lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-25-2022, 11:07 AM   #1
catbones
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Lightbulb 1981 Club Car Series

Hi All!

Summer is almost here and after reading around forums here and there, I got a 1981 Club Car for the fam. Issue is, the drive train in is, is pretty hacked up. Looks like a conversion from Electric to Gas. I'd like to take it back to Electric 48V if possible but I'd need little help to get there.

I'm guessing besides the little stuff like switches, wires, nuts and bolts, I'd need the electric motor, battries, controller, solenoids???

Any suggestions on a kit that has most of it within it, or what parts list should I be looking at. I'm guessing it would be worth it to go the more upgraded route for controller and motors, then try and resurect 1981 technology.

Any suggestions are welcome and thank you for reading my post. :)
catbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-25-2022, 11:44 AM   #2
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 1981 Club Car Series

Cool! Another '81! You need to know however, if you envision a motor upgrade, swapping in a Kawasaki or newer rear axle will be the easiest route. Also, if you need to lift it with an A arm kit, swapping in an '84 and up steering column and rack will make it much easier and will make it steer like a dream. We need pics of the "crime scene" to know what you need.
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 11:56 AM   #3
catbones
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundeebarnbuggy View Post
Cool! Another '81! You need to know however, if you envision a motor upgrade, swapping in a Kawasaki or newer rear axle will be the easiest route. Also, if you need to lift it with an A arm kit, swapping in an '84 and up steering column and rack will make it much easier and will make it steer like a dream. We need pics of the "crime scene" to know what you need.
First, I think I would start with just replacing the motor and all added goodies here, with all electric goodies. I'm thinking a 400-500amp motor would be fine for my speeds. The rear axle has a bar welded in that has a chain on it. Looking at some photos online, I'd need to open up the axle and replace that top bar or whatever you call it with the right number of teeth one, that would go, slide into the electric motor, if I'm correct.

In terms of need, I need everything in parts an electric running 1981 Club Car has with an upgraded controller and motor. I look at the 1981 club car electric diagram and the limiters, coils and solenoids all that, I don't think is needed if I get a controller with an updated motor, right??
Old 04-25-2022, 12:05 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

It sounds to me like your expectations of performance are pretty high. I assume you bought the cart this way; so really it boils down to what you paid for it and what you expect to spend overall.

From first impressions of reading your post, I think you may be better off selling it and spending a few bucks on something newer that will accept the upgrades you’re looking for. If you want to do any type of motor upgrade you’ll need to replace the rear axle with one that will accept the standard motors every other club car uses. If your current motor ever goes bad, again you’ll have to hope it’s rebuildable or replace the rear axle with a newer style. Those old motors are really hard to find and very little if any aftermarket support for them.

As Dundee said, you can swap the whole front suspension and steering gear with a newer style rack and front end. Again a few bucks, but if you ever want to lift it you won’t find any lift kits for that old style steering gear and generally those steering gears are cost prohibitive to rebuild or replace. I believe a “Z” lift may work on one of those but I never liked the idea of cutting the frame.

It would be a lot cheaper (but still not “cheap” to resurrect the 1981 tech and just make it run/drive than it would be to convert it to 48v and newer technology. Certainly not impossible but you’ll be into it for a few grand easily when it’s all said and done.

A few grand can buy a stock running/driving 48v DS that allows you much mu by more flexibility for upgrades and etc.

Just my .02 and one of the reasons I just sold my Caroche. Just lost interest in the project and foresaw lots of $ necessary to make it what I wanted it to be. I’ve also got a much newer lithium SS so the overall performance for a family toy wasn’t really the issue as much as it was putting lots of money into a 2nd cart that I’d never be able to get back out of it. Sold the caroche off pretty cheap (for my market area) but I think it went to a good home :)
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 12:08 PM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by catbones View Post
I'd need to open up the axle and replace that top bar or whatever you call it with the right number of teeth one, that would go, slide into the electric motor, if I'm correct.
Id replace the entire axle. That one is 40 years old and loooooooong discontinued. Finding a replacement input shaft is going to be quite the search…. Vintage cart parts is your best bet but that’s a long shot. And hoping nothing else is worn or damaged from the conversion internally
Old 04-25-2022, 12:15 PM   #6
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Hey it's poossible your cart has a newer axle already.
Old 04-25-2022, 12:29 PM   #7
catbones
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Id replace the entire axle. That one is 40 years old and loooooooong discontinued. Finding a replacement input shaft is going to be quite the search…. Vintage cart parts is your best bet but that’s a long shot. And hoping nothing else is worn or damaged from the conversion internally
I'd love new axles but looking at new axles, I'd be like $3k easy into both, plus motor, batteries, etc.. I'd be in it for around $8k, right??

Now regarding what you said previous, so getting one of the after market electirc motors with controller and salvaging an input shaft is a no go. That is if all rear axle interior parts are clean and not damaged. I mean I get the controller, motor that fits, batteries will be a couple thousands, but not new like 8k or so...

I guess I'm just wondering if an upgrade now a days to an 81 is removal of all the electric garbage like coils, solenoids, etc.. with a controller, or is the controller additionally to the old technology like coils, solenoid, etc..

Sorry if I'm beating my intitial idea to hell :) Appreciate the suggestions, I'm learning with all these answers as what options I've got.
Old 04-25-2022, 12:34 PM   #8
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

I paid 300 bucks for my rear end 5 years ago plus shipping in 3 boxes was another 60$ They made thousands upon thousands of these carts. Good used is not that hard to find.
Old 04-25-2022, 12:44 PM   #9
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

They make kits to convert the old carts to newer solid state. Scottyb or David at revolution golf carts would be able to set you up. However if your cart has the switches above the accelerator pedal on the funky cam setup like my caroche did, I’m not sure if/how those would work either.

You can find entire front end suspension setups on eBay for a few hundred bucks. An aftermarket steering rack is about 50 bucks. Rag joint is about 30 bucks. You can get used rear axles for a few hundred bucks if you look enough. Generally a bit more, maybe 500 bucks or so but they’re out there. I’d budget a grand for front and rear axles. Another grand for conversion kit. Another $600ish for a motor. Few hundred bucks for cables and stuff, and then add a batteries and a charger. While not $8k I’d be surprised if it runs you less than $4500 or so to convert it, and get you a cart that runs and drives. From there add lift, wheels, seats, whatever else.

Again, just my .02 but you can get a late 90’s/early 00’s 48v DS for a few grand. Then spend the rest just customizing to your liking. I traded for my cart, but the guy I traded paid $3200 and it is a 2008 DS came with a back seat and newer 48v batteries. I’ve done quite a bit to it since then, but it ran and drove and was able to be enjoyed ever since I got it.

On the cheap option you could get a newer axle with a series motor for your cart. Repair/rewire it and make everything that’s 1981 work like it did in 1981 (just use a newer axle and motor). But you’d still probably be into it another couple grand or more depending on what is left on the cart from the original drive system (if anything).

Pics would help determine what you’re actually working with
Old 04-25-2022, 03:26 PM   #10
catbones
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
They make kits to convert the old carts to newer solid state. Scottyb or David at revolution golf carts would be able to set you up. However if your cart has the switches above the accelerator pedal on the funky cam setup like my caroche did, I’m not sure if/how those would work either.

You can find entire front end suspension setups on eBay for a few hundred bucks. An aftermarket steering rack is about 50 bucks. Rag joint is about 30 bucks. You can get used rear axles for a few hundred bucks if you look enough. Generally a bit more, maybe 500 bucks or so but they’re out there. I’d budget a grand for front and rear axles. Another grand for conversion kit. Another $600ish for a motor. Few hundred bucks for cables and stuff, and then add a batteries and a charger. While not $8k I’d be surprised if it runs you less than $4500 or so to convert it, and get you a cart that runs and drives. From there add lift, wheels, seats, whatever else.

Again, just my .02 but you can get a late 90’s/early 00’s 48v DS for a few grand. Then spend the rest just customizing to your liking. I traded for my cart, but the guy I traded paid $3200 and it is a 2008 DS came with a back seat and newer 48v batteries. I’ve done quite a bit to it since then, but it ran and drove and was able to be enjoyed ever since I got it.

On the cheap option you could get a newer axle with a series motor for your cart. Repair/rewire it and make everything that’s 1981 work like it did in 1981 (just use a newer axle and motor). But you’d still probably be into it another couple grand or more depending on what is left on the cart from the original drive system (if anything).

Pics would help determine what you’re actually working with
Got it, alright... something to look into it. My rear axle looks similar to this, but I'll take photos of it tonight or tomorrow, if I can for you guys.

Tags
1981 club, club car, golf cart, series
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car