lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Sled Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-15-2015, 06:34 PM   #1
Shovelwrench
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default Spirit 5000 swap, gearing and top speed

SOOOOOO,
This all started with an extra G1 chassis I had after buying two carts to make one.

THEN scored a Arctic Cat with a Spirit 5000 in it for 100$!!!!!!

So with the stock rear and driven pulley in the G1 this thing would do 50mph, mind you, it would get there like AC Cobra fast, but that's all it had wound out...

In the last month or so, I changed the gearing from the stock G1 rear to a jackshaft and sprocket rear, still running the G1 driven pulley and a 4:1 sprocket ratio on a 19.5" tall tire...

I don't have the front brakes installed YET (this weekends project I hope). But just running the RPMs up until the belt is what looks like 1:1 is 4000rpm.

Doing the math with the tire and ratio I have this is right around 60mph @ 4000rpm????

These motors were supposed to do 7500rpm+, which would put me at 108mph JUST WITH THE BELT @ 1:1!!!!!!!!

Not even accounting for over drive in high gear?????!!!!!

Does that even sound reasonable??
Shovelwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-16-2015, 05:55 PM   #2
opsled
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Spirit 5000 swap, gearing and top speed

Suzuki engine. There was more than one version that was called a 5000. Free air or fan cooled. Twin/single carbed, etc, etc.

None of them will push a golf cart to the 100mph mark. Wind drag will stop that from happening.

All versions were decent engines for their day but are old school now. Parts are getting harder to get.

The 500cc free air twin carbed version was rated at around 56hp back in the day (late70's early 80's). We could run away from them (easily) with a 440 fan cooled, single carbed Yamaha rated at 48hp of the same era.

Wouldn't be an option I would use.

opsled
opsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 09:20 AM   #3
Shovelwrench
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

For 100$, low mile motor, it seems like a great option to me 😆

We'll see about the top end once I get the brakes on.

Had to order a Carbide boring bar to cut the old spindle from the knuckle. Got the new spindles made, the old ones are really work/weld hardened at the base.

An extra inch of spindle pretty much gives me the room to do whatever I want as far as front brakes are concerned....
Old 09-24-2015, 07:48 PM   #4
Skoal82
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Sounds like a fun project.
Does it have much low end?
Skoal82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 07:56 PM   #5
Shovelwrench
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Wellllll,
Baby decided to come on Sunday so it'll be another week or two till I get the brakes on.

BUT, I'm pretty sure when it was 8:1 ratio it jumped to high gear immediately.....

I'm hoping that means it will have an appropriate low end now. As it SHOULD stay in lower range on the clutch, with the 40 plus horse it has now it very well might still be nearly as quick as it was with more top end...

I Hope, LOL
Old 09-25-2015, 02:15 PM   #6
Skoal82
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Congratulations on the new baby!
I hope baby and mom are both healthy.

My kids are the reason I got into carts.
Skoal82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 08:38 PM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Yamaha was at the top of the game back in the late 70s 80s, they ran well. Anyway be careful going fast in a cart they are not that good at it especially without suspension upgrades.

Most carts the rear is around 13:1 ratio, the cvt will go up to 0.9 overdrive so that gives around 11:1 total ratio in 'high' gear with the stock setup, plus the tire size of course. HS gears are usually 8:1 and sometimes you can find 6:1, for the trans, the cvt ratio stays the same.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 07:42 PM   #8
Shovelwrench
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Thanks Skoal82

And thank you sho305 for the gearing info!!

So I got the brakes on, cut new front spindles from 4041 25mm rod so they would accept the old hubs...

Milled the old spindles out of the knuckle, pressed the new ones in and welded them...

The old cables could stand to be a little longer but will work for now.

Made another mount for the rear caliper cable to attach to the existing pedal.

MOUNTED EVERYTHING!!!!!

SOOOOOO,
I'm babying it a little to see how things go. 50mph is NO PROBLEM. GREAT bottom end, doughnuts are easy LOL....

I have a bent wheel, which is giving me a bad shimmy so I need to get a new one (someone almost rolled it before the gearing change, had it on two wheels and dropped it pretty hard, the wheels were straight before that)

Anyway, I'll get back to it after I run it some more at 50 or so and check over everything before I "see what she'll do"....

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-04-2015, 07:32 PM   #9
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

You got brakes, that is a nice setup. Not disks but they should work pretty well if in good order. I remember driving a car with drums all around, they worked well but would lock up easier than disks.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 02:50 PM   #10
bryguy39
Gone Wild

Shovelwrench, you have a PM! Very nice work!
bryguy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Sled Engine Swaps