lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Bike & ATV Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-18-2014, 02:00 PM   #1
Dapper540Gent
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Honda 185s into a 1984 EZ-GO Marathon gas cart

I got a free Honda 185s 3 wheeler engine, all it needs is a gasket set to fix an oil leak and the valves adjusted.
What is the best way to connect the chain drive off the transmission (5 speed semi-auto) to the golf cart rear end?
I thought about tearing apart the driven clutch and welding a sprocket onto the base of it that goes into the rear end, but I'd like to know if there was a better way to go about this.

For anyone who saw the other thread with the 340, the deal on that engine fell through.
Dapper540Gent is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-21-2014, 08:52 AM   #2
Unforgiven
Feral

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Honda 185s into a 1984 EZ-GO Marathon gas cart

Seen a few builds on here that, they buy a sprocket hub or fab one to mount to the rear dif. Another option is to mount the ATV rear in the cart, but 185s don't have reverse so,...I'd lean toward chain sprocket.

good luck,..
Unforgiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:47 AM   #3
Dapper540Gent
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

What do you mean by buy a sprocket hub? I wasn't aware the 185s transmission didn't have reverse, either.
The ATV rear is out of the question, this particular bike landed on something hard enough to snap the axle and crack the frame.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:12 PM   #4
Unforgiven
Feral

Mixed Breed

3 wheeler? not the bike? 185s produced from 1981-1983, Five forward no reverse. used the reverse feature on the Marathon. I've seen people order a hub for the splined shaft on the rear end then bolt or weld the sporket to it. You will need to drop down on the teeth count on rear because the Marathon rear ratio is going to be something around 8:1. electric rear ends are 12:1 or something like that. don't quote me on the ratios,....thats off the top of my head
Unforgiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 12:43 PM   #5
Dapper540Gent
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Sorry for the misunderstanding, I use bike in place of 3 or 4 wheeler sometimes.
I was going to weld the spiders together to make a posi and weld a sprocket onto the base of the driven clutch.
I'll just have to be careful where I go so I won't need to back up!
Or get a winch...
Old 04-28-2014, 08:36 PM   #6
Dapper540Gent
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

The Golf Cart is up and running! Headlight's out and the 244cc Robin is still running.
It looks like the engine is mounted on a subframe of sorts, can I unbolt the bushings in the front and the shock mounts or something in the back and just roll it out from under the body?

Tags
185, 1984, ezgo, honda, swap
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Bike & ATV Engine Swaps