lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-06-2020, 08:36 PM   #1
chrishammond81
Not Yet Wild

Default 97 g16 blows fuses when i hit accelerator

Replaced the batteries and solenoid. This is the fourth ysmaha g16 i have had and all came with bad solenoids. Of course i kept the last one that seems to be the problem child out of the bunch. Turn key on pop the fuse. So i replaced the start stop switch under the brake. Now the fuse stays goid while key is on and the brake functions without blowing the fuse. But now as soon as the accelerator is pressed it blows the fuse. I am lost as to where to go. I have been all over the cart looking for broken wires and loose connections. Nothing yet. Any suggestions would be great. Fyi i also tested the potentiometer. And it does raise and lower the ohms if that helps. Thank you.
chrishammond81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-07-2020, 02:47 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: 97 g16 blows fuses when i hit accelerator

I "dislike" the G16e worst of all yamaha electrics.. I cant find much good on it. Stock controller was garbage, f&r was garbage.. the last & worst "series" yamaha built. Sorry, you got "that one". How else can I say it, "money pit". I've almost stopped even responding on "stock G16e" threads. it needs a total "re-do" to be reliable & decent.

At least its axle was good.

Sorry, you got a pig.

Dont buy a new yamaha f&r for it (that particular model) , do upgrades. Gonna need a controller upgrade too (probably $600 cheaper than stock controller)..

Given its age, around 25 years, I'm still surprised it still pops up as much as it does (short production run). Basically, today, all G14/G16 electric should just forget it had a "stock setup" & move on. Stock F&R was a joke (cause of so much trouble 20+ years later), and the stock controller (might, or might not work decades later, was a POS then). The stock controller is #1 on my list of "that's probably why it doesnt work".even in 'golf' form.

If someone handed me a free G16e that didnt run, I'd waste no time on its crappy controller, and be looking for a "good old alltrax" (like nice & old & dull like an 'ol AXE) to test it with. (I suppose the 'ole weld the solenoid on B-/M- test will do).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 06:57 AM   #3
chrishammond81
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the reply. But before i go buying parts just to upgrade i would prefer to fix whats actually wrong. Dont get me wrong a new controller and f/r switch would be great. But if that doesnt fix the cart then i have a non running cart with more cool stuff worth nothing.
Old 09-08-2020, 08:38 AM   #4
chrishammond81
Not Yet Wild

Tested the 2 diodes and both have continuity both directions. I am assuming by this test and both are bad. The cart had a bad solenoid and i am thinking maybe something happened to these diodes at that time of solenoid failure. Ordered two new diodes. My question is. Would bad diodes blow a fuse everytime i hit the accelerator? Seems like i am on the right track. I guess wait and find out in a few days when the parts come in.
Old 09-08-2020, 08:45 AM   #5
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Yes bad diodes does cause the fuse to blow as it allows power to flow both directions so it sounds like you are on the right track...
camaroluvz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 09:54 AM   #6
chrishammond81
Not Yet Wild

I will update my findings for others. Hopefully this takes care of my problem.
Old 09-17-2020, 08:00 PM   #7
chrishammond81
Not Yet Wild

Update! Diodes solved the problwm. Cart works great. Thanks for the replies.

Tags
36v, controller, solenoid
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha