lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-28-2016, 06:28 PM   #1
drewriddick
Not Yet Wild

Default 98 Clucbcar DS Gas starter replaced still not running

I have a 98 DS with FE290, have been hearing squealing when starting sometimes it would take a while before starter would turn over then car would run good till stopped then same thing again. Changed belts still made some squealing sounds. Today was riding heard a squeal while it was riding, some hesitation, then a burn smell like electrical, stayed on the gas until I got home. Stopped car, then try to go again and nothing happened no click no nothing. Switch to reverse nothing. I think starter/generator may have died. Tried jumper cable to starter no turnover. Now I have replaced the starter, I get a click but starter doesn't turnover. I'm new to golf carts and I'm not sure what's going on. Maybe solenoid? Some other electrical? Any help would be appreciated thanks.
drewriddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-29-2016, 11:53 AM   #2
DRAGSHOVEL
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 98 Clucbcar DS Gas starter replaced still not running

There is 4 rubber inspection plugs on the starter.Pull one off and inspect the brushes. If they are popped up still I would say they are good.If you had a burnt smell I would look at the solenoid first.
DRAGSHOVEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 01:04 PM   #3
drewriddick
Not Yet Wild

I have replaced starter and solenoid both new, still only getting the click in the solenoid. What about volt regulator? What else could be a problem?
Old 03-29-2016, 01:07 PM   #4
ericandrews331@msn.com
Gone Wild

Try jumping across the 2 large terminals of the solenoid let me know what happens
ericandrews331@msn.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 01:30 PM   #5
drewriddick
Not Yet Wild

What do you mean by jumping across two terminals. Sorry
Old 03-29-2016, 01:38 PM   #6
drewriddick
Not Yet Wild

Ok i touched both terminals with a screwdriver and nothing different happened. Just solenoid clicking. I'm guessing I did that right
Old 03-29-2016, 05:10 PM   #7
ericandrews331@msn.com
Gone Wild

Battery would be my guess can you jump the battery that's in the cart off a car or truck?

One other thing worth trying is a single jumper cable from the positive terminal of your battery to the terminal with the white wire on the starter generator, just touch it the starter should turn over

We need to get the starter to turn over then we can go backwards and figure where the problem is

Okay just re read your original post so it ran then you smelled burnt electric? Time for a rewire I would think try the above things and we will go from there
Old 03-29-2016, 05:53 PM   #8
drewriddick
Not Yet Wild

I've tried jump start on starter with two different batteries, I get spark but starter doesn't do anything. I've replaced starter and solenoid and it doesn't do any different than it did when it stopped working. When it went bad I was riding and the belt squeled, some hesitation then a electrical like burn smell, I didn't let off gas until I got home. Then I tried to start again and just a click. I've hadn't seen any wires that look burnt up, but I'm not exactly a mechanic either.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:04 PM   #9
ericandrews331@msn.com
Gone Wild

we need to figure out if the starter will still turn over, a single jumper cable from the positive terminal to the white wire on top the starter it should turn over(starter), if it doesnt the starter must have failed based on the belt squeal you heard
Old 03-29-2016, 07:15 PM   #10
drewriddick
Not Yet Wild

It's a new starter never been turned over straight out the box. I tried the cable trick but nothing but a few sparks. There's 2 white wires. One fat white wire that hooks to the frame and one smaller that looks to run back to the electrical box. I tried the smaller one on top just slight sparks. Starter hasn't done anything since I hooked it up. I don't think power is making it to the starter. Does the voltage regulator control the power going to the starter?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car