lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Bike & ATV Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-24-2012, 12:41 AM   #1
Hog Rush, LLC
Not Yet Wild

Default Golf Cart 4x4 ATV conversion

Hi, I own a Hog Hunting outfit here in Alabama. We have a couple electric carts but have had to walk out when deep in the woods to get the truck. Looking to go Gas.

Thinking of going ATV engine swap for several reasons:
More gears
less rpm needed to move vs. cvt
cost
able to go 4x4 with less cost vs a FAGBOY Buggy
speed

My biggest concern is noise. I think with an extra muffler off a street bike added to the existing ATV muffler would be fine.

My question before buying up the parts I need is this:

Which Cart frame is best. I was thinking of a EZGO electric with a rear flip up seat.

I will most likely go with a Honda Foreman 4x4 or Rancher ATV utilizing the front and rear diffs as well as the engine.

Anyone see any issues with this setup?

Thanks
Hog Rush, LLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-24-2012, 03:39 AM   #2
JcXtreme72
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Golf Cart 4x4 ATV conversion

No issues if you can weld. I've been kicking around this idea for quite some time actually. If noise is a concern then you can always go this route
http://www.imaginativemfg.com/imaginativemfg5_004.htm
JcXtreme72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:45 PM   #3
dlow61
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Did you ever build the cart?
dlow61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:08 PM   #4
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I would go with a generator muffler or similar if you want quiet. I got a quiet flow walker car muffler and it is about riding lawnmower levels but has no tailpipe on it right now and that would help it some. I would go cvt anyway it is way easier to drive that is why everyone is going to them. With muffler work you can make it quiet. Most clutches you can tune. Notice ford likes to run a glass pack muffler (they call it a resonator) then a normal chambered muffler at the rear of the car and they are quiet.

Unless you have a lot of mud it would not hurt to try a cart you can get a posi kit to put in the rear, only some models you can get them for. Then put some 25s on it and see how far you can go with it. There are some mods you do to the clutches to get more power at low speeds. You can put a clone or vanguard in it for more power, can get more places than you think with that setup....but 4x4 just rules in mud and snow. 2wd can work well otherwise because most of the weight in a cart is on the rear axle.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:24 AM   #5
Hog Rush, LLC
Not Yet Wild

I am still trying to decide on the best option.
I have a Kawasaki Teryx but despise the whole CVT idea. I am working on it as I get time to custromize it to my needs. I am adding a rear seat, quieter add on muffler, and my thermal/night vision gear mounts.

I guess I will roll with what I have for now. Already have permits and hunting now.
If I can get the Teryx quiet enough, I may just run it. However a system that will allow me to idle through fields in gear would be best.

I like the build the guy did with the 300ex engine swap. That would be ideal for me as I crawl through crops fields looking for Hogs.

Electric carts are fine, but after walking out 2.5 miles last year to get the truck, I am not going there again.
Hog Rush, LLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:05 AM   #6
Pitbull Joe
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

This is going to be a cool build.
Pitbull Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:30 PM   #7
Jax50
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Hog, I put a atv motor in mine and welded up the gears and it is a beast with only 2wd. Its no really quiet with the muffler I have on it now but I have tried others that have made it quiet.

Jax50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:34 PM   #8
Pitbull Joe
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

That bumper is bad@ss!
Pitbull Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:52 PM   #9
mryo1988
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

This is mine I've been messing around with on the weekends. Not done but enough to test drive. It started life as a Hyundai golf cart and a 1997 Polaris 500 scrambler 4x4. It's quick and the stock muffler isn't too loud (average ATV). I pretty much just stretched the atv and merged the golf cart midsection. Lots of welding and tricky frame design! I left all the stock suspension geometry. Plus you get hydraulic disc brakes (with a slight line extention). Can't wait to finish! Hopefully this gives some ideas!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0419.jpg (212.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0424.jpg (222.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0427.jpg (217.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0429.jpg (214.1 KB, 0 views)
mryo1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:25 AM   #10
dragos28
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax50 View Post
Hog, I put a atv motor in mine and welded up the gears and it is a beast with only 2wd. Its no really quiet with the muffler I have on it now but I have tried others that have made it quiet.

Any link or pics of how you welded up the gears on your cart?

i'm considering doing mine...
dragos28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Bike & ATV Engine Swaps