lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-01-2015, 05:05 PM   #1
mitchelperkins
Not Yet Wild
Pargo

Default Clone Engine Swap on Pargo Golf Cart

Hello everyone,

I took a bit of a break, but im finally back onto my project of almost 1 year at this point: Take an old golf cart that was literally buried in mud, and bring it back to running condition. It didn't take me long to realize that I would either have to scrap it, or convert it to a gas cart, which is what I have decided to do.

I originally purchased a Predator 670 for the conversion, but sizing issues as well as no need for the power convinced me to return it.

In it's current state, it has excellent steering, and a fully functional 1991 G9 Gas rear end on it.

What I still need help on to do:
  • Mounting the F/R Lever
  • Mounting the engine
  • Adding brake cables

I managed to find a F/R lever for a G9(took forever!) and have it on the cart, but I realize the actual G9's have a metal bar that the lever mounts to, so I'm not sure how I am going to fab that yet, but a minor problem.

My initial plan was to mount the engine where the batteries were, but there is a substantial(about 3 or so inches?) height difference between the secondary clutch and the battery trays. Is that an issue? I could weld in a tray if necessary.

And finally the brakes. I cannot even get the drums onto the cart because the brakes are too tight, and I can't, for the life of me, figure out how to adjust them. If anyone has any idea on how to do that on a G9, I'd greatly appreciate it. Also if anyone has a set of G9 brake cables and possible the pedal assembly itself I would be interested in buying them, as I do not know how I am going to rig it up yet.

The engine-clutch combo I was going to use was the 13HP Predator 420 and a Comet 780. I do live in a neighborhood and realize that the engine will probably be noisier than a traditional gas cart, so if anyone knows how to quiet down one of these, it would be enormously helpful!

I am very new to the golf cart world so I'm sorry if I made any mistakes, please be sure to correct me if so! Thank you!
mitchelperkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-07-2015, 02:33 PM   #2
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: Clone Engine Swap on Pargo Golf Cart

Lot of stuff at Vegas carts for clone swaps. If you run without a governor I'd put HD springs and timing key in for safety, and they are cheap. I bought a custom made header from robertson torque tubes with a coupling in it that rotates, that way I could put the muffler on the frame not the cradle. It was 60, the quietflow car muffler was 30 off amazon, couple of hangars at autozone were cheap. Its quiet at low throttle and around garden tractor loud at WOT. It would be quieter with a tailpipe I don't have on it. Read the threads in here on mufflers and exhausts lots of info.

I have adjusted my brakes but forget lol. Usually an adjuster between the shoes. Sometimes you adjust the cable(s). Mine the lever was tight and had to be cleaned and freed up that worked much nicer.

Gas cart the engine is above the secondary, but its the distance center to center you go by or use different size belt. It does not matter how high the engine is, but height will change how far away for same belt size.

G9 has a shifter with arms for both cables. It tightens the cables against each other in neutral as they are offset, then it makes it stay in gear and not wander off into neutral. Though with no shifter I'd be making a cool one from a car shifter, hurst handle maybe. If you dig around you can find threads on making shifters like cars have.

Also note if you go clone single, they don't have a good alternator only on a few on them and they cost more to get the 18a charging. The normal one is 3A. If you use the stock starter/gen it will do charging for you. Some put car alternators on.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps