lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-18-2009, 01:56 PM   #1
tsbrewers
Not Yet Wild

Default ezgo wants to go by itself?

hey, I am working on an older mid 70's ezgo electric cart. It wants to go by itself, if I put the lever in forward or reverse, it wants to take off without giving it any gas. I can also turn the key off and pull it out, and the cart will still try to go.

This was my dad's old cart and he said it has done this quite a few times before, but he doesn't remember what they did to fix it? Any ideas?

Brew
tsbrewers is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-18-2009, 01:59 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: ezgo wants to go by itself?

Two things one the accelerator is not coming all the way back to zero. Two, the cart is not wired correctly the key should disconnect the power at the solenoid. If you are inclined to fix it yourself you will find a wiring diagram at the top of this section.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:07 PM   #3
dirtysouth
Gone Wild

Club Car

Smile Re: ezgo wants to go by itself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsbrewers View Post
hey, I am working on an older mid 70's ezgo electric cart. It wants to go by itself, if I put the lever in forward or reverse, it wants to take off without giving it any gas. I can also turn the key off and pull it out, and the cart will still try to go.

This was my dad's old cart and he said it has done this quite a few times before, but he doesn't remember what they did to fix it? Any ideas?

Brew
Replace the solenoid. Sounds like it is stuck. You can try tapping on it to see if it stops, but you'll still need to replace it...
Good Luck.
dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:10 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtysouth View Post
Replace the solenoid. Sounds like it is stuck. You can try tapping on it to see if it stops, but you'll still need to replace it...
Good Luck.

True.......
Old 03-18-2009, 02:14 PM   #5
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

It sounds like the accelerator micro is stuck, the keyswitch is hot-wired, and the solenoid may be welded shut. YIKES!
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 07:48 PM   #6
tsbrewers
Not Yet Wild

It is not the accelerator, I checked that first.

when the cart is working, the switch and everything work fine, but when it is not, the key no longer works. This happens without doing anything to the cart, it works fine one day, then the next it doesn't? My dad has said he has replaced the solenoid a few times, so that most likely is the culprit.

also, the cart has no "speeds" it is pretty much 100% throttle no matter how far you push the accelerator?

Brew
Old 03-18-2009, 07:53 PM   #7
tsbrewers
Not Yet Wild

Just looking on ebay for a different solenoid, is there a certain type I should look for? certain amps? If I get a 36v, 100amp one, is it most likely to last a little longer, or doesn't that matter?

Brew
Old 03-18-2009, 07:59 PM   #8
rusty1
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

this cart has the resistor springs on it you need to make sure they are wires correctly this will affect the way the cart runs there are diagrams up in the stickies just find the one that matches your cart. also check that there are 3 different springs on the resistor board
rusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:16 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsbrewers View Post
It is not the accelerator, I checked that first.

when the cart is working, the switch and everything work fine, but when it is not, the key no longer works. This happens without doing anything to the cart, it works fine one day, then the next it doesn't? My dad has said he has replaced the solenoid a few times, so that most likely is the culprit.

also, the cart has no "speeds" it is pretty much 100% throttle no matter how far you push the accelerator?

Brew
Here is your problem right here!!!!! The speed wiper switch has issues....I don't care who says otherwise The cart is dangerous to operate until the wiper board is rebuilt IMHO
Old 03-18-2009, 09:24 PM   #10
tsbrewers
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Here is your problem right here!!!!! The speed wiper switch has issues....I don't care who says otherwise The cart is dangerous to operate until the wiper board is rebuilt IMHO

Are you offering?

Brew
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO