lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center
Design Center Shop tools, fabrication and Paint and Body

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-23-2007, 11:18 PM   #1
champy
Not Yet Wild

Default ITP Delta Steel Rims

Hey everyone,
Since I seem to manage to do/learn things the hard way, I thought I'd post a little breakthrough I had today.

I'm in the midst of a rather daunting project to make a "Gorf Calt" as my wife calls it. Since ATV's are legal on some streets of the town where I live (in which town I am also employed, the office being a mere 1.8 miles from my home), I'm attempting to make an electric. . . thingy that will get me to work and back at 25MPH+ without having to pay for gas anymore. Needless to say, this forum and its members have been invaluable. I was given some 25" ATV tires but no rims, so I set off to find some rims that would fit them as well as the lugnuts on the axle I've obtained for my project. I came up with the ITP Delta Series Steel Rim.

This rim is 12" in Diameter
7" Wide
4-4 Bolt Pattern
Made by ITP
Part number 37-1338

It's also pretty inexpensive. I paid $48.00 total to have one shipped to my local ATV dealer. Not bad. A store in my area already had *one* on hand that someone had ordered and never picked up. I got that one for $30.00. I'm currently waiting for the second Rim to arrive, so my axle is sitting a mite lop-sided at the moment, but I thought I'd post a pic anyway. The Golf Cart body (ClubCar) is just sitting on top of the transaxle (Yamaha). My next challenge is to figure out a way to connect the two. Luckily, I have access to a mig welder. Anyway, as you can probably tell, a prime directive in this operation is NOT to spend money. With that in mind, I'd love to hear any advice that anyone has. Thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gorf Calt.jpg (69.4 KB, 88 views)

Last edited by champy; 06-23-2007 at 11:20 PM..
champy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-24-2007, 05:32 PM   #2
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Default Re: ITP Delta Steel Rims

The only advice I can give is, post more pics!!!! Your project looks good!!

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 11:49 AM   #3
wheelchairman
The Prodigal Son

same wheels I have

I bought mine off highlifter.com 's online forum. Took a while because polaris only used the 4/4 pattern on the rear of some of their quads. 2 of my wheels were black then i had to paint my 2 silver wheels black. Just scuff real good with a scotch brite pad and they keep the new color really good

Heavier than alum wheels but much stronger
wheelchairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 11:00 PM   #4
champy
Not Yet Wild

Wheelchairman,
After a less-than-exhaustive (read: quick) search of the forums I've failed to find out what your cart is. I'm curious to know how it runs with those larger tires. Have you done any modifications besides a lift-kit (if that)? I.E. have you replaced the stock motor with a higher-torque model, etc? Right now I'm looking at running these things with a 48v 3.1HP 2800RPM ClubCar Motor, and I'm hoping it will perform alright, hence my curiosity. I've got an inquiry in to EMP just in case, but I'm drastically modifying the body in hopes of reducing some weight. So, like I say, I'm hoping my current motor will suffice but I imagine you'd know a bit more about that than I would. Thanks for your reply!
Old 06-27-2007, 08:15 PM   #5
CUTiger
Gone Wild

Remember not all carts are electric WCM has a Yamaha Rhino which has a gas engine. A good many carts also run on gas.

How do you plan on getting a stock 48 volt motor going 25+? I can tell you with those tires and a motor spinning only 2800 you will only go 17 mph. The motor will have to spin at least 4300 rpm in order to go 25 mph. If your area has any hills switching to a controller instead of the resistor might be a good idea. There are a lot of options as far as motors go for your cart that are wound for high speed, high torque, or for both.

EDIT: A few motor options

GE D377 ~$350
GE Model #5BC58JBS6334
48v 4.7HP 4200rpm
This will get you 25 mph and will work with the resistors

GE D392
GE Model #5BC48JB3080
Will handle up to 92 VOLTS just in case your crazy like Nate and Andy and like seeing how many batteries you can cram into on of these things.
Will get you around 30 mph however it requires you to upgrade to at least a 400 amp controller and use 4 gauge wires or (#4 welding cable).

Some key "terms" to remember. The faster the motor will spin the fast you will go. The more volts you get to the motor the faster it spins. The more amps the motor has available the more torque it has. Motors can be wound to get these properties also.

PS: My speeds are approximate and were derived from simple math.

Last edited by CUTiger; 06-27-2007 at 08:26 PM..
CUTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 09:09 PM   #6
wheelchairman
The Prodigal Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by champy View Post
Wheelchairman,
After a less-than-exhaustive (read: quick) search of the forums I've failed to find out what your cart is. I'm curious to know how it runs with those larger tires. Have you done any modifications besides a lift-kit (if that)? I.E. have you replaced the stock motor with a higher-torque model, etc? Right now I'm looking at running these things with a 48v 3.1HP 2800RPM ClubCar Motor, and I'm hoping it will perform alright, hence my curiosity. I've got an inquiry in to EMP just in case, but I'm drastically modifying the body in hopes of reducing some weight. So, like I say, I'm hoping my current motor will suffice but I imagine you'd know a bit more about that than I would. Thanks for your reply!

My "cart" is a yamaha pro hauler 1000. It has a 357cc gas engine and I have added a clutch kit to the factory torque gears (15:1)

I THINK you should be OK with your cart because electric carts tend to have better torque anyway. Also you are running 25" tires as opposed to my 26" and yours are alot less agreesive (less weight/drag)

The weight is a good idea but I really dont think it will matter. When you are dealing with vehichles like this that weigh so little anyway the only weight that makes a differance is in the drivetrain. For example... I added a cage and racing seats to my yamaha. Estimated weight added around 200 pounds. I can still clikb all the same things because body weight doesnt drag ya down much. Bout the only thing to help ya would be wind resistance.
wheelchairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 09:11 AM   #7
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Keith, you forgot to mention it won the cart pull and with a really dirty air filter too.
spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 06:00 PM   #8
CUTiger
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelchairman View Post
My "cart" is a yamaha pro hauler 1000. It has a 357cc gas engine and I have added a clutch kit to the factory torque gears (15:1)
At least I got the yamaha part right...I remembered it was a prohauler when I got home from work today.
CUTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 07:58 AM   #9
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Any more updates on this project yet. I'm looking forward to more pic's. I think it will look really good with the larger wheels and tires on the back: like a little hotrod.
spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 10:04 AM   #10
champy
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the info everyone. (Apologies wheelchairman, I've been so obsessed with this project of late, that I often forget some people also use gas). I appreciate the math on my behalf CUtiger. I'm not going to be using the solenoids/resistors that you see in the picture to control my speed. I'm in the middle of making my own PWM controller (a rather simple, MOSFET-based design utilizing 556 timers) and I'll be adding a 72-volt "boost" mode for my cart that *should* put it around 25mph. As for more pics: Should be something worth photographing soon. I'm due to spend some time with the mig welder today. Thanks all!

Last edited by champy; 06-30-2007 at 10:17 AM..
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center