lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-10-2022, 01:52 PM   #1
Salt1972
Not Yet Wild

Default G2- Cranks but no start

I asked to fix the neighbors 1989 G2 to be nice. She's a nice girl and all the neighbors refer to her as the "mayor" of our neighborhood and she uses her cart in that mission. Thought it would be simple... Wrong.

Current status. Air filter assembly removed. Motor turns over, but blows fuel out the intake. Will not fire. That seems ominous to me. Here's a video.

https://youtube.com/shorts/BDYGFmPtwQM?feature=share

Here's a play by play of all troubleshooting to get to above status.
1. No response to throttle. Tracked down to starter brushes. Replaced. Works, but slow. Voltage at starter is 7V.

2. Owner replaced battery before I could test connections.

3. Remove solenoid. Test on bench. Ohm meter showed no resistance when energized. Still 7V under load.

4. Made new battery cables. Battery to solenoid. Solenoid to starter. Ground to starter. Still 7V at starter. I'm assuming solenoid is bad and needs replacement, but wouldn't jumping the solenoid bypass that issue temporarily? Though, I suppose it's also possible that the starter generator is bad. It was new Jan '21 and the brushes were worn out.

5. Repaired smaller 12v connections (positive & negative) to ignition switch. These were loose and pulled apart as I removed the solenoid.

6. Pulled spark plug, placed in lead, and held next to ground while cranking. There was a lot of spark. It didn't necessarily seem timed because it seemed to spark more than once per revolution, but???

7. New spark plug.

8. Replaced (2) 10A fuses just in front of driver rear wheel. I'm not sure what those are. 1 was blown.

9. Jump from battery positive to starter. It spins faster, but still no start. Even when depressing throttle while jumped.

10. I've tried jumping battery ground to engine case. No change.

11. WD-40 / Fuel directly into carb. No glory. No fire.

12. Check fuel pump. Removed carb fuel line and cranked. Fuel dribbles from line.

13. Removed carb, remove both jets, mixture screw, and needle. Cleaned all. Reassembled. No glory.

What's next? Thanks in advance for your help.
Salt1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-10-2022, 02:41 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: G2- Cranks but no start

First, check compression. And check the valves and lash adjustment. Should be .004 intake and exhaust.

Compression should be bare minimum 140psi, ideally up to 165ish psi.

If compression is good and valves are adjusted correctly, try unbolting the muffler. The baffles have a tendency to fall apart and clog it up.

What color is the spark?
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 06:51 PM   #3
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

The way it is spitting back out of the carb I wonder if the push rod is out on the exhaust valve. With the valve cover off to check the lash things might become more obvious OR as CP suggest something is amiss with the muffler
raydhd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 07:17 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
The way it is spitting back out of the carb I wonder if the push rod is out on the exhaust valve. With the valve cover off to check the lash things might become more obvious OR as CP suggest something is amiss with the muffler
I was thinking the same thing. Valves got real loose and push rod fell out… should be painfully obvious when checking lash and it is flopping around like crazy without a care in the world
Old 12-10-2022, 07:59 PM   #5
Salt1972
Not Yet Wild

@CP241 & @raydhd - thanks for the suggestion. I'm pretty handy with mechanics in general, but haven't checked valves on a G2. I'll search YouTube and see if I can find some guidance there. That pressure coming out of the intake is all wrong. The stuck exhaust valve makes sense. I hope it is as simple as a push rod. I'm in for a penny in for a pound at this point. I'd rather not have to replace an engine in a 1989 cart. Thanks for your help.
Old 12-10-2022, 08:00 PM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=152858

Maybe this will help. It was on a spare head I had laying around, but the process is basically the same with the engine in the cart.
Old 12-11-2022, 12:04 PM   #7
Salt1972
Not Yet Wild

OK- Thanks for your help guys. Here's the update video and explanation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAd3L0E6KiQ

1. Adjusted the valves. While they were slightly out, nothing that would cause no start. I did adjust to .004. BTW- that gasket! It's tough.

2. I do not have a compression gauge. Does anyone have one they recommend?

3. Still spitting fuel / air out of the carb intake. So, I removed the muffler. Maybe some improvement, but still no start.

Needed Parts list:
1. Solenoid. Anyone recommend a part / vendor?
2. Valve cover gasket
3. Muffler gasket (possibly a muffler?)
4. Needle / Seat. It's flooding. - Anyone recommend a part / vendor?

Maybe I should test compression before ordering the above?

Thanks for your continued help!
Old 12-11-2022, 12:25 PM   #8
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Plowman's Carts in the sponsor section is the first one to come to mind. Don Plowman is a Yamaha expert, if he can't help you no one can.

The old fashioned spark plug laying on the head test is not a great test. It used to work on the old lawn mower engines but you need an HEI Spark Tester from your local auto parts store. It goes in between the spark plug and the wire and has an adjustable gap, that will be more accurate and reliable. This will show color and strength and will allow to to see if the spark is timed, once per revolution for example.

For compression, yeah it's a good test, but the real test for a healthy engine is a leakdown test. You need a leakdown tester with gauge and an air compressor for that. This puts compressed air into the cylinder at tdc and measures how much pressure it looses, or if it will hold pressure. If it won't hold pressure then you have a loss of compression from a damaged part or loose valve etc. If it holds pressure then you're good, but you have to adjust the pressure up to around 100 or 115 psi for it to be a good test. Before you do the test, squirt a little engine oil in the cylinder and rotate the engine over a few times.

Does the engine spin over faster without the spark plug?

The flywheel could be out of time making spark at the wrong point in the rotation.

The cdi could be bad (ignition module), no way to test those that I'm aware of, maybe resistance that's it.

If you have good cylinder pressure (compression)
If you have good fuel to the carb
If you have good fuel into the cylinder
If you have good spark
If you have good air to the carb
The engine should run. If not, you likely have a mechanical problem or issue with the ignition system.

Bad valves and rings will show up in the leakdown test.
To eliminate fuel, take the intake hose off and spray fuel from a spray bottle.
Poor ignition components should show up on the spark tester.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 02:07 PM   #9
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

As bad as that is spitting back a simple compression test should show if there is a damaged intake valve. Many auto parts stores will lend you a compression tester. IF the compression test is good my next step would be to stop all the fuel flow and crank the engine with the spark plug out to purge the cylinder. Then replace the plug and see if the engine will run on starting fluid.
raydhd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 01:31 PM   #10
Salt1972
Not Yet Wild

Closing the loop here. This all started with a set of worn brushes. I purchased a new set on Amazon and installed them. I looked online for instructions on how to re-connect the starter. (https://www.pinterest.com/pin/734649757941664262/)

1. Red Jumper from A1 to F1
2. A2 to Starter Relay
3. F2 to Ground

Since I'd never seen or heard this golf cart start or run, I had no previous knowledge or familiarity. It turned the motor clockwise which seemed normal, but the voltage was pulled down to 5V and it did all of the weird symptoms described above. The starter was turning the motor BACKWARDS.

Here's my issue and I may start another thread. When we reversed the jumper and went A2 to F2, A1 to Relay, and F2 to ground, everything came alive. Normal voltage, normal start RPM, and the motor started. Great. It ran for 2 minutes and the brand new brushes are smoked. They're gone, dust, history. What would cause that?

The starter is a Reliance Power Parts model: 687.

1. Is the starter junk?
2. Were the brushes junk?
3. Is there something else wrong that could cause the starter/gen to eat brushes in less than 2 minutes?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha