able to post here after joining for a while so I couldn't ask questions. Instead I scoured the forums trying to fix my cart which I finally did! Loud, unpleasant grinding from the rear end: I changed the axle bearings and seals, The differential gear oil, the motor, and the input shaft. The input shaft was the last noise maker! She's quiet and smooth now. I changed the steering wheel, put in a new dash, put in a new ignition, added a usb port and battery meter, put a new windshield and mirrors on. I am looking to recover the seats and add an extended roof eventually. I need to find a drivers side rear fender liner and bumper end cap but I am having zero luck. So on to my question: I have a bit of play in the steering wheel. A good bit. I read about adjusting the screw in the steering box but it seems like it's adjusted as much as it can be. What should I be looking for under there to fix this>? I feel like once I get this fixed then the rest is just cosmetic silliness. This is my first golf cart so bear with me. It is a 36v by the way. Were there fender liners on the front at one time? Love this forum. I've only been a lurker thus far but have found volumes of information that has completely guided me through my repairs and diagnosing the problems.
Djkringe is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-21-2023, 06:46 AM   #2
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 99 G16 Questions

The G16's were about the last of the "worm & roller" steering gears. Everything after that got rack & pinion. The worm gear for those is the end of the steering column shaft and the roller that tracks along that worm gear is the pitman arm that drops down to the tie rods. over the years things wear more in the center of the steering travel (where it gets the most use), so if you tighten it enough to take out that play just off center, it gets way too tight further side to side. Some of those parts are getting harder to find.
& I've had some long wait times in the last few years. I suggest you try calling Plowman's (site sponsor): https://www.plowmanscarts.com/. Pretty much anything Yamaha, they know about it.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 09:02 AM   #3
Djkringe
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks for your response. I'll get in there and poke around a bit more and see if I can figure anything out. I'm not exactly sure which parts I am asking about when I call the folks you suggested though. They'll probably be able to walk me through the parts associated with it all though I bet.
Old 03-21-2023, 11:07 AM   #4
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Main parts would be #14 Steering Shaft Assembly - OEM# JU5-F3840-00-00 & #2 Pitman Arm - OEM# J38-23816-00-00.
The Steering Shaft is probably down to remaining stock, but Plowman's should be the most likely to be able to come up with it. They can also help you through whatever smaller bearings and seal you might need.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230321_120013.jpg (140.4 KB, 0 views)
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 12:59 PM   #5
Djkringe
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Yes, the arm seems easy to locate. The shaft, not so much. And not so cheap..lol
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha