lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-09-2014, 05:05 PM   #1
ezgo on fire
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default G16 swap Yamaha

Has anybody done the swap kit from Vegas carts on a g16 Yamaha. Just picked up a 2001 model. The motor came apart and blew part of the case off. Can't find a motor for less than 1500. Just looking for advise. Does the motor kit come with everything to do the swap. Easy swap. And how did it run after the swap
ezgo on fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-10-2014, 01:08 PM   #2
firemedic247
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: G16 swap Yamaha

Just got my VC 460 yesterday and I'm sorting through and planning the install for my G9. There's not to much difference in the two. I still have tons of questions but as I work through the install I'll share my progress on my thread Project meat wagon.
firemedic247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 01:55 PM   #3
ezgo on fire
Gone Wild
Club Car

Thanks firemedic. I went ahead and ordered the complete kit this morning. I'll also post some pics and problems along the way. Seems pretty straight foward to install.
Old 07-10-2014, 04:26 PM   #4
MudHog
South LA Coonass
Yamaha

I'm considering the 460 engine if I cannot come across a used GX390 for under $200. I'm subscribed now, so I will certainly like to know how it works for you guys. I would be doing the swap on a 2006 G22AC.

Noise level is a concern as I don't want loud. I've thought about retaining the stock muffler and building a new header.
MudHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 05:11 PM   #5
ezgo on fire
Gone Wild
Club Car

Noise level was a consern of mine to. I use mine in the woods hunting. Some people are running atv or a small car muffler with great results. I think the stock muffler has a small exit port and is still restictive. But im not sure. I posted some pics of my new build cart the motor is going in. Just picked it up for cheap. I was going to rebuild the g16 but I blew a soft ball size hole in the back of the block. Been wanting to do one of these for a while anyways.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg green cart.JPG (403.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-12-2014, 03:36 PM   #6
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Power is great with mine and great with a stock one I did before that. Mine just revs higher and maybe a little more power with some cheap mods (except porting the head lol). Power is about double the stock tired G9 engine in my estimate it is night/day difference once you jet the carb. Most of the difficulty is detail things like hooking up cables and making your exhaust. I had robertson make me a header to fit it works nice, used a car muffler its quiet to 1/4 throttle then gets louder the more I step on it. But it has no tailpipe either that would help a car muffler a lot. It sounds like an atv when I hammer it and I like it so far. If you lift the cart a clone is way more fun.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:32 PM   #7
ezgo on fire
Gone Wild
Club Car

Finally got all my parts and some time. So today I pulled the old motor and got the new clone in. Also got to drive it about 100' with an electric fuel pump. Still have to clean the fuel tank. I may even go with the electric fuel pump and do away with the pulse pump. Did the brake in and changed the oil. Things learned. The whole governor assembly has to come off for the motor to fit. Forgot to tighten lock nut on rocker shaft. Motor ran for about two minutes before dying. For the short drive i could really tell the difference in power. Now just have to figure out some exhaust. Maybe a car muffler or the factory exhaust. Hopefully take it out for more a drive tomorrow. Im not sure how much dust that air filter will capture might figure something else out. If anybody has any suggestions please let me know. This is my first build.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 1(6) - Copy.JPG (133.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg photo 1(7).JPG (107.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg photo 3(4).JPG (111.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg photo 3(5).JPG (146.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-08-2014, 01:08 AM   #8
geoffw
Gone Wild

Club Car

Lookin Good!
geoffw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 11:39 AM   #9
ezgo on fire
Gone Wild
Club Car

Hard lesson number 3. Don't forget to tighten the bolt that holds The tension bracket to the starter. It WILL back out and destroy your new pulley. But I did get to drive it a couple miles. Might be a little faster but man I can go down in a ditch and climb right out with no prob. Keep the pedal start I personally like it. Went with the electric fule pump. I don't see why the carb can't handle 6 psi. Correct me if I'm wrong. So far havnt had to choke it to start. I was thinking about adding a boat electric pulse pump and plumb it into The pulse adapter fitting. That away can just push a button and shoot small amount of fuel into the carb. Well see
Old 08-08-2014, 01:29 PM   #10
MudHog
South LA Coonass
Yamaha

Looking good.
MudHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps