lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-13-2022, 03:41 PM   #1
Ricks_club
Gone Wild

Default RPM REV Limiter

I have searched for information on how this Rev Limiter is wired into the system and exactly what RPM the limiter is set to. I can not find the answers using the search feature.

RPM REV Limiter Compatible with 1997+ Club Car DS & Precedent Gas Golf Carts FE290 FE350

It appears that this is the limiter P/N 1019094-01

If anyone has this information, I would like to see it.

Thanks,
Richard
Ricks_club is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-13-2022, 03:49 PM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: RPM REV Limiter

Limiter is bolted to the bottom front center of the motor and grounded there. Other wire coming off goes to the coil kill circuit.

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/show...p?t=926&page=2
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 11:08 PM   #3
Ricks_club
Gone Wild

OK thanks for that, however, i still don't see how it's connected to the engine. The diagram you referenced just shows this:
Rev Limiter PN 1019094-01 wiring.jpg

There is no way to see how this is connected to the engine.

Here is a photo of the part.
Rev Limiter PN 1019094-01.jpg

I see the ring terminal that is mentioned a lot in some of the post, However I don't see how this is wired to the engine.

Richard
Old 09-14-2022, 12:52 AM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

The ring terminal on the brown wire serves as the ground for the module/rev limiter.

It is only connected to the coil via the kill wire for the coil. This wire doesn’t produce any readable signal you’d be able to see with a meter, but if you hooked an oscilloscope to this wire you’d find a waveform, Produced by the voltage created when the magnetic field of the primary winding in the coil when the coil and flywheel pass each other. This waveform will correspond to the firing of the coil (engine rpm).

When this wire is grounded then it shorts the winding, which kills spark, which happens by either the microswitch (straight ground to the circuit) or the rev limiter (will temporarily ground the kill circuit for a few seconds, which the engine “dies” and slows down RPM because it’s technically no longer running (but it is still spinning due to momentum of the cart and the drive belt spinning the engine) then it releases and the coil will continue to fire and the engine will resume running).
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 04:10 PM   #5
Ricks_club
Gone Wild

OK I think I have this figured out, how the rev limiter connects to the coil and the cart wiring harness.

limiter-coil wiring-1.jpg
In this photo, terminal A goes to the igniter (not sure where it would go if there is no igniter)
Terminal B connects to the coil male terminal.
Terminal D goes to the harness wiring that connects to the coil male terminal and the rest of the control system.
Terminal C connects to the control system harness.

Rev Limiter PN 1019094-01-A.jpg
The rev limiter, P/N 101909401, has only two wires coming out of it. The unlabeled ring terminal would be connect to ground as shown it the first photo.
Terminal A is the same terminal as shown in the first photo.
Terminal D connects to part of the system wiring (item #22) in the top photo.

As CP241 pointed out, even though the male terminal on the coil is not intended to be an output, it does have some voltage that can be used by the rev limiter to determine the engine RPM.

Richard
Old 09-21-2022, 10:50 PM   #6
Ricks_club
Gone Wild

OK now that I know how this rev limiter it wired into the system, can some one tell me what the limiter RPM limit is ?

Please, no guesses. The reason I ask is because I would like to use the limiter on my garden tractor engine. The governor on it has broken, and I don't want to send the connecting rod thru the side of the block.

Richard
Old 09-22-2022, 12:22 AM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I don’t think anyone knows for sure 100%. I’d guess somewhere around 3,000 but that’s just an educated guess
Old 09-22-2022, 02:56 AM   #8
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

I agree, most small industrial engines are rated at 3000 rpm which would be perfect for a lawn tractor engine. A small chance it may be higher but only a tachometer will tell you for sure.
Cartmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 11:46 PM   #9
mckittrick.joe
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartmaster View Post
I agree, most small industrial engines are rated at 3000 rpm which would be perfect for a lawn tractor engine. A small chance it may be higher but only a tachometer will tell you for sure.
Club car ds stock rev limiter cuts off at 3900 rpm.

Sent from my LGL423DL using Tapatalk
mckittrick.joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 11:50 PM   #10
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckittrick.joe View Post
Club car ds stock rev limiter cuts off at 3900 rpm.

Sent from my LGL423DL using Tapatalk
Appreciate the info. And no disrespect intended but can you cite your source? I’ve been unable to find this spec published anywhere
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car