lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Bike & ATV Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-14-2020, 09:38 AM   #11
myates
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: **DIY 4x4 Golf Cart: ATV swap**

Nice work! Im doing this exact project with an 04 arctic cat 300! what size tubing did you use? and what would you do differently if you built another one?
myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-14-2020, 09:46 AM   #12
rib33024

Great built
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 11:56 AM   #13
075Limited
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRL View Post
Reading thru your post and note that you are using the txt park brake lock with the hydraulic Arctic Cat brakes. Keep your eyes on the calipers. I tried the same and the park brake both failed to hold for more than a few hours, and it forced fluid from the front Kaw calipers. I'm not familiar with Arctic C park brake, but I'd guess it has a mechanical over hydraulic rear caliper? Suz had drums so they doubled for park brake. I ended up installing a Honda Civic park brake handle on mine. Works well, and easy fab...long as you have a manual brake function. Kaw has a rear wet brake that's excellent. Lucky with that. Kaw does not have a transmission park feature. If Suz/Arctic Cat has a transmission park lock, don't need a park brake.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Thanks for the advice. Yeah I’m using the mechanical parking brake on the hydraulic calipers. I was curious how it was going to work and it’s been working fine but I don’t have it sitting for more than an hour. The arctic cat had an additional mechanical caliper that I should probably think about adding back in the future
075Limited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 12:06 PM   #14
075Limited
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by myates View Post
Nice work! Im doing this exact project with an 04 arctic cat 300! what size tubing did you use? and what would you do differently if you built another one?
Hey awesome!
I can’t remember exactly what size I used...I want to say it was 1” OD I got from Lowe’s. Also I used 3/4” OD structural tube from Lowe’s to lengthen the driveshaft which fit perfectly. No driveline vibration at 40 mph.

Things I would have done differently are: probably start out with an Arctic cat that wasn’t wrecked and bent (oops) as well as anticipating the rear suspension being a bit overloaded. My fix for that was using air shocks and I can send you some more detailed pics/info on that if you want. Expect it to be a bit leany in the corners. I fixed this with limiting straps in the rear. Otherwise the build was really straightforward for as Frankenstein as it is. Let me know if you have any other questions!
Old 01-17-2020, 12:09 PM   #15
075Limited
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRL View Post
All good. Clean, nice looking build.
You have a good bit of room under the seat.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I tried to keep it pretty tidy but I’m not sure if it holds a candle to yours...very impressive
Old 01-20-2020, 07:15 AM   #16
myates
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 075Limited View Post
Hey awesome!
I can’t remember exactly what size I used...I want to say it was 1” OD I got from Lowe’s. Also I used 3/4” OD structural tube from Lowe’s to lengthen the driveshaft which fit perfectly. No driveline vibration at 40 mph.

Things I would have done differently are: probably start out with an Arctic cat that wasn’t wrecked and bent (oops) as well as anticipating the rear suspension being a bit overloaded. My fix for that was using air shocks and I can send you some more detailed pics/info on that if you want. Expect it to be a bit leany in the corners. I fixed this with limiting straps in the rear. Otherwise the build was really straightforward for as Frankenstein as it is. Let me know if you have any other questions!
Sure more detailed pictures would be great! And possibly of the linkage set up for gear selection? I just picked up the AC yesterday so now its just finding a donor EZ-GO people think there worth gold around here for some reason. I have a 2000 unmodified I keep staring at but I don't want to cut into it. just yet.
Old 01-20-2020, 06:15 PM   #17
075Limited
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Sure more detailed pictures would be great! And possibly of the linkage set up for gear selection? I just picked up the AC yesterday so now its just finding a donor EZ-GO people think there worth gold around here for some reason. I have a 2000 unmodified I keep staring at but I don't want to cut into it. just yet.
Alright I’ll try and get more pictures or a video out soon for you. Yeah you just have to be patient and check Facebook Marketplace every day. I ended up getting mine with no batteries and an allegedly bad motor for $200. It did need quite a bit of body work but it was worth it. I still need to rebuild the steering box because there’s a bit of slop. Luckily there are plenty of ezgos out there with bad batteries. You can also sell parts off your donor cart to make somebody money back. I sold all the suspension, wheels, tires, charge controller, etc for about $100
Old 01-22-2020, 06:56 PM   #18
myates
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks! Also what's the actual wheel base at this point?
Old 02-01-2020, 09:47 AM   #19
075Limited
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Thanks! Also what's the actual wheel base at this point?
Its just at 67" from hub to hub which I believe is the same wheelbase as the stock EZGO. I used 28" of extension tube on each side of the frame, but you could use more depending on how much of the stock ATV frame you can fit into the extension tube. For the driveshaft I was able to use the entire 3' section of tube I bought so it was as straight/"balanced" as possible. No noticeable vibrations at 35mph

Keep in mind that you might want to build in some lift for the rear of the cart because I had mine nice and level but then once I set it on the ground and loaded up the cart it developed some squat. Also I noticed that the leading edge of the rear tires on mine come pretty close to the golf cart frame (the areas where I have my battery and gas tank) when its loaded up heavy in the rear. Make sure when you're lining up the rear end to weld it up try and leave some room so you don't have to worry about your tires rubbing the frame...especially if you plan on running larger tires. I have 25" tires in the rear and 24" in the front.
Old 02-08-2020, 10:41 AM   #20
myates
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the info guess what I picked up today
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2020-02-08-08-57-44.jpg (87.9 KB, 0 views)

Tags
300, arctic cat 250, suzuki king quad
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Bike & ATV Engine Swaps