lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-10-2017, 08:48 AM   #1
Chrisnwmsu
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Vintage G5 Gas Cart

I am considering purchasing my first cart. My budget was $3000. After looking around I determined I cannot get the cart I thought I could for $3000. Then the thought crossed my mind to buy new $6000 cart, take care of it and it will hold most of its value. but that is a lot of $$$.

Then I came across this 199X G5A. I have not seen it in person but have talked to the owner who retired last year and moved. The new course where he plans to golf is electric only so he is selling this beast.

My question is being this is my first cart what is the value of something like this?

I like to be different from others but so I like the looks of it just not sure it is worth the headache.

I see the parts are hard to come by, like the missing trim and broken fender.

It is 300 miles away from me. Will it fit in the back of a short box Chevy pickup or do I need to find a trailer?

He said it has never left him stranded, he jumped in it last week after sitting all winter and it fired up and he golfed 18 holes last week.

As of right now he is holding it for me until this weekend. If you give me a little idea of the value I will let you know what I have it spoken for. I know location has a lot to do with the value but.... I just don't want to get beat up on the price.

When I go look at it there anything I should watch out for?

Thank You!
Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5625.jpg (6.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5627.jpg (183.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5637.jpg (181.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5640.jpg (189.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5636.jpg (191.3 KB, 0 views)
Chrisnwmsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-10-2017, 08:50 AM   #2
Chrisnwmsu
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Vintage G5 Gas Cart

more pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5630.JPG (42.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5634.jpg (186.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5635.jpg (194.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5628.jpg (183.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5639.jpg (188.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-10-2017, 12:30 PM   #3
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

What's he asking for it? I wouldn't pay more than 1500 and that even might be to high you're definitely right parts for them are getting harder to find
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 02:13 PM   #4
Chrisnwmsu
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

He is asking $1750. We settled at $1400. I just wish the front was buggered up but it is 25yrs old. I have it spoken for as long as it runs and drives when I get there. He did say I can back out of the deal.
Old 04-10-2017, 02:18 PM   #5
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Man, that is a gorgeous cart. A head turner for sure. Clean too. It really does come down to what the dude wants for it. Note that a lot of the peripheral type items; seats, windshield, lights, etc. often cost more than anything mechanical and that stuff all looks cherry on those pics.

Your certainly right on with parts. I just did some searches with some of my favorite part suppliers and, for whatever reason, parts for those G5s barely exist. Heck, I can't even find crank seals for that and those should be a very common repair item. Not to say you can't make something else work, though. Heck, I once fashioned a an old rotary tractor trailer switch into a accelerator speed controller for a 60's era Pargo restoration. It can be done just be ready to work for it. Like "figure out how to put a whole new engine in there when something goes bad" work for it. Use that as a negotiation point.

Do yourself a favor and call the guys from "vintagegolfcartparts.com" and ask them about that cart and parts availability. They'll give you some additional insight.

$1500 would be my number as well. Maybe just a tad higher if the thing runs well and is as clean as it looks.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 02:19 PM   #6
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Sorry, we posted at the same time. For $1400 I would take a chance on it.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 02:24 PM   #7
Chrisnwmsu
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thank you for the info. I like looking different. Anyone can drive a cream colored Club Car. Not anyone can drive an old Yamaha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochlin View Post
Man, that is a gorgeous cart. A head turner for sure. Clean too. It really does come down to what the dude wants for it. Note that a lot of the peripheral type items; seats, windshield, lights, etc. often cost more than anything mechanical and that stuff all looks cherry on those pics.

Your certainly right on with parts. I just did some searches with some of my favorite part suppliers and, for whatever reason, parts for those G5s barely exist. Heck, I can't even find crank seals for that and those should be a very common repair item. Not to say you can't make something else work, though. Heck, I once fashioned a an old rotary tractor trailer switch into a accelerator speed controller for a 60's era Pargo restoration. It can be done just be ready to work for it. Like "figure out how to put a whole new engine in there when something goes bad" work for it. Use that as a negotiation point.

Do yourself a favor and call the guys from "vintagegolfcartparts.com" and ask them about that cart and parts availability. They'll give you some additional insight.

$1500 would be my number as well. Maybe just a tad higher if the thing runs well and is as clean as it looks.
Old 04-10-2017, 02:48 PM   #8
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

The engine & trans is all common G2/9 stuff, that's the easy part. Stuff like turn signal parts, lenses, anything unique to the model (like body parts) will be Not available or big $$. Make sure the turn signals work, can't buy that signal head anymore.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 03:03 PM   #9
ironmonkey17
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

looks good, you can fix the body with fiberglass, looks like the same material the G8 is made of, matching the color will be hard part..
ironmonkey17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 03:07 PM   #10
Chrisnwmsu
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I just got off the phone with Vintage Golf Cart Parts. I asked about parts and he said don't call me because I cannot find anything for that cart. That has me concerned. I don't want something common to break and not be able to fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochlin View Post

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha