lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center
Design Center Shop tools, fabrication and Paint and Body

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-15-2013, 04:35 PM   #91
Texas001
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Custom Shifter Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madspeed View Post
look at this one I ran across http://www.desertkarts.com/item179099.ctlg
Nice looking rig but it may be too short of a handle and there isn't much you can tell about its workings. I am going to get the specifics and dimensions from the mfg if he will give them up.
Texas001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-15-2013, 07:39 AM   #92
Cheesy
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Hey Texas.... Any luck with your shifter build as of yet? Maybe post up a couple pictures of what your up against, and I can take a look and scratch my head on it.

Cheesy
Cheesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:42 AM   #93
Texas001
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Angry Re: Custom Shifter Build

I have given up on my ideas. I wanted to find a actuator that would mount on the transmission and be able to push/pull the lever. I thought of using mico switches with the floor shift lever moving forward and backward to activate the actuator but could not find any that had enough energy to move the lever on the transmission. Kind of like the door lock actuator on a car. Click up, click down. That was one idea.

The other was the idea of another golf cart guy. He used this shifter:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Li...b6501c&vxp=mtr

Then he made modification after modification until be got it working. But then when he was going to send me pictures I lost track of him, he would not reply to emails and I think maybe something bad happened. He was an older guy like me. But here is what he said:

NOTE: I'm going to install the PRC unit in the floor with the "round" part facing toward the ground. In other words, bolting the unit to the floor with only the four (4) bolt flange showing. This allows the gear shift rod where it bolts to the shift rod to travel about 3/4" each way from neutral position. This allow the pivot boat (spring tension) to be above the cart floor. To do this, I drilled a 5/16" hole down 3-3/8" from the top of the shifter handle. (This is the lever with the plain...no holes in it. That is now the hole for the "pivot" bolt with spring. This allows the travel/throw to be very short...only about 3/4" from neutral to reverse and forward gear. (Problem before was the throw was too long and would hit the seat or the dash just to move the lever on the transmission enough to shift).

Now here's the important change. I took the two "stop" screws/bolts and put one in the second hole from the left for the "forward" stop. The other bolt in the third hole from the right side for reverse stop. With this you will have only 1/8" space for the lever to move when in "neutral" position. When you do that, you will have no "stop" for the lever to go too far...left or right. So, here's what I did to cure that. I removed the lever from the unit, and drilled the "old" pivot hole out to 1/2" size. When I installed the lever back in the unit, the over-size (1/2" hole now serves as the stop, as the small bolt heads fall into the 1/2" drilled hole.

I got one more email from him where he said that he had the shifter installed and his wife was driving the cart around and loved the shifter. This is for the single cable cart and he used the original cable and connected it to the PRC shifter. I think this guy was in mechanical engineer or had a lot of time and patience because he turned that PRC shifter upside down and inside out and back again. Maybe you can build a prototype and then sell some. I would be in line to get the first one. I just didn't have the patience or the "real" tools to do what he did and make mine work. I just scraped his idea and then tried mine and failed at it too.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:59 AM   #94
PAPABEAR1
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

This is gonna happen..thanks for the idea
PAPABEAR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:35 AM   #95
Texas001
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAPABEAR1 View Post
This is gonna happen..thanks for the idea

If you are successful please let me know how you were able to complete the concept and with the parts used and where you got them. I am not a very patient guy and after jacking with this for a while I threw in the towel. You seem to have a very positive attitude and I am counting on you. Good luck.
Old 08-29-2015, 08:57 AM   #96
biggerthanyou
Not Yet Wild

**** thats sick!!
biggerthanyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 10:25 AM   #97
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

The G2 Project 72.JPG

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 07:21 PM   #98
bokeasmowl
friends call me Boke

Yamaha

Very cool Ron.
bokeasmowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 04:06 PM   #99
Cheesy
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Looks Great Ron!!!

Have since sold my cart, but have picked up a Yamaha Drive to replace it. Plan is to get it built before spring rolls along. I will be sure to document this build as well.
Cheesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 09:58 AM   #100
thetoddjohnson
Gone Wild

Eventually I'm going to put a Hurst on a DS that I'm turning into a rat. I intend to put a fake clutch pedal as well to really freak out the casual observer.

TJ
thetoddjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center