lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-17-2019, 06:57 PM   #11
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Upgraded EZGO TXT very slow uphill

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerjohnky View Post
1. The tires are stamped with a max pressure of 36psi.
2. As for the field maps, I’m not even sure what that is. Sorry. I’ve never changed anything on the controller.
3. The controller and wires will get warm, but not what id call hot.
1. Good. Kiicking the air pressure up to 20 to 25 PSI might up the top speed a little and might be a bit better on inclines, but it is the tire height that is the killer.

2. Sepex motors (such as the one in your cart) have separately excited field and armature windings, so their relative electromagnetic strengths can be altered during operation. When more amps are passed through the field windings, the motor produces more torque and when less amps are passed through the field windings, the motor produces more speed. The process of altering a sepex motors Speed/Torque characteristics on the fly is known as field mapping and there is a file loaded into the controller (called a field map) that tells the controller to increase or decrease field amps as needed for the load conditions. The latest family of Alltrax sepex controllers (XCT) also incorporates motor RPM into the equation and performs better on inclines.

In either case (DCX or XCT) the filed map loaded into the controller has to match the motor that is attached to the controller. If the wrong field map is used, the performance can be dismal and the motor can overheat.

3. Energy used to heat the cables and stuff is energy that is not being converted to torque by the motor. The cooler the cable are the more energy gets to the motor. With a DCX500, you ought to have 2Ga high current cables. There are ten on them and they should all be the same gauge. The two smaller cables to the F1 and F2 studs on the motor only carry about 1/10th the amperage as the ten high current cables and the original cables are okay, unless damaged.

-----------
The 22" tire height may up the top speed, but they slow you down more on inclines due to effectively changing the final drive ratio from 16.59:1 to 13.37:1. That means when the motor is putting out 10ft/lb of torque you get 165.87lb of linear force where rubber meets road with 18" tall tires, but only 135.71lb with 22" tall tires.

To get 165.87lb of force at the tread of a 22" tall tire, the motor will have to put out 12.22ft/lb of torque instead of the 10.00ft/lb needed with stock height (18") tires.
----------------

What is the AH rating of the Car Quest batteries? (stock is 225AH at the 20hr rate)

-----------

What is your cart's top speed?
What does it slow to on inclines?

How steep is the incline? (chart attached)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Grade conversion chart.jpg (167.3 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-18-2019, 10:17 AM   #12
DFW Rusty
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

That's a lot of beef under the seat for having stock cables and old batteries. I would say if you upgrade your cables, and new batteries you will see a considerable difference.

Upgrade to 48V and your golf cart will truly come to life.

Not an exact comparison, but close.
When I bought my golf cart it had 4 year old batteries that were poorly maintained and it could hardly make it up the hill on the paved road in front of my house (crawling speed, 2mph at most). I put new batteries in it and it would go up the hill at around 7mph. New batteries alone increased the speed up the hill 3x the speed. May not be the fix for you, but it was for me.
DFW Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 01:31 PM   #13
farmerjohnky
Not Yet Wild

Thank you both for the very detailed reply. I will try to take it on a spin tonight and test the top speed along with how much it slows down on inclines.
farmerjohnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 01:32 PM   #14
farmerjohnky
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW Rusty View Post
That's a lot of beef under the seat for having stock cables and old batteries. I would say if you upgrade your cables, and new batteries you will see a considerable difference.

Upgrade to 48V and your golf cart will truly come to life.

Not an exact comparison, but close.
When I bought my golf cart it had 4 year old batteries that were poorly maintained and it could hardly make it up the hill on the paved road in front of my house (crawling speed, 2mph at most). I put new batteries in it and it would go up the hill at around 7mph. New batteries alone increased the speed up the hill 3x the speed. May not be the fix for you, but it was for me.
I would definitely like to upgrade the batteries in the future. Probably will upgrade to 48V too :D.

When you say “upgrade your cables”, are you referring to the battery cables or?
farmerjohnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 02:03 PM   #15
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerjohnky View Post
I would definitely like to upgrade the batteries in the future. Probably will upgrade to 48V too :D.

When you say “upgrade your cables”, are you referring to the battery cables or?
The five high current cable that connect the six 6V batteries in series to produce a 36V battery pack, plus five more the connect battery pack to the solenoid, controller and motor, for a total of 10 heavy gauge cables.

They all should be at least 4Ga and with a 500A controller 2Ga is recommended.

Since you are considering going to 48V and will most likely use a six 8V batteries to get 48V, get a cable set made for a 6x8V pack now so you don't have to replace the battery interconnecting cable when you upgrade to 48V.

The terminals on a 6V battery are on opposite sides (attachment-1) while the terminals on an 8V are both on same side (attachment-2), so longer cables are needed. The longer 48V cable set will work on 36V pack, but a 36V set won't work on a 48V pack, so get the longer cables now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 36V - 6x6V Battery pack.jpg (42.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 48V - 6x8V Battery pack.jpg (49.9 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cart, ezgo, slow, txt
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO