lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart News and Events > Announcements
Announcements Important information concerning the forum and members.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-17-2023, 03:22 PM   #41
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Default Re: Alltrax Fuse eliminated

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedoggy View Post
I bought a used untested controller on ebay cheap from someone. but it obviously failed on some one and since it was unable to be repaired that person had to buy a new one rather than sending it back for repair or replacement as I would expect for a $900+ piece of electronics (and yes it is the 72v capable version).
Why is everyone so offended at me for sharing what I did? im not telling anyone they shouldnt buy an alltrax here. I wasnt even the one who brought up the curtis clones in this thread. I will however try to set the record straight when the typical bias and incorrect facts come along like they cant be programmed and they dont have the features which I found mine to have. when someone makes a claim I expect them to be able to back it up dont you?
Well im the only one in this discussion so far with any actual experience with these controllers everyone seems to have so much negative to say about them..
Just a lot of unvalidated assumptions and folks that are angry to hear actual evidence otherwise. dont take my word for it though do a google search of this forum on curtis clone... and look at the feedback and followups to inquiries from actual owners

all I started out saying was I believe that the fact that the fuses have to be purchased separately isnt going to be the straw that breaks the camels back.

In 10 years from now they likelihood I will still have this cart let alone the same motor or controller are not all that great but its possible.
Ok. First, I'm not offended by any remarks that you make. I've got no dog in this fight, and I have no financial interest in Alltrax.

Second, You stated you purchased an untested controller on eBay (which I can only assume it was an Alltrax to which you are referring to)

Third, You stated "it obviously failed on someone". I don't know if that someone was #1-you, or #2-customer, or #3-friend. But, it's not important who it failed on....unless it failed on the guy you bought it from...which leads me to wonder why you would buy it in the first place.

Fourth, You stated "It was unable to be repaired". You offered no reason for the "unable" part. Was it beyond the warranty period? Alltrax offers a 90 day warranty on "used"controllers. And I don't know, nor do I care, if this "used" controller has to be purchased from Alltrax, or anyone else. Alltrax offers a 2yr warranty on new. And of course, if it's determined to have failed because of misuse...bla, bla. bla, warranty is void. Mebby it was new and 2 years 1 day old?

So, you have cited an example of one Alltrax controller that has apparent issues of unknown origin and of uncertain background or usage.

For me, I don't care. Not one bit. I would never buy a used controller. But that's me.

The circumstances you cite for this ONE controller doesn't make sense TO ME for the reasons stated above.

However....I don't care what you put in what cart. I just stated my reasons that I would only buy a new controller, and only one from a company with a proven track record and proven support record.

Other than that, I'm all done here.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-17-2023, 03:53 PM   #42
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
Ok. First, I'm not offended by any remarks that you make. I've got no dog in this fight, and I have no financial interest in Alltrax.

Second, You stated you purchased an untested controller on eBay (which I can only assume it was an Alltrax to which you are referring to)

Third, You stated "it obviously failed on someone". I don't know if that someone was #1-you, or #2-customer, or #3-friend. But, it's not important who it failed on....unless it failed on the guy you bought it from...which leads me to wonder why you would buy it in the first place.

Fourth, You stated "It was unable to be repaired". You offered no reason for the "unable" part. Was it beyond the warranty period? Alltrax offers a 90 day warranty on "used"controllers. And I don't know, nor do I care, if this "used" controller has to be purchased from Alltrax, or anyone else. Alltrax offers a 2yr warranty on new. And of course, if it's determined to have failed because of misuse...bla, bla. bla, warranty is void. Mebby it was new and 2 years 1 day old?

So, you have cited an example of one Alltrax controller that has apparent issues of unknown origin and of uncertain background or usage.

For me, I don't care. Not one bit. I would never buy a used controller. But that's me.

The circumstances you cite for this ONE controller doesn't make sense TO ME for the reasons stated above.

However....I don't care what you put in what cart. I just stated my reasons that I would only buy a new controller, and only one from a company with a proven track record and proven support record.

Other than that, I'm all done here.
The alltrax controllers are now built to be intentionally disposable. They encase all the electronics in epoxy (If it was for reliability why do so many oems not do this? ) The alltrax is the only one I know of that can't be repaired and need to be disposed of.
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 04:06 PM   #43
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedoggy View Post
The alltrax controllers are now built to be intentionally disposable. They encase all the electronics in epoxy (If it was for reliability why do so many oems not do this? ) The alltrax is the only one I know of that can't be repaired and need to be disposed of.
I know I'm going to regret sharing this
Alltrax is also the only one that is waterproof and you can attribute that to the epoxy. Alltrax claims the epoxy eliminates damage from vibration.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 06:26 PM   #44
DaveTM
Gone Wild

My Alltrax that was in my cart that was over ten years old was encased in epoxy.....and?
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 10:03 PM   #45
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
My Alltrax that was in my cart that was over ten years old was encased in epoxy.....and?

I've seen a lot of 12 - 15 yr old Alltrax controllers in service. I think the poster with questions here has a little experience with aftermarket controllers from eBay which is the worst place to buy controllers. Try the manufacturer. Personally I have bought thousands of controls which I base my opinions and observations upon.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 08:21 AM   #46
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
I've seen a lot of 12 - 15 yr old Alltrax controllers in service. I think the poster with questions here has a little experience with aftermarket controllers from eBay which is the worst place to buy controllers. Try the manufacturer. Personally I have bought thousands of controls which I base my opinions and observations upon.
I bought the controller untested and not guaranteed to work.. for 200 bucks I knew the risk and took a gamble thinkingI would repair it if it didnt work. I did not know they were disposable and unrepairable though at the time.
The person I bought it from acquired a bunch of golf cart parts and was selling them off. I often buy things new on ebay (or guaranteed to work) and never had an issue. My feedback says I have well over 2000 purchases this way so I have no regrets.

Like I said earlier I still have a working alltrax. I may use on a future project. its an older spm225 and its not encapsulated in epoxy or sealed. Its also not waterproof. The new controller I bought is both serviceable and waterproof.

I dont believe theres a one size fits all "best" controller option here and I never tried to force anyone into making the same choices I did, as often people do. However, I do like to share what worked for me and I will disspell the what Ive found so far to be inaccurate information others have spread to maybe convince themselves they made the right choices.
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart News and Events > Announcements