lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-31-2020, 10:56 AM   #1
Alloyvert
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default 2012 YDRE sudden battery issue

We went for a short spin last night and about 2 miles in I noticed a sudden drop off in power. We used the cart during the day for some yard work and at the time of the issue the charge indicator still showed ~50% charged. I just assumed it needed to be topped off, so I charged it over night and although the charger has the green "charged" LED lit, the charge meter still shows the same 50% level.

I checked the batteries and all 6 are reading ~8.5v (52.5v across the pack). They are 8 years old, so I am wondering if this is how they fail??? Anything else to check and or to confirm if the batteries are finally done?

I recently upgraded to Plowman's Riot kit and still in the break in period with <20 miles clocked.
Alloyvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-31-2020, 11:18 AM   #2
Croqezgo
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: 2012 YDRE sudden battery issue

Probably need a new set. You can load test each one individually to see which one(s) are failing. However, you won't want to mix new batteries into an 8 year old set. Take a trip to the battery shop. The riot kit is excellent so I'd go ahead and get good batteries too. I wish I had lithium myself, but $$$$...
Croqezgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 11:25 AM   #3
Alloyvert
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks as that is what I suspected. I knew they were on borrowed time and was hoping to make until spring as I was already considering a lithium upgrade. Well, guess I have a decision to make
Old 09-05-2020, 11:26 AM   #4
Alloyvert
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Update... before pulling the trigger on a new set of batteries, I did a bit more investigating. For starters, I totally forgot about buying a battery load tester a couple years ago, so I did a load test of each. One stood out with a bit more drop under load (down to ~7v). So I rechecked the water and I must have missed one of the cells being a little low. I topped it off and did an overnight recharge... and what do you know as the meter showed a full charge and a quick test drive confirmed the lost power was back.

Given their age, I know the batteries are on borrowed time. When that time comes, I am going to hit the easy button for maintenance and just make the lithium plunge.
Old 09-06-2020, 01:05 PM   #5
Croqezgo
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Nice! Remember to check that water often... my old cart went through a ton of water.
Croqezgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 06:32 PM   #6
Alloyvert
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

RIP... the rebound was short lived. We used it extensively with the grandkids two weekends ago and it would not charge past 50% after that last discharging. So now I just need to decide on the replacement plan. Despite the cost, I am leaning towards lithium given the simplicity. With winter around the corner, I may just wait until spring.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha