lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-07-2021, 04:45 PM   #1
drball
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Spining Noise, now irregular speed and pedal response

Greetings:

I inherited a 2003 Club Car Pathway serial # is NQ0399. Motor has been replaced with a D&D with a "top hat sensor."

After spending most of the day cruising these pages I am not finding exactly this problem. While operating normally a fast spinning noise came from the rear of the cart. After that, the cart is sometimes unresponsive to the go pedal until you hit it two or three times. Other times it takes off normally then slows to a crawl. Nearly new batteries.

Do I have a speed sensor or magnet problem?

I know one of you have had this problem before me.
drball is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-07-2021, 05:01 PM   #2
movin-on
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Spining Noise, now irregular speed and pedal response

Start with a speed sensor test...

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=68248
movin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 09:18 PM   #3
drball
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the speedy reply.

I just went out and did the test or my version of it. I drove up a very slight hill and let off the pedal. The cart started rolling in the opposite direction with no sign of slowing and no beeps. I turned the cart around and repeated the process backwards with the same outcome. I did not engage the brake either time. The cart had come to a complete stop prior to rolling freely. Being unsure if the break pedal matters, I did it again with the break. I did get some beeps but no meaningful slowing. So, it looks like I need a speed sensor. Does the fact that it is an after market motor (D&D) make any difference?
Old 05-07-2021, 11:23 PM   #4
R&TBabich
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by drball View Post
.... So, it looks like I need a speed sensor. Does the fact that it is an after market motor (D&D) make any difference?
I don't think the aftermarket motor makes a difference.
The speed sensor may be bad, but the problem could be the magnet is cracked.
I think this was posted awhile ago, I copied it to my DS Info folder.

Speed Sensor test
With a DVM, place the black (–) probe on the battery main pack Negative post and place the red (+) probe on the green wire between the 3-pin connector and the motor speed sensor. Raise "only" one rear wheel off ground. Slowly turn the rear wheel to rotate the motor armature. As the armature rotates, the voltage reading should alternate from 0vdc to approximately 4.85vdc. The voltage reading will fluctuate from zero to 4.85vdc and back to zero four times for each revolution of the motor armature. (The voltage reading of 4.85vdc is an approximate reading; the actual reading may vary from 4.50vdc to 5.00vdc). Replace the speed sensor if there is no voltage reading, voltage reading is not above 3.50vdc, or the voltage reading does not fluctuate as the motor is turned. (You can check the signals from the controller by placing the Red probe (+) on MPP post and place the Black (–) probe on the black/white wire in the 3-pin connector. The voltage should be 48 volts or pack voltage. Now place the Black (–) probe on the MPN post and place Red (+) probe on red wire in the 3-pin connector. The voltage reading should be approximately ~15-16 volts. If <14vdc it is a controller issue.)

I think there is a test for the magnet on the forum.
Either of these could explain the slowing to a crawl.

You may have a 2nd problem, the erratic Foot Pedal response may be a worn out switch in the MCOR.
There is a simple ON/OFF switch in the MCOR that may be worn out and needs repeated tries to get it to work.
The controller will not latch the solenoid until it sees that switch input.
When you have to hit the pedal a couple of times to get it to go can you hear the solenoid latching?

The rear fast spinning noise may be a 3rd problem, but I don't have any ideas on it.
R&TBabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 04:50 PM   #5
drball
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Greetings! After a world pandemic, after 4 deaths of family members and a divorce of a offspring fixing the Club Car finally rose to the top of the do list. IT IS FIXED!

Thank you all for your input. Could not have done it without you. I hypothesized that I needed a speed magnet and/or a speed sensor. I noticed my "top hat sensor" had different ear tabs so I reached out to David Hicks - Owner - Revolution Golf Cars 706-431-3917 -www.RevolutionGolfCars.com He told be via text I needed a D&D sensor and magnet. Installed said parts today and we are rolling back up to warp speed. The magnet had crumbled fragmented. The inside of the speed sensor was scored up.
Thanks again!

Tags
2003 club car, d&d motor, speed sensor
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car