lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Bike & ATV Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-01-2011, 10:44 AM   #1
Tonka329
Smoov az a gravy sammich

Yamaha

Default Polaris engine swap?

Just dropping in to see if anyone has swapped out a Polaris engine into a Yammi cart? I have thought about doing this for the past couple weeks Any ideas, mounting or engine size input would be great!
Tonka329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-01-2011, 06:20 PM   #2
Tonka329
Smoov az a gravy sammich

Yamaha

Default Re: Polaris engine swap?

TTT
Old 01-02-2011, 12:05 PM   #3
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Happy new year Tonka, I think a 440/500 cc fan cooled
would make a great engine swap. keep in mind a sled engine
makes its peak horsepower at higher rpms.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:18 PM   #4
Tonka329
Smoov az a gravy sammich

Yamaha

Heppy new year to you also! I should have clarified, I am going to look of a 4 stroke ATV engine... My fault!
Old 01-02-2011, 02:08 PM   #5
AirJunky
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

You thinking of using the cart or ATV rear diff/suspension?
AirJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:39 PM   #6
Tonka329
Smoov az a gravy sammich

Yamaha

That I have not decided... I think I will be going with the Allsports 7" lift or the Jakes long travel... Just looking for a motor and all electrical components for now
Old 01-03-2011, 01:20 AM   #7
AirJunky
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I think Allsports sells lift blocks for the rear in their lift kits. And Jakes may do that too. That type of lift definitely works. But it's not much of an improvement over the stock cart's ride..... just a bit higher. This is why you see guys in here building 3 & 4 link rear suspensions so often.

If you check the various build threads in here, most guys have to revise the engine mount &/or rear swingarm on their carts to accommodate the new engine. They have to buy & fit clutches in there. And they have to design it so the two clutches align correctly. Probably no exception when using a Polaris engine.

Many ATV engines will have their clutch assemblies protected inside a cover. Or they might be shaft drive. The rear suspension may be independent (which may be better for soaking up bumps than a swingarm).

I've been thinking that the engine, transaxle & swingarm assembly from an 80s Honda Big Red 3 wheeler might be a good setup in a cart. Their tough as nails, readily available for under $500. 250 cc engine that parts are easy to come by. 4 or 5 speed transmission. Automatic or manual available. Shaft drive so no clutches to deal with. Similar swingarm & rear diff as a cart. Looks like they are around 44" wide.... might be able to use spacers or a different offset wheel to get to the 48" - 50" these carts have.

I haven't gotten a chance to really look at a 3 wheeler. But saw someone ask about it in another thread & the more I dig into it online, the better it sounds. Plus they do almost 40 mph in stock condition.
AirJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:46 PM   #8
jondeere_91
Not Yet Wild

i need some help with mounting my 440 in my cart i cant figure out the belt the motor turns one way an the axle turns the opisit way. anyone have a solution that will help me?
jondeere_91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:53 PM   #9
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Jondeere look in big block threads and a ton of information about ccw and cw engine swaps.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:39 PM   #10
regalrcr
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

putting a 400 sportsman 2003 in my yammi g16 now.down to the harness now,and its a beast.cant get it to fire yet.
regalrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Bike & ATV Engine Swaps