lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-27-2020, 08:58 PM   #1
Tikibuilt
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Precedent Upgrade

Ok, so I've read allot of posts about controllers motors etc. For upgrading performance of a 48v Precedent.
I am a bit confused as many say simply upgrade your controller for torque or speed or both but I also read about the high speed motors that can help torque and speed. Geesh...

So I have a 2014 practically new , 2 yrs since the complete customization, club car. Lift with 23" tires, stock motor and controller and Duracell batteries. I've posted separately about some light surging when cruising and have resolved that with the throttle cycling with the key off to reset the mcor.

Moving on;
My application is mainly a campground that has light terrain but also has off-road trails. We sometimes have issues climbing steeper hills and the battery runtime is a little low I think.
So thinking of upgrading controller but have looked at the plumb quick motor upgrade.
Any thoughts on the best option for helping my battery consumption and still getting up moderate hillls when at less than full charge?

Thanks
Tikibuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-25-2022, 12:50 AM   #2
Acausing
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Precedent Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibuilt View Post
Ok, so I've read allot of posts about controllers motors etc. For upgrading performance of a 48v Precedent.
I am a bit confused as many say simply upgrade your controller for torque or speed or both but I also read about the high speed motors that can help torque and speed. Geesh...

So I have a 2014 practically new , 2 yrs since the complete customization, club car. Lift with 23" tires, stock motor and controller and Duracell batteries. I've posted separately about some light surging when cruising and have resolved that with the throttle cycling with the key off to reset the mcor.

Moving on;
My application is mainly a campground that has light terrain but also has off-road trails. We sometimes have issues climbing steeper hills and the battery runtime is a little low I think.
So thinking of upgrading controller but have looked at the plumb quick motor upgrade.
Any thoughts on the best option for helping my battery consumption and still getting up moderate hillls when at less than full charge?

Thanks

I’m in the same boat as you. Looking for some speed and torque increase. I sent an email to plum quick as they seem to be having a sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Acausing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 01:27 AM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acausing View Post
I’m in the same boat as you. Looking for some speed and torque increase. I sent an email to plum quick as they seem to be having a sale.

This post is about a year and a half old. Pretty sure they’re gone forever…

That said, if range is a concern, upgrading motor or controller draws more current and will only shorten the range further from where you’re already at.

I’d consider starting off with a fresh battery pack with some good quality batteries. Or better yet, upgrade to lithium. You’ll notice speed and torque increases due to lighter weight and higher more stable voltage available under a load. Plus the range/runtime can be significantly better.

If your cart is an iq cart, a speed magnet will make a nice boost of speed especially when paired with lithium. If it’s an excel cart, you’d need a controller upgrade to remove the speed limitations programmed in the factory controller.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 08:44 AM   #4
Acausing
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Precedent Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
This post is about a year and a half old. Pretty sure they’re gone forever…

That said, if range is a concern, upgrading motor or controller draws more current and will only shorten the range further from where you’re already at.

I’d consider starting off with a fresh battery pack with some good quality batteries. Or better yet, upgrade to lithium. You’ll notice speed and torque increases due to lighter weight and higher more stable voltage available under a load. Plus the range/runtime can be significantly better.

If your cart is an iq cart, a speed magnet will make a nice boost of speed especially when paired with lithium. If it’s an excel cart, you’d need a controller upgrade to remove the speed limitations programmed in the factory controller.

CP241, sorry I should have put my cart details in there. 2014 Precedent, serial# JE1411-445896 Trojan batteries are about a year old now. stock tires for now but upgrading to 20”, rear seat. On flat ground I can get up to about 18mph based on my phone gps. We use it to cruise the neighborhood that has a few small hills and to do yard work around the property. Id like to get it to 20-25mph. Range is not a huge concern as we only do a few miles max per day. Any suggestions are appreciated

Here is a link to my build. I’m this far so I figure why not finish my build now!!! Like I said I have a set of wheels and tires coming 12” metallic bronze blackjacks with 20” stingers.

Old 12-25-2022, 12:32 PM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I’m sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but here’s my take.

A PQ bandit is basically a rewound stock motor and they install a speed magnet. The stock IQ magnet has 8 poles (north and south times 4 each). The speed magnet has 4 poles, so the stock controller sees half the pulse count from the magnet and thinks the motor is spinning half the speed it actually is. Because of this, the stock 14mph or whatever setting in the controller is bumped to double that. And you’ll generally blow the motor up over revving it before you hit that new “top speed of 14mph” because it’s now 28mph. And with a stock controller you’ll run out of juice before you get to that speed.

The excel system (like what you have) already has a 4 pole magnet. So the speed magnet doesn’t work in those. A PQ will give a little extra torque than you have now, but I don’t believe it will change the speed any. The controller bases speed on motor RPM for whatever speed setting it is programmed to.

However, if you upgrade the controller to an alltrax it will not only allow more torque because it supplies more amperage than the stock controller does, it will also allow more speed because it isn’t limited like the stock controller is.

I think with a 400A alltrax and a HD solenoid, it will get you both the speed and extra torque you’re looking for, even without touching your stock motor. And it will also give you more options down the road for an actual upgrade motor should you decide to go that route.

PQ Bandit is a decent upgrade for series or IQ over stock, with everything else being stock. But it won’t compare to an actual upgraded motor.

This is my personal experience anyway. My cart is an IQ DS. I blew up my bandit, and bought an admiral to replace it. The admiral is way stronger than the PQ was, still running stock controller though and lithium batteries.

Give David hicks at revolution golf cars a call on Monday. He’ll be able to set you up www.revolutiongolfcars.com
He’s a great guy to work with, and won’t BS you or try and sell you stuff you don’t need
Old 12-25-2022, 01:17 PM   #6
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I agree with CP on David but not sure if he will be available Monday as schools are closed for Xmas break and he is a big family man. If he doesn’t answer leave a message and he will get back with you.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 01:40 PM   #7
Acausing
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Awesome. Thanks for the input. That sounds like it’s exactly what I’m trying to achieve. I’ll reach out to David later in the week.

Old 12-26-2022, 06:22 PM   #8
expoman55
Getting Wild
Club Car

Hey CP, As always you put in the details that provide the answers.. THANK YOU! Now I have more questions LOL.. You said in your explanation above that the Alltrax does not use the same speed sensor magnet for to detect the revolution / speed. How do does alltrax detect the speed? Just curious as I plan to install a 400 soon in my 06-ccp!
expoman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 07:10 PM   #9
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by expoman55 View Post
Hey CP, As always you put in the details that provide the answers.. THANK YOU! Now I have more questions LOL.. You said in your explanation above that the Alltrax does not use the same speed sensor magnet for to detect the revolution / speed. How do does alltrax detect the speed? Just curious as I plan to install a 400 soon in my 06-ccp!
Installing an alltrax has nothing to do with the speed sensor or the motor itself. The alltrax you can program it as a 4 or 8 pole magnet. But more importantly, the alltrax does not limit motor RPM (cart speed) like the factory controller does. You can set these limitations on your own if you like with the alltrax toolkit, but by default it is not going to limit you to “speed codes” like the stock curtis does.
Old 12-31-2022, 10:04 AM   #10
expoman55
Getting Wild
Club Car

Just gonna say I installed an ALLTRAX XCT 48400-IQ and honestly thought it would go a bit better.. I had a working cart, followed instructions to a 't' and now my cart is disabled until I can get a hold of AllTrax next week when they return from Holiday. So just saying to anyone thinking it will be a plug and play .... don't plan on it.. Now that said Scotty has been extremely helpful in troubleshooting remotely with me. I realize it was a holiday week ( stupid idea to upgrade over holiday) and I am not his only customer either so that said.. Dang things should not be this sensitive on install. No OBC involved clean OBC Delete following the sticky here on BGW. And Again Scotty has been patient with me in my urge to get the cart back on line. Hes had to teach this old dog how to use the took kit( which I like as it shows whats going on. Just needed to say. Not sure why these things are so finicky but it is what it is.. Ill just turn up my patient potentiometer and wait.. Perhaps more coffee.
expoman55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
controller, motor, torque
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car