lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-17-2022, 10:36 PM   #1
Farmerjim55
Not Yet Wild

Default Club Car motor flood rescue

Hey guys. Need advice. Our old Club Car buggy went under in a recent flood event and I’m trying to bring it back to life. The motor had seized and we could therefore not push the cart forward or backwards as the rear wheels refused to spin in the same direction. So we had to lift the back and drag it into the workshop.

I managed to remove the motor and I have managed to crack it open. It looks really bad but I’m hoping it is saveable. The problem is that it looks totally different to what I’ve seen on Yoitube and also the service manual I have downloaded. The motors I’ve seen been taken apart have slots for the posts going to the brushes but mine doesn’t have these. The posts are bolted straight through the motor chassis. I’ve managed to open a small gap between the motor and the back plate but I haven’t been brave enough to push it out further as I don’t want to to damage the brush assembly.

Can someone please tell me what’s inside and how I can safely get the rotor out?

Added: I’m not looking for advice on whether or not to undertake this job. I’m looking for anyone that may have a link to a video or workshop manual dealing with this particular motor, or sone one that has actually undertaken a rebuild of this particular motor. Thanks.
Farmerjim55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 10:59 PM   #2
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Club Car motor flood rescue

I think the best thing to do with that motor is put it in a black plastic bag and put it by the road. Just being honest.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 12:18 AM   #3
Farmerjim55
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterM6 View Post
I think the best thing to do with that motor is put it in a black plastic bag and put it by the road. Just being honest.
Not particularly helpful and doesn’t address my question in any way. Thanks tjo
Old 11-18-2022, 12:23 AM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmerjim55 View Post
Not particularly helpful and doesn’t address my question in any way. Thanks tjo
Unfortunately for you he’s 100% right.

Good luck
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 11:05 PM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Yeah that motor is trash. I wouldn’t even bother trying to do anything with it.

Looks like it was submerged for a while. You’re going to have a LOT of work to do… brakes, wheel bearings in the front and rear and differential bearings are probably trash as well so plan on taking the rear axle apart and replacing all those. Controller, FNR, and wiring harness and pretty much anything else electronic are also likely well beyond the point of salvage.

I’d start fresh. Get ahold of David hicks at revolution golf cars. Get an IQ conversion kit with the MCOR. New alltrax controller and a new motor and you should be set. He can get you all the hub bearings and other bearings as well, since he is a club car dealer.

I’d HIGHLY recommend replacing literally everything and rebuilding the entire cart if you plan to keep it. Otherwise you’re gonna keep chasing gremlins until the end of time, or until you eventually replace everything anyway
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 07:57 AM   #6
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Club Car motor flood rescue

That motor is probably done. And the brake hubs are probably locked up too. It’s usually not just the motor.

The reason you can’t get the backplate off is probably because the armature is rusted to the field coils on the inside of the motor case. If that’s the case it’s very unlikely to be salvageable, but you could try tapping on the splined end to see if it will come out. The other option is to force the backplate off. The small ring that holds the bearing in the cast end cap will break but it isn’t that important. Be aware of the internal cables from the brushes going to the A1/A2 studs. They aren’t that long.
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 08:23 AM   #7
Farmerjim55
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeL View Post
That motor is probably done. And the brake hubs are probably locked up too. It’s usually not just the motor.

The reason you can’t get the backplate off is probably because the armature is rusted to the field coils on the inside of the motor case. If that’s the case it’s very unlikely to be salvageable, but you could try tapping on the splined end to see if it will come out. The other option is to force the backplate off. The small ring that holds the bearing in the cast end cap will break but it isn’t that important. Be aware of the internal cables from the brushes going to the A1/A2 studs. They aren’t that long.
Thank you so much. How refreshing to get an actual useful response. I’m aware of the short length of the internal cables going to the brush assembly and this is the reason I haven’t forced the backplate off. I’m going to try to undo the posts connected to the brush assembly and then keep tapping on the rotor towards the end hoping that I can push the backplate out fully. The rotor is already moving inside the stator.

Great point re the brakes but I disassembled them a while ago, thinking they were causing the locked wheels. But they weren’t. It was the rotor being stuck inside the stator due to silt and crap building up and bridging the gap between stator and rotor. As soon as I removed the motor from the transaxle housing the wheels were spinning freely again.
Old 11-18-2022, 08:52 AM   #8
rowlands57
Gone Wild
Club Car

When posting on public forums you'll get all kinds of feedback. Take the good, ignore what you want to; and keep the commentary to yourself. The folks that replied to you have helped countless others, if you don't like what they have to say move on to the next reply.
rowlands57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 09:55 AM   #9
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

If the motor wouldn't turn, you are going to find a mess around the brushes. It may be fixable but you will need new brush holders and a new bearing and a whole lot of cleaning. I don't know how to get that particular motor apart. I have only rebuilt Hitachi motors from Yamaha carts and they have two small bolts on the end holding things in place.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 03:55 PM   #10
Farmerjim55
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
If the motor wouldn't turn, you are going to find a mess around the brushes. It may be fixable but you will need new brush holders and a new bearing and a whole lot of cleaning. I don't know how to get that particular motor apart. I have only rebuilt Hitachi motors from Yamaha carts and they have two small bolts on the end holding things in place.
Thanks. I’m of course prepared to replace the brush assembly and bearing if necessary. If I just can get into it…
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car