lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-17-2019, 06:53 PM   #1
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 2009 RXV motor brake question

This cart was locked up. My knowledge of these carts are very low. I've read up, and I believe it is the motor brake. It is the old lever type. I have removed it, and it does smell a little, but not real bad. I just want to make sure before I go throwing parts at it. I ohm the coil and I get 25 ohms which I think is correct. Calling Bob, or cgtech for assistance. Anything else I can do to confirm the brake as the problem?

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-17-2019, 09:39 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: 2009 RXV motor brake question

Well, you didn't give much info to help here, except that it has a super old brake. Does it get to the brake check "click-clack" and get past that point without a lunge forward? Or does it never even get to that point? Many people who are newer to Rxv don't even notice that test even happened, or just think "I heard 2 solenoid clicks". The "second click" could just be a brake failure that the people who aren't ready for Rxvs business don't catch. Considering it's a old "lever brake", and no diag tools to say otherwise, I bet it's a brake. Many brakes with good ohm readings have still failed the twist-test.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 09:45 PM   #3
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Well, you didn't give much info to help here, except that it has a super old brake. Does it get to the brake check "click-clack" and get past that point without a lunge forward? Or does it never even get to that point? Many people who are newer to Rxv don't even notice that test even happened, or just think "I heard 2 solenoid clicks". The "second click" could just be a brake failure that the people who aren't ready for Rxvs business don't catch. Considering it's a old "lever brake", and no diag tools to say otherwise, I bet it's a brake. Many brakes with good ohm readings have still failed the twist-test.
It would click one time I think when the key was turned to forward. It would act like it wanted to, but not really a lunge. What is the twist test? I haven't read admit that yet.

Old 02-17-2019, 09:51 PM   #4
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I could push the lever down on the brake to release it and it will run enough to get it in my shop. Kinda hard to to do for any length of time. Is there a voltage reading on the plus to make sure the voltage ours getting to the brake coil.

Old 02-18-2019, 08:47 AM   #5
Isaac-1
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I am no expert, though I have changed the brake on my 2010 RXV twice now, and this certainly sounds like motor brake failure to me. If you do replace it, use the original OEM brake not the new "HD" brake as those don't play well with the Danaher controller in the earlier RXV's due to differing resistance.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:50 AM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgray70 View Post
Is there a voltage reading on the plus to make sure the voltage ours getting to the brake coil.
Not exactly, the danaher controller drives the brake circuit to whatever voltage draws 1/2 amp. To find the voltage, ohms law is your friend. According to the coil resistance you provided, the voltage to drive the circuit to .5 amps would be 12.5v. This can only be tested dynamically (with the brake plugged in), because the circuit uses PWM, and the voltage reading would be wacky with no load.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 10:53 AM   #7
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Not exactly, the danaher controller drives the brake circuit to whatever voltage draws 1/2 amp. To find the voltage, ohms law is your friend. According to the coil resistance you provided, the voltage to drive the circuit to .5 amps would be 12.5v. This can only be tested dynamically (with the brake plugged in), because the circuit uses PWM, and the voltage reading would be wacky with no load.
Thanks cgtech! I'm going out in limb and order a new OEM replacement. With it being the older problematic version, I feel pretty sure that's the problem. I hope!

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO