lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-11-2018, 06:40 PM   #1
bospider01
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Club Car Precedent 08+ Wiring Harness 8V Battery Connection

I recently purchased an 09 precedent that has lights and blinkers already installed. They used the
LGT-396: Club Car Precedent 08+ Wiring Harness 8V Battery Connection. This harness pulls 16v off 2 of the batteries and uses the ground that comes off the controller.

Well, I want to do it right and use a reducer. So, I purchased a 300A, 5-wire, 48v-12v reducer. A fuse block with a negbus. Also a 4 gang set of rocker switches. My intention is to rewire through the reducer, eliminate the pull knob and wire the headlights through a rocker switch.

Suggestions and experiences for this application? I should also mention that I intend on taking the radio which is currently wired to a separate 12 V battery and putting it on this fuse block as well as a set of under body led lights this weekend, and a LED bar in the future.
bospider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-11-2018, 07:41 PM   #2
Htownblue
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Club Car Precedent 08+ Wiring Harness 8V Battery Connection

You are absolutely doing the right thing. Wire the harness voltage input to the fuse block. Then Your reducer output to the fuse block. Ground accordingly on each. Input into the reducer should be from entire pack and the negative on the reducer connected to the bullet negative off the OBC. Hope this suffices for a brief explanation.
Htownblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:15 AM   #3
bospider01
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htownblue View Post
You are absolutely doing the right thing. Wire the harness voltage input to the fuse block. Then Your reducer output to the fuse block. Ground accordingly on each. Input into the reducer should be from entire pack and the negative on the reducer connected to the bullet negative off the OBC. Hope this suffices for a brief explanation.
I'm not the best when it comes to electronics. This is my attempt at an electrical schematic for what I'm trying to so. Please look it over to look for errors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180111_230828.jpg (136.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-12-2018, 05:43 AM   #4
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by bospider01 View Post
I'm not the best when it comes to electronics. This is my attempt at an electrical schematic for what I'm trying to so. Please look it over to look for errors.
OK, here's my 2c worth:

- The "trigger" wire is part of the input (not the output) of the reducer and should come from the cold side of the Key switch (the side that only has power when the key is on; normally the blue wire). I prefer to put another toggle switch in between them so that I can have the reducer off if I want even while the key switch is on to run the cart.
- The 48V negative should go to the yellow bullet connector on the black wire near the back of the battery pack (not straight to the main negative on the pack). This is so that the OBC knows how much power the reducer is pulling so that it runs the charger appropriately.
- The 12V negative should go straight to the centre -ve terminal on the fuse box (the way you have the +ve going straight to the centre +ve terminal).
- Your accessories get their power from the +ve and -ve connectors on the side of the fuse box) and each +ve will be fused separately.
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 06:55 PM   #5
bospider01
Getting Wild
Club Car

OK I think I got all that and I think it makes sense. Next question, what do I do with the positive wire that is currently feeding the headlights? Can I utilize it somehow in my new set up? I know I need to disconnected from that number 5 battery but what do I do with it? Same question applies to the negative or ground that is connected to that yellow bullet that is being used for the headlights.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:54 PM   #6
bospider01
Getting Wild
Club Car

O, and this is the reducer I'm using because I don't think the colors that you reference match entirely.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180108_161314.jpg (180.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-12-2018, 10:47 PM   #7
Htownblue
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by bospider01 View Post
OK I think I got all that and I think it makes sense. Next question, what do I do with the positive wire that is currently feeding the headlights? Can I utilize it somehow in my new set up? I know I need to disconnected from that number 5 battery but what do I do with it? Same question applies to the negative or ground that is connected to that yellow bullet that is being used for the headlights.
The power input line which connect to the light harness would connect to the fuse box positive, and the negative to the negative on the fuse box bus bar.

Your positive input into the reducer would connect to the positive terminal on Battery 6. The negative input from the reducer connects to the female bullet connector off of the OBC. If you have a key switch “on” wire that wire to the key switch “dead” wire which will turn the voltage reducer on when turning the key and giving current to the “dead” wire.

The positive output from the reducer will go to the positive on the fuse box. The negative output goes to the negative side of your fuse box.

Hope this helps.
Htownblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 08:07 AM   #8
bospider01
Getting Wild
Club Car

Makes perfect sense. Had a complete "duh" moment. Of course those original headlight wires would go to the fuse block. If I'm using rocker switches for all of my accessories including my headlights, does the positive go to the switch first and then terminate in the fuse block?
Old 01-13-2018, 10:28 AM   #9
bospider01
Getting Wild
Club Car

Htownblue, i am starting this madness today, being that you're also in houston, if you want to come have a beer and a good chuckle watching me fumble through this, come on over!
Old 01-13-2018, 12:55 PM   #10
Raystar57
Gone Wild

Club Car

Hey guys can I get in on this, I can bring a couple of sixers!
Opps my bad, I can't as I committed to watching football fumbles already.
Looks like Htown has got you covered!
Maybe next time!
Good luck!
Raystar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car