lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-18-2023, 11:59 AM   #1
klanel
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Drop in lithium replacement for 48v Club Car

I have a Club Car 48v that is in need of battery replacement. The current batteries are Trojan and I've had them I think about 6 years. Replacements for the same are about $1200 for the six. I am willing to replace but thought it might be a good time to think of alternatives.

What's out there in the way of a drop in lithium? What are the pros/cons?
klanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-18-2023, 04:39 PM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Drop in lithium replacement for 48v Club Car

There are many threads in the lithium section. Go read them! They are more $$ but worth it IMO. RoyPow and ECO are both good brands to look at. Do not go cheap with Lithium. Do NOT consider series 12V lithium batteries! Read the threads to see why!
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 03:33 PM   #3
klanel
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
They are more $$ but worth it IMO.
The only way I could justify it will be based on lifespan. I'm sure there are other benefits but for me, the maintenance on the lead acid has been minimal, they have enough capacity for what I need. But having said that, now is the time to switch if I am going to. I've seen some online with high reviews under 2k but not the brands you mentioned. Thanks,..
Old 01-19-2023, 03:37 PM   #4
jasonojordan
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by klanel View Post
The only way I could justify it will be based on lifespan. I'm sure there are other benefits but for me, the maintenance on the lead acid has been minimal, they have enough capacity for what I need. But having said that, now is the time to switch if I am going to. I've seen some online with high reviews under 2k but not the brands you mentioned. Thanks,..
There are other brands out there that are cheaper but are going to lack the customer service the previous mentioned brands have. If you have a good understanding of lithium batteries then that extra cost of the technical service may be less needed in your case.

Avoid multiple BMS- AKA multiple 12v batteries
Make sure it has at least 100a sustained draw

Thats just a couple of the things you need to look for a pack to be successful for you.

End of the day lithium and its costs are not for everyone. FLA may still be the best bang for the buck for your use case.
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 03:45 PM   #5
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Be prepared to spend around 2.5K for a decent Lithium Drop-in solution. Yes there are some selling for less but they can be marginal in performance and not backed up by a decent company supplying them.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 04:37 PM   #6
DaveTM
Gone Wild

From the sounds of it, being that you got a good 6 years out of the existing pack, and your statement that maintenance has been minimal (minimal to some is a lot to others) you may just wish to stick with FLA’s.

My self-built pack change over was a different matter. For my use, (hunting/rough ground..etc) the weight loss plus increased travel distance on a charge made the decision easy.

But, again, if you’re happy with FLA’s and likely will get another 6-7 years outta $1,200…staying “old school” may be your best option.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 06:21 PM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Also a big determining factor will be modifications to your cart.

If your cart is stock you could go with a 72aH eco or a pair of allied 30aH batteries (for 60aH capacity) and be just fine. I don’t know about the eco price but allied will run you around 1800 for that setup.

However if you’ve got an upgraded controller, motor, lift, big tires, etc you’re going to need a much higher capacity pack be be able to push the higher amperage that setup would need without tripping the BMS. That pack would cost you significantly more. In which case you may be better off sticking with FLA
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 08:13 PM   #8
klanel
Gone Wild
Club Car

I have a 500 A Alltrax and 23 inch tires if I remember correctly. The cart is mostly used around the house and sometimes we take it to the lake. I do see the benefit of the Lithium batteries but if I need to double the expense from say 1200 to 2500 for batteries, it becomes harder to justify. While if I could keep it below 2k, it becomes more attractive.

I'll have to do something because the batteries I have are about shot. I would never drive far away from the house because last time we used it at home, we had to push it back to the charger. Anyway, I have something to think about.
Old 01-19-2023, 09:04 PM   #9
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Look at the thread about what has happened to Extreme Team and think about that before you go with a "budget brand" company. Not saying that ET was a budget operation-even the good guys fail on occasion.
simicrintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 10:54 PM   #10
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

As much as I love my lithium and would never go FLA again… I think you would probably be better off with a set from Sam’s or Costco.

Running a 500A controller and 23” tires on lithium you’d need to either turn it way down, or buy a large lithium pack which will run at least 2500. And if cost is a concern I’d buy a pack from Sam’s or Costco. Sure Trojans ARE a better quality battery but I personally don’t see the difference from a $800 set at Sam’s vs a $1200 set of Trojans when it comes to FLA. Trojans might last a year or two longer but at 150% the price (to me) just isn’t worth it.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car