lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-10-2017, 07:47 PM   #1
Happyvt1
Not Yet Wild

Thumbs down 1994 club car Carryall turff 2 engine swap

I have a 1994 carryall turf 2 cart, I have researched and found the motor turns clockwise in these carts.I would like to install a 22 hp engine from harbor freight and think I can turn the rear end around so I can use the ccw rotation engine, i know i will have to fabricate mounts . My question is, does anyone know if these carts have a reverse wound spring on the driven clutch from factory. Plus will it make any difference which way the rear end runs for direction as if i turn it around it will essentially be going forward in reverse.
Happyvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-10-2017, 09:20 PM   #2
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Default Re: 1994 club car Carryall turff 2 engine swap

Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 09:32 PM   #3
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

I've done some homework on the idea of turning the differential around and running it backwards. Yes it will work. Lots of people have done it already. BUT is it a good long lasting idea? If you look at how the power flows through a transmission you'll see reverse works off of a secondary shaft. Our forward reverse gearbox in a cart is already frail, not made for a lot of horse power. If you look at the picture you'll see how the power flows, forward, the input shaft locks into the main shaft and the power flows straight through the transmission. Reverse, locks the input shaft to a counter rotating shaft and the counter shaft goes back into the main shaft at the rear of the transmission. Its a long way to travel considering how forward works.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Forward reverse gearbox.jpg (21.7 KB, 0 views)
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 07:21 AM   #4
Happyvt1
Not Yet Wild

I was thinking about putting a sprocket on the rear end where the driven clutch goes and put a 7/8 cross shaft on the top of the engine mount with 2 pillow block bearings to put the clutch on the left side facing the rear of the cart. this would allow me to size up or down the ratio from the cross shaft to the rear end with a double roller chain maybe like a #50. I thought the same thing you showed me but have not looked at how the inside of the rear was actually built yet. The only thing I think I would have to do is get a driven clutch off a newer cart as the one on there now would be turning backwards from the intended way it was built and i do not believe it will work.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:05 AM   #5
chevydmax6
Gone Wild

Club Car

I think u are over thinking this the stock motor turns CCW right now so all u need to do is put a new motor in there and u will be good to go no need to move the rear end around
chevydmax6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 09:06 AM   #6
chevydmax6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Any club car before 97 is CCW 97and newer is cw
Old 06-11-2017, 09:07 AM   #7
chevydmax6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Post a pic of the rearend and we can tell u what one u got
Old 06-11-2017, 11:27 AM   #8
Happyvt1
Not Yet Wild

Standing
behind the cart the driven clutch is on the right side...If i install a new motor which is ccw looking at the end of the crankshaft ..the clutch will be on the left side of the cart . So if you look the standard industry motors now are ccw rotation like the 420cc at harbor freight. So if I put the engine in the cart with the clutches on the right side like it is it will drive the driven pully backwards.
Old 06-11-2017, 11:47 AM   #9
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevydmax6 View Post
Any club car before 97 is CCW 97and newer is cw
CCW rotation, is CCW rotation. It doesn't matter which side that the clutch is on...
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 01:22 PM   #10
chevydmax6
Gone Wild

Club Car

I have a vanguard in a club cart on the right side and it work the correct way the rear end has to turn CCW to work correctly
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!