lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-21-2013, 11:30 AM   #1
dubs27
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Subaru Robin 25 hp motor swap?

Long story short my brother has a chuck wagon utv like they sell at tractor supply. It has a 9 hp subaru motor in it. He wants to upgrade to a V-Twin so hes looking at a subaru 25hp motor he said the mud motor guys have been ranting over how much more power they have over the Vangsurds. Before he pulls the trigger I told him I would ask you guys advice because I've never seen a build here with one. Thanks in advanced
dubs27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-21-2013, 11:55 AM   #2
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Default Re: Subaru Robin 25 hp motor swap?

I have no experience with that motor, but I can tell you the reason that alot of guys go with the Briggs is because there are a ton of aftermarket performance parts abailable. With the Subaru, you'll have a hard time upgrading anything over stock. Just something to consider.
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:59 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I have that motor in my monster cart. EH72 is a 720cc motor. I'm running it stock, very reliable and not too bad on gas for it's size. I'm rolling on 25x12x10
The motor is sort of tall
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:11 PM   #4
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Its been used here before, it was pretty cheap to buy at one time. They make good stock power, but like stated aftermarket parts may not even exist....while you can make a top fuel motor out of a vanguard lol. If you had a cart with high gearing such as 25s or better or HS gears, and you planned on a stock v twin being good enough, it might be a good troublefree engine to use. I've run them in equipment and liked them.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:57 AM   #5
dubs27
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
Its been used here before, it was pretty cheap to buy at one time. They make good stock power, but like stated aftermarket parts may not even exist....while you can make a top fuel motor out of a vanguard lol. If you had a cart with high gearing such as 25s or better or HS gears, and you planned on a stock v twin being good enough, it might be a good troublefree engine to use. I've run them in equipment and liked them.
Thanks for the info that's what I told him he is running 25" tires. I think he has ultimately decided to go with a Vangard
dubs27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:25 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I got my EH72 for a song on CL. Near new it had an ignitor problem and had been placed in storage after a few hours of run time - where I ultimately found it. Very reliable and smooth motor with lots of power.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:01 PM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Stock 25hp should be nothing to sneeze at, unless you just like to mess with stuff like I do. My clone has way more power I need to ride a vanguard and see what its like lol. I know a guy with a 27hp LC Kawasaki vtwin sitting there. Its a real tall motor though and you have to mount the radiator and fan/etc. I want to build a limo though, if I ever get to it that might be a good motor for it. I'd likely put gears in it or run minimum 25s on it.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:06 PM   #8
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Quote:
Stock 25hp should be nothing to sneeze at, unless you just like to mess with stuff like I do. My clone has way more power I need to ride a vanguard and see what its like lol. I know a guy with a 27hp LC Kawasaki vtwin sitting there. Its a real tall motor though and you have to mount the radiator and fan/etc. I want to build a limo though, if I ever get to it that might be a good motor for it. I'd likely put gears in it or run minimum 25s on it.
Sho, you are welcome to come try out my Vanny anytime. Ask nobuckbuild how it runs. He drove it this summer. More improvements since then.
You may want to wait til springtime though. I just ordered my supercharger today, and it should be installed by then.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:49 PM   #9
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1989Marathon View Post
Sho, you are welcome to come try out my Vanny anytime. Ask nobuckbuild how it runs. He drove it this summer. More improvements since then.
You may want to wait til springtime though. I just ordered my supercharger today, and it should be installed by then.
If you were closer I'd be there, though I tend to not like hammering on other people's stuff.

Problem with a SC is adding fuel under boost and taking timing out under boost. Otherwise it runs poor off boost. I would love to put a DIY EFI on my cart but not found one reasonable and ran out of research time lol. It would be so nice to have, the efi utv run great.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:51 PM   #10
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Quote:
If you were closer I'd be there, though I tend to not like hammering on other people's stuff.
Trust me... you couldn't hammer on it any more than I do.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!