lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-06-2012, 10:12 AM   #1
Ezgohunter1
Not Yet Wild

Default Adding head lights to 97 DCS

I need to add headlights to my hunting buggy. These will see limited use, only in and out of the woods when needed. Is it necessary to install a 48 to 12 converter for this one accessory? In the future, I plan to add one for additional accessories and I know that this the ideal thing to do but right now I really don't have the extra cash for a good converter. I would like to just use two batteries in series as a temporary solution for my lights as long as I am not risking damage to my battery pack. Do I risk any pack damage in this scenario?
Ezgohunter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-07-2012, 04:26 AM   #2
chloe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Adding head lights to 97 DCS

The answer to your question is; Yes, you do risk some damage. But, it should be minimal, (larger/excessive drain on those two batteries), and as long as this is a temp solution, shouldn't cause any problems.
chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:13 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezgohunter1 View Post
.....................I would like to just use two batteries in series as a temporary solution for my lights as long as I am not risking damage to my battery pack. Do I risk any pack damage in this scenario?
Hopefully your 48V battery pack is a 8 X 6V system.

If it is only occasional use and temporary, "Damage" may be too strong of a word to describe what will happen.

The two 6V batteries selected to run the accessories will be discharged deeper than the other six 6V batteries in the pack, so they will "Age" faster.

When the battery pack is charged with an automatic charger, the same current flows through all eight batteries for the same amount of time, therefore the two batteries used to run the accessories will end up with a lower State of Charge than the other six batteries, which in turn increases the Aging rate for those two batteries.

The best way to mitigate the unequal aging issue is to pre-charge the two batteries used for accessories with a 12v charger, up to the same State of Charge as the other batteries before charging the whole pack.

The next best would be to post-charge the two to the same SoC as the other six, after the entire pack had been charged with a 48V charger.

How long to pre or post charge can also be calculated by determining how many Amp-Hours were used by the accessories and putting that amount back into them with the 12V charger.

For example, you ran two 55W headlights for two hours.
55W x 2 = 110W
100W / 12V = 9.167A
9.2A x 2Hr = 18.4AH

Your 12V charger puts out 6A
18.4AH / 6A = ~3hr.
Battery charging efficiency is only about 80% or so
3Hr / .8 = 3.75HR.

So you each time you run the headlights for two hours you want to charge the two batteries about 3 hours and 45 minutes with a 12V charger before or after you charge the pack with your 48V charger.

Of course, you'll have to use the actual number of amps used by your accessories and put out by your 12V charger, but the calculations are the same.

Hope this helps.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:34 AM   #4
WingMaster
Not Yet Wild

Do what I did.

I swapped out my 12 volt bulbs in my after market lights for 36 volt bulbs. No converter needed, no longer drawing from two batteries.

Two 55 watt, 36 volt halogen bulbs cost about $3.00.
WingMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:43 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Excellent idea wingmaster
Any link to 36v bulbs for little $ ?

P.S.
The damage to an unbalanced pack Is done to both the low batteries and the rest of the pack, the charger does not red each battery just the total voltage. If 2 batteries are low it brings the pack up normal cut off point. Which will put the other 4 over the optimum voltage and still leave the low 2 a little lower, then you use the lights again and the syndrome repeats... so the whole pack suffers eventually.

This is why it is not recommended, anyway if you must do it use a voltmeter to check your pack before and after charging so you know where your individual batteries stand
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:39 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
P.S.
The damage to an unbalanced pack Is done to both the low batteries and the rest of the pack, the charger does not red each battery just the total voltage. If 2 batteries are low it brings the pack up normal cut off point. Which will put the other 4 over the optimum voltage and still leave the low 2 a little lower, then you use the lights again and the syndrome repeats... so the whole pack suffers eventually.

This is why it is not recommended, anyway if you must do it use a voltmeter to check your pack before and after charging so you know where your individual batteries stand
Oops, forgot to mention that part of it.

As for bulb voltage, I believe Ezgohunter1 has a 48V battery pack.
Offhand, I don't know if direct replacement 48V bulbs are readily available, but 24V might be and two could be wired in series.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:42 PM   #7
Ezgohunter1
Not Yet Wild

Thanks guys. I actually found some h3 halogen bulbs that are 48v online. I think I will go this route for the time being and when I add the converter it will be easy to swap the bulbs back to 12v. I appreciate all of the input.
Ezgohunter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:17 AM   #8
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
How long to pre or post charge can also be calculated by determining how many Amp-Hours were used by the accessories and putting that amount back into them with the 12V charger.

For example, you ran two 55W headlights for two hours.
55W x 2 = 110W
100W / 12V = 9.167A
9.2A x 2Hr = 18.4AH

Your 12V charger puts out 6A
18.4AH / 6A = ~3hr.
Battery charging efficiency is only about 80% or so
3Hr / .8 = 3.75HR.

So you each time you run the headlights for two hours you want to charge the two batteries about 3 hours and 45 minutes with a 12V charger before or after you charge the pack with your 48V charger.

Of course, you'll have to use the actual number of amps used by your accessories and put out by your 12V charger, but the calculations are the same.

Hope this helps.
Minor typo above, but the calculation is correct.

We obviously need to install a data-logger to help with this.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:02 AM   #9
WingMaster
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Excellent idea wingmaster
Any link to 36v bulbs for little $ ?
Here's where I bought mine, seems the price has gone up a little since I bought mine:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/H3-55W-36V-A...058a76&vxp=mtr

I think he also has them for you 48 volt fellows.
WingMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO