lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-25-2015, 10:42 AM   #1
BigLar368
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default G22A Clone Swap

I have a 2006 G22A. It's a completely stock cart with the exception of an aftermarket clutch and new belt. I believe it's a comet. I just bought it to replace the stock one that crapped out. Only other thing I have done was bypass the gov. with the throttle cable straight to the carb. With the stock tires I can get it to 30 MPH pretty quickly usually within a city block. With me, wife, and grandbaby it cruises 28 no prob. It also lugs my 3600 pound car back to the pits without much effort. Been thinking of doing VC clone swap but really don't want to go this route if it's only going to net me a few more MPH. I am pretty sure my cart has stock gears but at 30 MPH the motor does not sound like it's at any extreme, high RPM. I have never verified with a tach to see what its actually at. Just curious if I install a lift and bigger tires what can I expect for a good cruising speed without killing the engine with RPM. I know this is a broad question but I guess I am just asking what others have gained as far as speed with the VC swap in a cart similar to mine. Thanks.
BigLar368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-25-2015, 01:10 PM   #2
AaronW
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: G22A Clone Swap

The G22 as far as I'm concerned is uncharted territories. We are about to release the complete conversion kit for this particular model but we still need to put it on the dyno and get some numbers. As far as torque and speed goes the 460 gets up to 41-43 MPH on stock tire on a stock Yamaha G16. 21HP to the Tire, 31 lbs of torque. We haven't yet tested the G22-G29 but we are anticipating it to compete the the earlier G16. Typically as you know, people are either bored with the power they currently have in their cart or the motor blows. How else can you justify a motor swap?
AaronW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 02:47 PM   #3
BigLar368
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

SO you are saying there is not a specific kit yet for the G22? Just trying to understand. Thanks.
Old 05-25-2015, 04:56 PM   #4
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Typically you gain 8-10mph for going to 22-24 tires or installing HS gears. So at 28 now you would be around 38, however your engine would be working harder so a stock engine may have difficulty getting there. A stock 420 clone will run around 2-3mph more than stock engine, though that is with car muffler and air box then jetted but otherwise stock. If you have a rev kit in a clone you can figure about 6-7mph more, I ran 38 so far with my clone on 22s in a yamaha G9. It has timing key/cut head/ported/1.3 ratio rockers, HD springs, header into car muffler, and car airbox. Of course that is max speed not comfortable speed. It ran 31(on dirt road) gps on stock clone, 28-30 (dirt/pavement) on stock engine but took a long time to get there, and now clone has run 38 on pavement with those mods. All had no governor on them.

Look on the Vegas carts site to see what kits he has.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 07:46 PM   #5
BigLar368
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Yeah I had planned on a lift and some tires and a back seat so the I know the stock engine will probably not cut it. I don't do any off roading. Its all street driving and I like getting from point A to B at a good pace. 35 to 40 at a reasonable rpm would be nice.
Old 05-26-2015, 04:36 PM   #6
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I ran for many years on stock engine and 22s with no problems, but it had a hard time with hills. On the flats it was not quick but ran pretty good really, it was good up to 20-25 then took a while to get to 28-30. If you put a umax spring in the secondary it runs much better lifted. But if you have to climb a hill it slows right down. 35-40 is moving on a cart, you might get 35 with say 24-25 tires if you can fit them, on the flats, that is about the limit with stock power usually. A clone would pull a lot better. I put a clone in because it was cheaper than a rebuild and I like to mess with things, have a welder, etc. Its been a lot of fun, cart is great to run now too, still messing with it lol. But 38gps is really fast on it the bugs hurt when they hit you, it does not feel like the safest thing either though I have it pretty stable now. It really needs improvements to run that fast like a cage and windshield and suspension improvements. I only go that fast on the road for short spurts and testing. The trails here you can't go that fast on a cart you would fly off.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:20 PM   #7
BigLar368
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Our roads are pretty smooth. 30 mph in my cart feels very stable and that's with the crappy stock tires. In fact they are probably the original tires. When I got the cart it had a number on the back as though it came from a golf course. I plan on a windshield and disc brakes as parts if the upgrades.
Old 05-30-2015, 10:55 AM   #8
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

If you hit 30 on stock 18 tires with the stock engine you have much more gearing than me. I'd say my cart stock with no governor would do 20-24 or something it was a long time ago. My stock engine would run about 5K rpm topped out, and sounded like an angry (but quiet) sewing machine. But I ran it that way for ~12 years no problems. 20+ years on the stock engine is not bad IMO.
Old 06-01-2015, 06:11 PM   #9
BigLar368
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

It runs good but any headwind, elevation rise, or anything small slows its down. I know it will only be worse when I lift it with bigger tires. I will probably do the engine swap when they get a kit for a G22.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:10 PM   #10
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Also most carts make max power at 3600 or so like a lawn engine. So when it revs high you lost power already.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps