lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Bike & ATV Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-26-2014, 07:46 PM   #21
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: Polaris Trail Boss motor into Yamaha G2

Nice work on the insulated motor mounts When you pull the motor, might want to install the f/e shifter cables for ease of alighning the marks on the shaft and cable brackets.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-28-2014, 09:56 AM   #22
stuff4mason
G8 Club Founding Member

Yamaha

so do you have plenty of clearance of the head/plug wire to the bottom of the seat? I ended up moving my cradle down about 2 inches to get everything to clear.
stuff4mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:10 AM   #23
XxMertxX
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Yeah, plenty of room, at least 2 inches of space above the plug wire.

Yesterday I mocked some of the electrical, fuel lines, and exhaust. I also got the pulse line installed into the top of the crankcase and figured out the linkage for the accelerator. That was a bit of a pain because this is a two stroke motor, so I had to integrate part of the original cables in order to keep the oil pump functional along with the throttle cable. I had to make some small adjustments, but I was able to get the pedal to utilize the full range of the throttle in the carb. Should work nicely.
Hopefully I can get some of the wiring tied up soon, enough to get the motor running anyway.

Things I still have to figure out:
- Where to mount the oil resevoir
- Where to mount the patch panel and other misc electrical things
- How to mount the exhaust
- How to mount/alter the air filter.

With everything being on a swing arm, i have to find a way to mount things like the air filter and exhaust, without tying it to the upper portions of the cart. I've a few idea, but i'll dig into them more when I get to that page.
XxMertxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 12:06 PM   #24
stuff4mason
G8 Club Founding Member

Yamaha

I've got that same machine - Trailboss 250 2x4. Spent a month getting it to run just right, along with bunches of expensive parts. We finally took it on a trail ride last summer and let my 11 year old ride it. (Its too rough for me to ride for 6-8 hours). What does he do? He runs it full-bore through the deepest mud puddle on the entire trail and kills it. Hasn't run since then. If I can get these carts done I can get back to it...maybe...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010390.jpg (380.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-28-2014, 12:38 PM   #25
XxMertxX
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

That one looks quite a bit older than mine, haha. Mine is a 1990. Sounds like you might have gotten a bunch of water into the carb. Is there a check valve on the line coming off the overflow on the bowl?
I have a '91 trailboss 350 liquid in my shed that needs to be put back together. After rebuilding the top end, i found out the water pump was bad.
I considered putting that motor into the cart, but I already spent a bunch of money on replacing shocks on it, so that wouldn't have been a smart move.
Too many projects, not enough time/money!
Old 02-28-2014, 01:09 PM   #26
stuff4mason
G8 Club Founding Member

Yamaha

Probably not water, but MUD!! Its a 1988. Its like the last on the list of priority machines! My list goes like this: Get G16 running right, Change oil and fix up G8 as camping season is right around the corner, Get G16 finished and ready for CAW by mid May, then, repair my brother n laws ATV that my son wrecked, then, fix wife's Yamaha Timberwolf, fix my older son's china quad's front steering knuckle, THEN get to the Polaris!!! I am sure something will break in between then, so Polaris may never get fixed!
Old 02-28-2014, 01:14 PM   #27
XxMertxX
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Make the kid fix it. Would be good for him to learn!
Old 02-28-2014, 02:15 PM   #28
stuff4mason
G8 Club Founding Member

Yamaha

Right.........He talks about taking small engine repair in high school, but won't spend a minute out in the garage with his old dad to learn anything! He'd much rather NOT ride his ATV, or ride someone else's, and sit on his phone, play basketball or hide in his room...teenagers
Old 02-28-2014, 10:08 PM   #29
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

I would have died to have an atv, a garage, tools, and a dad to teach me stuff when I was a kid! My dad was too busy working OT to pay for his frankenboat project that I could never even look at. Oh well. Guess that's why we, as dads, try to give our kids what we never had, right? I hate the smartphone era!!!

On a lighter note, you'll get that thing running. Those old 2 strokes are more durable than most of the new stuff, just prob needs cleaned out.

Can't wait to see this project come to fruition.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:19 PM   #30
XxMertxX
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Sorry for lack of updates...work picked up and less time to putz around in the garage.
I got a few parts ordered and figured out how i plan to route most of the wiring. I ordered up an ignition switch with a turn start on it, a fuse block, and also dropped some money on a new movable sheave. I got the spring seat spacer from my local dealer, surprisingly enough it was a lot cheaper than any place I found them online. I also decided to keep the current helix, while it is chewed up a bit, i think with new ramp shoes it will work just fine. I can always buy one if I feel like its causing problems.
Hoping to get all the parts I need this week and maybe get some time on some of the wiring next weekend. Would be nice to at least get the motor fired up again.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Bike & ATV Engine Swaps