lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center
Design Center Shop tools, fabrication and Paint and Body

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-02-2013, 01:38 AM   #81
hollywood703
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Custom Shifter Build

Is that a factory Shifter Texas? I am in need of something similar for my electric to gas conversion gearbox.........Doesnt have to be a double single should work fine.......just need to make sure before I order it.
hollywood703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-19-2013, 08:40 PM   #82
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Some of those old 3 speed floor shifters had a big bent handle, you might slot the body and mount it all inside with that. Just another idea. I want to make mine electric push button, but really hate to invite all that stuff to possibly fail lol. Sometimes simple is best.

One shifter I saw used a bell crank, really simple L shape that changes in/out to sideways movement. Then relocate the shifter if you need to, but it moves side to side that way so the stock shifter can remain facing the way it does.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:02 AM   #83
Texas001
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

There was a guy that was building a floor shift for a gas txt. He was one of those who could analyze a problem to death. He bought a floor shift for a single cable auto transmission. Then he did all kinds of mods on it until he got it like he wanted it. We communicated back and forth and he sent me pics of all the mods he did and he said that he had it completed, installed and it worked great. Then I could never get him to answer my emails and get the final drawings. So I gave up on it. Don't know what happened to him, hope nothing bad.

My latest idea was to build a floor shifter with this in mind. Some simple bent stick that would activate a micro switch for forward and one for reverse. The stick housing would need a way to keep the stick in place. Maybe a slot or a bolt to hold the switch open or (see later on in the description) Then on the transmission have an actuator that would be a dual throw. Something like the actuator that operates your power lock on a car. The throw would only have to be 3/4 of an inch one way and then neutral and then 3/4 1nch for the reverse direction. Following from above, if the actuator stayed put (not go back to neutral) then you would not need to hold the micro switch closed. On the power door locks the actuator stays up or down when you release the button. So this would work in one respect but not give you a neutral. I wanted a forward, neutral and reverse. But I could never find the right actuator to start with. All the rest of the materials are readily available and you can bend an aluminum rod to you liking. what do you think? If you can take this idea and run with it, it is yours to do so. BUT if you do design and make a working model all I ask is the drawings and where you found the actuator that works the way I want it to. Good luck.
Texas001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:25 AM   #84
Bill
Getting Wild

Texas-

Instead of a door lock solenoid have You lookes at any linear actuators like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-XSCORPIO...#ht_5718wt_954

The only things I can think of as a drawback would be the speed of the actuator and You would have to use limit switches so the actuator knows where to stop.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:41 PM   #85
Texas001
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I'll check it out.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:51 AM   #86
army
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I'm gonna do something like this. I don't like my sideways shifter. Mine is a push-pull dual cable setup. Can't tell if the cart that inspired this thread is the same or a single cable. Shouldn't matter? I thought about using an electric actuator but like Sho says, why invite problems? I've driven many miles in big trucks with electric shift two speed rear axles. They usually work ok but they're annoying to operate. Doesn't matter how good you are it's rare to shift one without some growling and clacking noises.
army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:54 AM   #87
Texas001
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Army, if you have the two cable set up then check this out: http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/desig...ter-build.html

My cart is single cable so can't use Cheesy's creation. The components are somewhat different between the 2 and single cable set up.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:18 PM   #88
Madspeed
Not Yet Wild

look at this one I ran across http://www.desertkarts.com/item179099.ctlg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shifter10.JPG (115.1 KB, 0 views)
Madspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:51 AM   #89
mazdawg(Mikey)
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for digging this thread up! I've started designing my shifter and this thread has giving me many helpful ideas on how I can make mine better
mazdawg(Mikey) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:32 PM   #90
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I always wanted a Hurst shifter, but I'd be wacking my legs on it all the time.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center